• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employment Poll

What Level of Employment Have You Currently Obtained

• Unemployed due to disability

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Unemployed but seeking work

• Unemployed long term- able bodied- not seeking work

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Gigs or temporary jobs

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Entry level job

• Supervisory level employment, not requiring college degree

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Job requiring college degree or trade school

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Supervisory level employment, requiring college degree or trade school

• Entrepreneur

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Independently Wealthy, Retired, or Trust Fund

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
I've been on disability for 6 years now. I tried working once. It was at a grocery store. I worked for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. It didn't take long for me to be overwhelmed and unable to handle it. I was a cleaner so it wasn't even the fact that there was customer interaction (although the few times I did interact with customers that was nerve-wracking as well). After I left I got diagnosed with GAD and depression. I got meds and that helps. I still don't understand how people out there can do 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. That's just amazing to me.

Last edited:
I have only had one job. It's entry level in a factory and I've managed to hold it for almost a year. It's kind of menial and isn't anything fancy or anything that I could really be promoted out of unless, I got put into an entirely different position. I do my job well, but I don't get noticed too much because I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself most of the time.

After Navy technical training, I really struggled with unemployment & under-employment. I spent about four years working for various cell phone manufacturers, then more unemployment/under-employment.

My longest job was 13 years as a part-time carrier for a local free paper before retiring on disability. They almost fired me a couple of times because other carriers were dumping their papers in the trash. (My recipients called them to commend what a good job I was doing.)

Last edited:
I have worked at dozens of jobs and in several professions. I’ve been a car hop, a waitress, a nurse, a college teacher, researcher, state park naturalist, handspinner, farmer. I can‘t even think of them all.

I retire this Friday, March 31, from my own business that I have had for more than 20 years.

I guess intrepreneur, because I'm a self-employed language teacher, but I also do temporary work in the form of proofreading and translations to supplement my income.
How do you get the proofreading/translating work? I was considering that route about a decade ago, but there was some kind of bidding system that I knew I couldn't compete with and I needed to be more efficient with my time. But if there's a fairly easy way, I could use the supplement income.

How do you get the proofreading/translating work? I was considering that route about a decade ago, but there was some kind of bidding system that I knew I couldn't compete with and I needed to be more efficient with my time. But if there's a fairly easy way, I could use the supplement income.
It was a bit of luck really, through a personal contact. I couldn't do the bidding thing either. You could also try a putting a notice on an online platform for selling and buying, I got some work this way.

I'm unemployed and have been my whole life. I'm trying to find work, but it's hard when you have no experience whatsoever.

It's not like I'm picky either, but I am limited via not having a car or means of transportation.

I work a lot, always on several projects - so if something goes wrong with job #1 and I start feeling like it's the end of the world, I can switch to my work with the people of job #2 until I feel better - so far it works.

New Threads

Top Bottom