• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating Habits

I can't resist a quick fact-check on one of the issues you raised (though not the only one that needs one), that of propylene glycol. It's not ACTUALLY antifreeze (though it has some antifreeze properties) and is quite safe: NeuroLogica Blog » OMG – The Chemicalz

However, trying a new thing each week is an excellent suggestion. It's best to vary one's diet as much as possible. There are a wide variety of foods that can give you the nutrients you need, so find what you like best (or at least can tolerate the most). Fresh food is ALWAYS better than processed or pre-packaged, so cooking skills come in handy. :)
I wonder who's opinion you are trusting that it is safe. History should dictate to us all that most cannot be trusted. If you choose to ingest the same chemical that I pump into heating systems to keep them from freezing, then it is your right. If you choose to trust the government, or the media, or corporate interests. it is your choice and I respect that. I also know better.
And I beg to differ, but it IS antifreeze. Why do you think they put it in there? It is so the cream stays soft enough to scoop. Otherwise it would be solid until melting.

I wonder who's opinion you are trusting that it is safe. History should dictate to us all that most cannot be trusted. If you choose to ingest the same chemical that I pump into heating systems to keep them from freezing, then it is your right. If you choose to trust the government, or the media, or corporate interests. it is your choice and I respect that. I also know better.
And I beg to differ, but it IS antifreeze. Why do you think they put it in there? It is so the cream stays soft enough to scoop. Otherwise it would be solid until melting.

Antifreeze in Your Ice Cream | The Healthy Home Economist

Wyv, I went online to check that out too and I did find an article that said it is antifreeze and there are "industry standards" that allow it to pass. This article isn't even sure if organic ice cream might have it. I'm cutting out regular ice cream now, but I might try organic. I'm cutting out Splenda now, too, (I used to cook with it) and will be trying to find a "natural" sugar like Stevia. I have almost totally cut out diet pop or anything that contains aspartame. Like I told my Ma, even people who smoke meth (read all the chemicals in that crap) aren't killed right away - it's a slow death. I wouldn't be surprised that these chemicals could be a reason for all the cancer I'm seeing more of now. That article says that they don't have to inform the consumer that antifreeze is added. That should be illegal - I can't believe the FDA lets that happen (I know aspartame is bad and it passes FDA standards).

wow, that shocks me too, but I think in some cases it might have an relation with cancer, most of the time other chemicals are the problem.

If you think of it, you notice that in history before chemicals were added people wouldn't have cancer, or at least not that often. But this extreme increase of patients is really from the last decade or so.

My Thought is, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks, common sense tells me that I stand the best chance for a healthy life if I do not ingest chemicals or other things that were never meant to go into my body.
Next, we can have the discussion about microwave cooking.

My Thought is, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks, common sense tells me that I stand the best chance for a healthy life if I do not ingest chemicals or other things that were never meant to go into my body.
Next, we can have the discussion about microwave cooking.

I just read about antifreeze in ice cream too. Disturbing.

Microwaves just destroy food texture in my experience. I much prefer oven cooked food. I suppose the problem with microwaves is that they lead to "microwave food" as in "instant meals", which seem to be made out of truly awful ingredients!! Junk food for sure :)

Microwaves just destroy food texture in my experience. I much prefer oven cooked food. I suppose the problem with microwaves is that they lead to "microwave food" as in "instant meals", which seem to be made out of truly awful ingredients!! Junk food for sure :)

Actually, the problem with microwaves is that they change the molecular structure of things. They came out around 1980. The thought of "Particle Acceleration" as a means of warming food always scared me, and I never used them. Now, the same scientific field that told us that chemicals and genetic tampering were not harmful in our food, is starting to question their use.

I'm not keen on microwaves either and I don't own one. There's always something odd about the food after it's been heated in one. It reminds me of something I saw once, a guy had two seedlings and watered them both everyday, but with one he used water that had been microwaved and then cooled. Apparently the microwave water seedling died pretty quick.

I'm not keen on microwaves either and I don't own one. There's always something odd about the food after it's been heated in one. It reminds me of something I saw once, a guy had two seedlings and watered them both everyday, but with one he used water that had been microwaved and then cooled. Apparently the microwave water seedling died pretty quick.

Yes. I find myself using them less and less...mostly only to warm things up and for microwave popcorn. I never actually try to "cook" much of anything in them. Always thought the taste of microwaved beef was disgusting.

