• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating Habits

I am such a picky eater. While everybody else my age now eats unidentifiable stuff that looks and smells disgusting, I eat chicken tenders, grilled cheese, plain hamburgers, and food like that. Many other foods make me sick just looking at them. Sometimes I wish I could eat more "complex" food like everyone else, but that's never going to happen,

I dont even try to get over the texture issue. For me, I just eat what I want. I make sure that I eat some red meat each week and I have a portion of veg/carb/protein each day. At the moment I am eating mostly mixed nuts in vallia yoghurt. For the 4 weeks before it was mostly sweetcorn and the weeks before that was mostly carrots, swede, sweet potato and butternut squash.

As long as you are getting the nutrients your body needs and enough calories to get by (and of course that you are not overloading your body with unhealthy food), don't worry about what you eat.

What's curious to me is how some of my clients have such an extreme aversion to certain foods, but then as I get them to try new things that aversion goes away. I'd love to know what happens in their mind when they no longer feel a food is "yucky" and actually enjoy and seek it out.

I have always been an extremely picky eater but I have less of a problem with texture than with taste. I genuinely find the taste of most things terrible. It is horribly inconvenient and I can barely go to restaurants. Fancy restaurants have menu items with a larger number of ingredients and always there is something on every one of them I can't stand. When I join other people for a meal I usually end up eating very little while claiming not to be hungry and praying my stomach doesn't growl, or I have to choke down something I find very unpleasant and try to hide the reflexive grimace with a napkin. Unfortunately I love sweet things and junk food. I try hard to eat a somewhat healthy diet but it is very difficult when I crave all the bad stuff and hate all the good stuff. My family gets that I have food issues and am not just being picky, but my mother can't help but lecture me on my weight and eating habits. It is just something in my life that I have to deal with and it feels good to know I am not the only one with food issues.

The foods we eat! I cannot deal with fat or gristle in meat. I am old, 70-something, and to get by I learned to deal with some things. Meat: if in any doubt I insist on hamburger. A hamburger in bun is anonymous; as a primary entree hamburger can be eaten with other food, gravy, something. I can deal with most hamburger. I buy and cook my own steaks (I live alone, cook for myself) and only buy steak like top sirloin (infrequently and on sale; money is always tight-- yes :)) that has no "marbling." I like salad veggies. I keep and use a big bowl of salad in my fridge. Diced pear tomatoes, diced onion, spinach leaves (from a ready-to-use-bag), and sliced or chopped black olives (a can). I make my own dressing: Apple Cider vinegar or a wine vinegar and California-grown olive oil drizzled over salad with some Mixed Italian Spices and a trace of salt. The salad also sautees well and can be mixed with chicken or I buy Fully-Cooked Smoked or Andouille sausage (cut in 1/2 inch lengths, microwave in small bowl with a little water for 5 minutes) that goes well with salad either cold or sauteed.

Sometimes I make a slow-cooker roast. Very small roast in my little cooker, lots of onion, I am on a careful diet because I am much too fat, skip potatoes, maybe cabbage added late in the cook cycle. There are recipes to follow for that. And this is only when I overcome my dislike of long-cook durations.

I have no problems with microwaves. I have two big 1100 watt units. I have no patience with long cook times. Usually. When it is time to eat, I am hungry, I want my food right now. An hour of prep and an hour in the oven is too involved and I mostly would rather just stay hungry. I have recipes that can go from raw ingredients in the fridge or pantry to the table with 10 - 15 minutes prep and 15 minutes in the microwave. And those are the complicated ones. Most meals serve hot in 10 minutes total.

Hot veggie entrees for microwave are in the frozens at the supermarket. The small ones are really for two people to share but can be eaten by one person. Broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce. Store brands are good and cheaper than big-name brands. Corn or spinach souffle. Creamed spinach. Some of it depends on what you may personally like or dislike. Sometimes there is eggplant in a casserole form and I love eggplant. I buy Creamed Chipped Beef because it doesn't seem really like meat. It cooks for 7 minutes and I add a tablespoon or two of milk (and it always boils over. Keep a plate under. I use paper plates for this.) I serve it on toast and it is a big meal.

I buy sliced sectioned ham (Cure 81?). A couple of slices, a glass of milk, maybe a slice of bread is a very quick meal with no fuss. Sometimes I just can't face the taste of the ham and find something else.

Eggs: Cannot even look at pictures of runny eggs without wanting to gag. My eggs are hard-boiled for 10 minutes and flooded with soy sauce when I eat them. Every 5 to 10 weeks I hard-boil and peel a half-dozen eggs, put them in a Zip-Lock in the fridge and have them for a week. If they get too old, the dog loves them. Or mix them into a cold salad with extra vinegar. Eggs can be microwave-scrambled and are ready in 3 minutes. (Melt a teaspoon of butter in a small bowl, 5 seconds. Coat the inside of the bowl for non-stick. Break one or two eggs into bowl; add a tablespoon of milk and a little salt. I add a teaspoon of soy sauce instead of salt. Nuke for 3 minutes: at 1 minute & 10 seconds stir the eggs and stir each 20 seconds after until eggs are done to your preference. My scrambled eggs are not done to my preference unless they are cooked so hard they will bounce. I usually add a handful of shredded Mozzarella cheese for the last 20 seconds and then sometimes cook for another minute. Mix in some diced tomato and cook it along with the egg (cook time 4 or 5 minutes). Makes great sandwich [or 2 eggs make 2 sandwiches] on toast. If you are using a small home lower-power microwave the cooking time will be much longer.)

