• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Euphemisms????

Aspieistj

I absolutely hate them. I don't plan to "pass away"---I am going to die. I am sorry if your brother was so stupid he poisoned himself with multiple drugs but I think calling it being sorry for your loss is bland and really says nothing. My dog was about to die and I didn't really understand that she was very close to death. I would have euthanized (another euphemism?) her 5 hours before I finally made the decision if only two different vets told me something more specific than that she was in very serious condition. I finally caught the drift when I was asked if I wanted to make her a DNR. They kept doing tests and giving her blood and meds until I finally told one of them that I am an Aspie and I deal in concrete words. I said I needed a concrete prognosis and they had to tell me the percent of her possible survival if they did surgery. I asked if she had a 10 % chance of survival and the vet swallowed hard and said, "Yeah, about that." If she had told me earlier I could have spared the wonderful little dog FIVE hours of suffering as they prolonged her life and let her suffer. How is it better to be an NT?????

I quite like euphemisms and related things (word play and whatever else you have). Perhaps it's that I just like creative language use. The main issue I have with such things is that not everyone gets them and they're quite often not the best way to communicate.

Also; I think professionals should call a spade a spade.

I'm happy with some, perhaps purely because I've gotten used to them over the years. Many I find distracting, even if I get what they mean, because I'm stuck translating and comparing the literal versus euphemistic meaning, ie: calling a spade a spade; I know what Oni means and even appreciate the creative language use, but it's not a spade, its saying what you mean. I don't believe I'm being pedantic, I really just find euphemisms either distracting or incomprehensible.

*ahem*

As a response to that question "How is it better to be an NT?" I would like to remind anyone participating in this thread that we will not tolerate NT bashing.

I guess they thought they were being clear. The fact that a dog had to suffer extra because of this assumption makes me want to punch something, but you'd have thought someone of higher education – at least one of them – would have been intelligent and compassionate enough to tell you in clean words instead of blabbering.

As to the concept of euphemisms, it is generally best to learn a few, so you can at least guess at what people really mean. A similar thing happened to my dog (pictured) in May; the vets told my mother something vague and my mother, who is about as neurotypical as they come, didn't understand that they meant: "she is dying, so get here NOW if you want to say good bye."

I don't suppose vets have some special code that they somehow expect people who are not vets to just understand, although I can't think of any other professions that do that sort of thing right now.

I quite like euphemisms in general conversation, as I like puns, double entendres and other such means of word play. However, when life is at stake, or suffering is taking place, this is no time to play games or try to be "sensitive." Just spit it out in plain, unvarnished English (or whatever language is understood). I'd be very angry, too, if one of my cats had to suffer needlessly just because I was given a vague prognosis on which to base my decisions. Not being one, I really couldn't say about NTs in general, but I would assume they would also appreciate a clear diagnosis and/or prognosis from a medical professional.

I enjoy metaphors and euphemisms and general word play, but I do get irritated easily when somebody slaps a flowery term on a gruesome subject to assuage their own bloody guilt. I can understand being tactful, but vague is outright cruel and counterproductive nearly as much as being rude and abusive.

I honestly don't know what would be the advantage of being one of those flowery people who walk on tiptoe too much. Take my dad's side of the family, in example. They're normal on the AQ scale. There are days and incidents I have a clear upperhand in tactfulness and being diplomatic. The majority of my bluntness learned, I'm not sure how much is natural as an autistic person. I have seen the "cut the crap or get out" face quite a few times from them. Heh, I was kind of raised to find people who dance around a bad subject were the ones with the social ineptitude and in need of conditioning and training. :D

I quite like euphemisms and related things (word play and whatever else you have). Perhaps it's that I just like creative language use. The main issue I have with such things is that not everyone gets them and they're quite often not the best way to communicate.

Also; I think professionals should call a spade a spade.

Completely matches to what I think.

I love words. Euphemisms, metaphors, sayings, meanings, definitions, word play and what more. I don't always use them myself but I love reading them and figuring out their meanings.
But there are some professions were people should just be straight with you (doctors, lawyers, etc) and not hide behind sugar-coated words...

I am smart enough to know when a spade is a shovel and when it is of a suite. you can say to me, "die, pass away, kick the bucket, pass on, go belly up, etc. and it would make no difference because they are all nearly the same for me. being that I am of a spiritual bent, I believe that "pass on" or "pass away" has a more hopeful bent.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry your dog had to suffer. Letting my dog fall asleep was the most painful decision I ever had to make, I still cry when I think about it, I miss him so much. I could of course say having the vet kill my dog, which would be more accurate, but to me it's like a description of an event, it does not convey how I feel about the situation. It's cold and pragmatic. To me, he fell asleep in my arms and then stopped breathing.

New Threads

Top Bottom