• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating/drinking, food pocketing

Emum

Hi everyone I am new here. I hope someone can relate or give some advice.

My son is 9 and has a diagnosis or autism since the age of 4. He is non verbal with very little understanding and limited communication.

He has always been a very fussy eater but he’s ate (in the past) but for the last few month his eating has gotten worse. It’s now so bad he’s lost 4kg in a month. He weight now is 24kg. He eats and drinks but doesn’t actually swallow it and spits out everything he eats and drinks. He will hold it in his mouth then spit out.

I have contacted the doctors many times and get nothing back at all. I am currently keeping a food diary which I have been for a few weeks and just feel hopeless. I worry he’s getting slimmer every day and it’s a constant worry. I don’t know what to do for the best. The health professionals don’t seem to help. They have said they will weigh him and his school have referred him to a dietitian but heard from them even if I do they will only offer shakes and I don’t think that will work as the issue is he is not swallowing anything.

Have you taken him to a doctor, to see whether
there's a physical situation going on?

Iv taken him 3 times. He’s had height and weight done twice and they’ve seen he’s lost weight but they don’t seem to have an answer other than monitor his weight.

Iv also contacted cahms asking for their help as he’s on the waiting list due to him having anxiety but these things take time and am so worried at how much weight he’s loosing, am close to getting private healthcare but worried about the costs

I was thinking of something more informative than
just measuring height and weight.

Has any professional looked in his mouth?
Examined teeth and tongue?
Done any imaging of throat area?
Checked out the stomach?

Perhaps it’s an issue of the flavor or texture of the food he’s spitting out. If he can’t communicate to you that he doesn’t like something, maybe he found out a way to say he doesn’t like it.

The reality of my life is this: I ate ham and turkey sandwiches twice a day for over 10 years. One day I just lost my taste for that and now I really hate ham and turkey sandwiches. When I was a child I loved canned spinach, but I would cringe at fresh spinach.

I would suggest that you try everything you can think of for him to eat. Salty, sweet, eggs, even ice cream. Think about texture too. Certain textures in food will make me vomit. And I associate food with life experiences. So if I’m eating chicken and someone yells at me for leaving the toilet seat up, I’ll hate chicken forever.

Keep trying with the Dr. but don’t be surprised if he can’t offer more than a hospital and a feeding tube. 99% of doctors don’t have any clue how Autism affects every facet of life. Asking people like those on this forum may be the best move right now. We all have issues with food in ways that we barely understand ourselves

As AspieChris mentioned textures. My daughter was/still is very texture focused . She also would not touch chicken with bones in or meat with bones and we did not do turkeys ever because of it when she was small. And she didn't have eating issues really, it was the texture or appearance for her. She is 36 now and still avoids certain food textures or appearances. I had similar thoughts to @tree as well.

It does sound like there might be a problem with the texture of certain foods. Try a variety or foods to see if he will try anything. Leave various foods out on the table and tell him he can take what he likes. Leave him on his own to choose food if at all possible, don't watch him (or make it obvious to him that you are watching), that might make it worse.

Hi everyone I am new here. I hope someone can relate or give some advice.

My son is 9 and has a diagnosis or autism since the age of 4. He is non verbal with very little understanding and limited communication.

He has always been a very fussy eater but he’s ate (in the past) but for the last few month his eating has gotten worse. It’s now so bad he’s lost 4kg in a month. He weight now is 24kg. He eats and drinks but doesn’t actually swallow it and spits out everything he eats and drinks. He will hold it in his mouth then spit out.

I have contacted the doctors many times and get nothing back at all. I am currently keeping a food diary which I have been for a few weeks and just feel hopeless. I worry he’s getting slimmer every day and it’s a constant worry. I don’t know what to do for the best. The health professionals don’t seem to help. They have said they will weigh him and his school have referred him to a dietitian but heard from them even if I do they will only offer shakes and I don’t think that will work as the issue is he is not swallowing anything.
Awww I instantly feel like I can understand him, cause I was very similar at his age <:) He'll get better, no need to worry. It's okay, I'm a fussy eater too. I mostly only ate a chocolate chip cookie every day, chips and fruit. Nowadays I eat stuff according to how I'm feeling, which is new and it changes all the time, never staying the same anymore.

Also... I'm sorry for your kid. I hope he gets over his sensitivies at some point like how I'm still getting over mine. He'll either get there or it'll take longer, give it time <3

It does sound like there might be a problem with the texture of certain foods. Try a variety or foods to see if he will try anything. Leave various foods out on the table and tell him he can take what he likes. Leave him on his own to choose food if at all possible, don't watch him (or make it obvious to him that you are watching), that might make it worse.
True!!!! I know that people watching me gives me anxiety. I prefer to do things on my own without another persons direction in some cases.

As AspieChris mentioned textures. My daughter was/still is very texture focused . She also would not touch chicken with bones in or meat with bones and we did not do turkeys ever because of it when she was small. And she didn't have eating issues really, it was the texture or appearance for her. She is 36 now and still avoids certain food textures or appearances. I had similar thoughts to @tree as well.
Awww that's okay <3 She's valid.

24kg= 52 pounds at 9 years old? That is very thin.

4kg= nearly 9 pounds lost in one month.

In your country, are you able to get a second opinion from a different doctor? I am no physician, but I would diagnose him with failure to thrive.

In the interim, butter, cream cheese, and high-fat hamburger would be very good for him. Bacon and eggs. Cookies, cakes, ice cream, pudding, milk shakes, what ever it takes. Calories in should exceed calories out.

Get the weight on by any means necessary, or your precious angel could end up with a port.

edit:

I re-read your post.

Take your son to the emergency room. If he is not swallowing anything, this is dangerous.

Especially if he is nonverbal.

This is a medical emergency.

New Threads

Top Bottom