• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Euchre

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
My wife wants to have a baby shower, for our expectant mother of our granddaughter. in a couple of months and my responsibility is to look after the guys who turn up after dropping off their wives at the venue. I am going to get them playing euchre at the house and it occurred to me this particular card game is sort of unique to manly Ontario Canada, sort of penetrated some northern states and Florida. How many here are familiar with this game. It is huge in the countryside I learned how to play years ago. Very popular with church groups. most popular term is Trumping the other team's card. and no, it has nothing to do with Donald.

Huh, interesting... I'm all about card games and board games, but I'd never once heard of this before.

And Wikipedia says this game is the origin of the Joker cards being a part of traditional card decks. Didnt know that.

I clicked on this thread having no clue what that was, I thought it was a Biblical reference or something lol

I'm also a big fan of traditional card games and I had never heard of it before.

I have a history of the game in my 40 year old encyclopedia Britannica which is different than Wikipedia. The game is old first came from Germany developed by the Pennsylvanian Dutch who brought it to Ontario. During the American revolutionary war from here it spread to some northern states and western Canada my wife is Pennsylvanian Dutch descent, so the game has been in her family for over 200 years. Great game really popular with church groups where they play tournaments. Everybody in rural Ontario plays we play neighborhood tournaments with friends in the people's back yards in the summer. Most city folk are not familiar with it looks like it is spreading like a wildfire.in
The U. S. Florida in particular due to the snowbirds from Ontario.

My son is really looking forward to learning how to play as he heard rumors about the game from some of his friends. More fun than poker not as complex as bridge. perfect game for all ages during my wife's time hosting the baby shower. The guest of honour is Albanian, and she has no idea what a baby shower is. my wife is a brutal euchre player but will have to miss out.

I'm not a game player but I enjoy this game.

Last edited:
Huh, interesting... I'm all about card games and board games, but I'd never once heard of this before.

And Wikipedia says this game is the origin of the Joker cards being a part of traditional card decks. Didnt know that.
The jokers are the bowers the highest most important cards left and right bowers. As they say turn down a bower lose for an hour.

I used to live in Flint.
Flint is an industrial town (car manufacture).
Euchre was popular with the people who
worked in the factories.
They played it during breaks at work because it was a fast game.

I used to live in Flint.
Flint is an industrial town (car manufacture).
Euchre was popular with the people who
worked in the factories.
They played it during breaks at work because it was a fast game.

Flint, Michigan? Isn't that city famous for something? I'm sure I have heard of Flint before but right now I don't remember why or what it was.

MIchigan borders Ontario. so over the years it spread over the border. Adults can play kids can play. Nothing beats a barbeque. Friends couples even singles a few drinks and a tournament. Breaking up 2:00 in the morning. The old people insist on using 2 and3 for counting. Us younger folks like 5's. tradition dies hard.

I grew up playing Euchre, it was a very popular game here. There's many variations on the rules depending on who's house you were playing at. I hated playing teams though and would only play cut-throat. I always preferred it when there was 3 players.

I couple of years ago we meet a couple who actually were professional players I did not know this was a thing tournaments for money.

Doing some reading game popular in England only on port cities, popular in Australia and New Zealand but with different variations. Bottom line game really popular in rural Ontario if your old enough to talk your old enough to learn to play, wife learned from her grandmother.

I loved Euchre when I learned it in High School in the far southeast of Michigan. We older students would play for hours. Now that I've moved i can't find anyone who plays or is interested in learning. Sad.

Now that I've moved i can't find anyone who plays or is interested in learning.

An unfortunate curse that often follows anyone interested in card or board games, unfortunately.

Certainly drives me crazy. I strictly play solo games myself, or games that can in some way be played solo (like co-op board/card games) but there's so many games out there that LOOK like a lot of fun, but I've nobody to play with, so I cant do them.

It's frustrating.

New Threads

Top Bottom