The Internet is deluged with cooking blogs and recipes. A quick search for anything I am interested in, any kind of complete or partial recipe or cooking instruction, produces more results than I can use.

Last edited:
I have always been an extremely picky eater but I have less of a problem with texture than with taste. I genuinely find the taste of most things terrible. It is horribly inconvenient and I can barely go to restaurants. Fancy restaurants have menu items with a larger number of ingredients and always there is something on every one of them I can't stand. When I join other people for a meal I usually end up eating very little while claiming not to be hungry and praying my stomach doesn't growl, or I have to choke down something I find very unpleasant and try to hide the reflexive grimace with a napkin. Unfortunately I love sweet things and junk food. I try hard to eat a somewhat healthy diet but it is very difficult when I crave all the bad stuff and hate all the good stuff. My family gets that I have food issues and am not just being picky, but my mother can't help but lecture me on my weight and eating habits. It is just something in my life that I have to deal with and it feels good to know I am not the only one with food issues.

Yes I've always thought this. It always seems the most expensive the food, the worse it is. I like things cheap and simple. It's not just being in a fancy restaurant that makes me feel uncomfortable and out of place, it's the food too.

Yes I eat a lot of what is considered junk too. But I eat just one thing. I rarely eat a meal unless someone else makes it. My ex used to say "you can't just have that, you have to have something to go with it". Well sorry, what it considered a side dish to most is good enough to be my whole dinner. Like a box of stuffing. Or a can of beans or pears.

Another thing that bothers me especially on cooking shows, is how they have to put booze in EVERYTHING. I don't drink. Well it doesn't so much bother me, it's more amusing because you know they're going to go for the booze sooner or later.

I eat pretty much the same thing day in day out. Never get sick of it. Variety isn't in my food dictionary. It makes it easy in so far as I don't waste time thinking about what to buy, what to eat.

I avoid a few foods because of texture. I will not eat eggs if the yolk is even a little runny. I don't like scrambled eggs unless there's things in them that make it less gushy. I also won't eat soggy cereal or bread. I also won't eat meat unless it's cooked all the way through.

I will not eat eggs if the yolk is even a little runny. I don't like scrambled eggs unless there's things in them that make it less gushy.

My dad makes something he calls mangled eggs. It started out as a screw up and a joke but I like it. Basically fried eggs with the yolks cooked hard, then chopped into little pieces and with a little pepper.

I can't eat cereal, I also avoid most meat, especially 'cold cuts' such as sliced ham. I do like battered cod and chicken breast (never on the bone) it has to be thoroughly cooked to the point of being very dry. I enjoy sauces as long as its just a light drizzle and nothing creamy. I can't drink cows milk because it makes me vomit. As a child I was given 'room temperature' milk to drink during snack time at nursery. For me it was tantamount to torture. It has the most disgusting smell and leaves a horrible thick coating in my mouth. Vile stuff. However I like mild cheese, custard and ice cream, (as long as it's not with dry food that has become saturated by it) I contradict myself when it comes to dairy.
I can't stand the smell of hot food gone cold. It is awful.

I am such a picky eater. While everybody else my age now eats unidentifiable stuff that looks and smells disgusting, I eat chicken tenders, grilled cheese, plain hamburgers, and food like that. Many other foods make me sick just looking at them. Sometimes I wish I could eat more "complex" food like everyone else, but that's never going to happen,

Same here! "Unindentifiable stuff that looks disgusting" - that is exactly how I feel about most of the food at potlucks and such (even restaurants). I don't eat a lot at those because I don't even know what half of the dishes are, and no one will tell me.
I love my food plain. If I want a specific kind of food, I'll eat it alone, not mix it up in some kind of casserole with everything else I can find in my kitchen. And if I'm eating out or at someone else's house, I often separate the parts of my food and eat them individually.

Many preservatives, dyes, and other additives are probably safe but as many others have noted we cannot trust the FDA to tell us the truth. It is very sad and disturbing that large corporations are able to unduly influence government safety standards. So the best route is to eat foods that are as natural as possible.

I really struggle to drink, but I love to eat watery vegetables eg carrots and cucumber instead.

That pretty much describes how I eat. I can pretty much eat the same exact things every day, and it's all very simple things like that.

It's funny, I was just in Portland, Oregon a few weeks ago, and we went to this complex where they have a bunch of food vendors that sell food out of trucks. I literally had to go through at least like 30 or 40 of them before I finally found one that even sold hamburgers. I thought I was going to have to go without eating lunch that day. :mad:

I've gotten better with foods since I've started to learn how to cook for myself. I get better at it with each dish and a lot of it is becoming more intuitive for me. I also go through phases. Right now, I care a lot about eating a healthy diet, so I try to keep things both simple and balanced (lots of raw fruits and vegetables, protein, cooked vegetables, and nuts and oils). I try not to eat sweetened baked goods unless I make them myself (I learned how to make poptarts). I want to stay in a healthy phase because when I get into an unhealthy one (stressed and eating lots of candy), I gain weight.

I don't think I have a problem with textures, though I prefer blended foods. I'd rather drink a blended soup than a chunky one. I'd rather eat smooth greek yogurt than cottage cheese. I have preferences, but I don't think I have problems as in limitations.

My dad makes something he calls mangled eggs. It started out as a screw up and a joke but I like it. Basically fried eggs with the yolks cooked hard, then chopped into little pieces and with a little pepper.

sounds like how it ends when I try to make eggs "over easy" (easy my ---!) not a fan of eating yellow goo!

New Threads

Top Bottom