• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Electronic auctions and feedback

Rocco

Wandering Trainwreck
V.I.P Member
Leaving feedback is my primary focus here, based on how I frequently use an online auction site to make special interst purchases.

I like to leave positive 5 star feedback, but I am really picky about things like shipping time, packaging, condition, etc.

I feel guilty for not leaving people feedback, when I have some issue with some aspect of the purchase.

For example, today I received two mint sealed 2015 nickels (.05 cent coin). They are still sealed in the original untouched mint plastic, but one coin has a scratch, from manufacturing, and the seller used cheap packing tape to attach them to the receipt.
The scratch is obviously not the sellers fault, but the terrible tape job is, which left glue residue all over the sealed plastic encasing the coin.

All in all not a big deal, but I am annoyed still.
As a seller on two major online sales sites, I know how important positive feedback and comments are. I take extra special care with packaging when shipping anything.

I don't want to make an issue of the transaction, so I probably will just never leave feedback. To me it's not worth it to ding someone on feedback, with less than 5 stars.

What do you do in similar situations, with online auctions/ purchases?

I go the no feedback route as well.. unless there was something horribly wrong with the transaction. Maybe send a message to the seller saying the tape was irritating so he/she maybe won't do that on other transactions.

I'd be prompted to give public negative feedback only in the event the product was actually damaged in any way or didn't live up to my expectations in terms of its function.

Legitimacy of consumer reviews is of big importance to me. I see so many "suspect" reviews so often, it's forced me to only pay them real attention in the event they are in the hundreds of thousands. That the law of large numbers must weigh in, for me to take severe criticisms seriously. Competition is keen in so many areas...so I wouldn't put it past anyone to post bogus complaints. It seems especially problematic when looking at apartment reviews, more so though than say electronics.

In as much as I want to acknowledge most consumer reviews, I often find myself questioning their legitimacy. Very frustrating at times.

I use ebay and always send feedback.

But first to answer your particular issue. Why not email them and give them a "friendly" word of advice about taping and explain that it leaves a residue on the coin? Perhaps others have had the same, but no one bothers to say anything or just gives negative feedback but not mention the issue and thus, the poor seller is none the wiser and continues to use cheap tape.

Because you emailed them, that will free you up to give good feedback for the positive aspects.

Feedback is VERY important. As a seller myself, I can tell you, that without feedback ie good or bad, it would be very hard to trust the seller.

What I do also, is go into the sellers feedback and view about half a dozen positives and negatives. I look to see how many within the latest month; are there bad feedback from the previous months. Because you see, there are many nasty buyers out there who give damn right, unwarranted bad feedback, which gives a twisted picture. Also, and this does take a bit of time and dedication, but scroll through to see if you can find feedback on the item you want. I recently purchased an mp3 player and I chose it because the feedback was good for that model. There was another type but the buyer said the plastic was cheap and so, I decided to not take my chance.

I recently purchased some canvas or my cross stitching and the next moment, I could not believe that the seller without prompting REIMBURSED me £1 or 1$ ( for those who use the $) for postage. I wanted immediately to send her feedback but reigned myself in and waited for the package to arrive and it did and I gave her a much deserved positive feedback. Before, this another seller did a good turn and I was so happy that I sent good feedback but the item arrived in bad condition!!

I go the no feedback route as well.. unless there was something horribly wrong with the transaction. Maybe send a message to the seller saying the tape was irritating so he/she maybe won't do that on other transactions.

Promise I am not copying your answer lol

eBay doesn't give me a 5 star choice. I get to choose between "did ya like it" and "do not want". So on the comment line I just cram in what they did right in 40 characters or less, or whatever that Twitter limit is everybody is using nowadays.

The only time I really wanted to file a complaint was when I ordered a book and they didn't ask about "signed delivery". I didn't want or need it, but they put it down for a signed delivery anyway. I'm already having trouble with the mail carrier (what moron thinks we'd leave a baby here alone?), and it didn't go over well to say the least.

Back when I used ebay regularly, I never left negative feedback. Most of the time I left positive feedback. In recent years I've switched to local online auctions. There isn't as much choice, but there isn't as much bidding competition ether. There is no freight charge, since I can go pick it up. There are three online auctions in this area, so the choice isn't all that bad ether. If I was selling a lot, I would go back to ebay.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Ooooooooooooo!!! I won two old coins for 1/3 of their value!!! It's a come up for me, bummer for the seller. I'm shocked no one else bid against me. :D :) :D

New Threads

Top Bottom