Yeah, I find myself using microwaves less as well. Even with leftovers, it just doesn't taste the same reheated in a microwave but i do it anyways. I don't know much about whether or not its actually harmful, though. I find myself eating fresh foods more often now, rather than going with convenient microwavable meals and such. I'm looking to move from microwavable breakfasts to something more natural, too, made in advance and then reheated.

The family i babysit for, the mom wants her one and a half year old's eggs that he eats for breakfast cooked in the microwave so that's how i do it for him. But i tried them once and they tasted horrible. I might try cooking them on the stove sometimes and see what her son thinks. Quite frankly, i want eggs too. =D

Actually, the problem with microwaves is that they change the molecular structure of things.

Microwave radiation, like visible light, radio waves, infrared, etc., is low-frequency, non-ionizing radiation. Unlike higher-energy ionizing radiation, such as X-rays, gamma radiation and higher-frequency UV, the photons aren't energetic enough to strip electrons from atoms and molecules. In other words, microwave radiation doesn't contain enough punch to break molecular (chemical) bonds.

Microwaves do, however, cause water molecules to oscillate, which increases their kinetic energy and results in a temperature rise. It's the increased temperature (heat) that disrupt existing molecular bonds and form new ones. But then that's pretty much the whole point of cooking in the first place, whether in a conventional convection oven, on a stove top, over a fire or in a microwave oven.

Salt also happens to contain chlorine, but the molecular structure makes a much different chemical than bleach! Did you read the article I posted? I'm not trusting "the government, or the media, or corporate interests," I'm trusting science and the people who know what they're talking about--and oftentimes science is in conflict with those other interests. I don't know what else to say on the matter.

I'm not trusting "the government, or the media, or corporate interests," I'm trusting science and the people who know what they're talking about--and oftentimes science is in conflict with those other interests.

Science is largely funded by grants from both government and corporate interests.

There exists plenty of medicines to combat AIDS and cancer. Yet no cures...

"Trust no one." - The X-Files

Last edited:
Yeah, I find myself using microwaves less as well. Even with leftovers, it just doesn't taste the same reheated in a microwave but i do it anyways. I don't know much about whether or not its actually harmful, though. I find myself eating fresh foods more often now, rather than going with convenient microwavable meals and such. I'm looking to move from microwavable breakfasts to something more natural, too, made in advance and then reheated.
I can't remember the last time I used a microwave. Unless it's mostly liquid, I heat it up in the oven. Microwaves just destroy the texture of anything that's put in them. Ick!

I can't remember the last time I used a microwave. Unless it's mostly liquid, I heat it up in the oven. Microwaves just destroy the texture of anything that's put in them. Ick!

That's true. There's a fine line in time where it goes from being soft to extra crispy!

The worst though is overheating microwave popcorn. Oh my...."The horror....the horror!" :eek:

That's true. There's a fine line in time where it goes from being soft to extra crispy!

The worst though is overheating microwave popcorn. Oh my...."The horror....the horror!" :eek:

That's why I do popcorn on the stove. :p

My sister had a very limited personal menu as a child for unknown reasons (she's dramatically better now). Her lunch back then was peanut butter and crackers every single day. Because of this the smell of peanut butter makes me gag (no allergies, just the fact that I was exposed to it daily for several years).

Ever give any thought to one of those hot-air poppers? Been looking at them lately....hmmmmm.
Yeah...they're a bit more of a pain in the butt than they're worth, and I don't think they taste any better than microwave.

EDIT: I completely thought you meant a different product. Those hot air poppers are awful, too, as it leaves the popcorn completely dry and unseasoned.

Well I admit I am completely lazy when it comes to food. I can't stand cooking so I make things as easy as possible, which almost always involves the microwave. I cook frozen pizzas in there, I like them better soft anyway. And I cooked pot pies in there before they started coming with the microcrisp holder. Other than that, I'll cook a can of soup in there, or just eat a can of pears or beans or something as-is.

My theory on cancer, based on things I've read, are a couple of things. First lack of oxygen. Pollutants not only displace available oxygen in the air, but when in the bloodstream they displace oxygen too. And second, the typical diet where nearly everything turns to an acidic environment where cancer can thrive. So that's a secondary reason I discovered later for my eating baking soda to knock out the acid. To not only control heartburn and GERD, but to push the body to a more alkaline state where things like cancer can't thrive very well or at all. So I've read anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom