• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drowning in literature.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Well, I actually see it as a good thing to lose myself in some Proust, Chekhov or Dostoyevsky. Reading that is considerably easier than reading people around me, after all.

Currently reading The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie, and loving every word of it. I can easily see why some people found it highly offensive, though it obviously is all satirical in tone.

Anybody else read a lot of books here?

I used to but have sadly reduced the habit in the last several years. Did read a bunch of Jane Austen last year and a handful of other classics. I haven't read The Satanic Verses...yet. I really should get back to a reading habit so maybe I'll give that one a try. Last fiction I tried to read was a Henry James novel and I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Other than The Satanic Verses do you have any other recommendations?

I love to read. My father has a large collection of science fiction books, including a lot of short novels in the 100-150 page range. I used to read two of those a day, when I was in high school.

But when I get too engrossed in a book, I shut out everyone and everything else, which is not healthy for me. So I limit my serious reading to vacations or other times that I know I won't have a lot of commitments.

Latest books I've read:
Ready Player One (read it for the 4th time, in preparation for seeing the movie tomorrow)
The Rithmatist
Warbreaker
We Are Legion, and it's two sequels.

I've always been a reader. As a child I used books as an escape from my dysfunctional family.
These days I always have at least two library books and almost feel panicky if I've finished them and haven't had time to go and get more. I don't read as much as I used to though since I got addicted to online word games!

I used to but have sadly reduced the habit in the last several years. Did read a bunch of Jane Austen last year and a handful of other classics. I haven't read The Satanic Verses...yet. I really should get back to a reading habit so maybe I'll give that one a try. Last fiction I tried to read was a Henry James novel and I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Other than The Satanic Verses do you have any other recommendations?

All the imagery and references I couldn't get.

Try Foucault's pendulum. By Umberto eco (name of the rose)
Much more abstruse but valuable.

His expertise is also very interesting.

Yes, I've always enjoyed reading, though science fiction and fantasy are more my kind of thing. I'm a very slow reader, though, and don't spend as much time on it as I used to.

Saving lives is such a drag...
I'm over it, honestly. I'll just start mercy-killing like a proper Dutch doctor.

More on-topic: I'm currently reading a collection of short stories written by a Dutch pulmonologist specialized in oncology, about death and how important the role of a physician is, and how much of a difference the physician can make, in a patient's last stage of life. I usually mostly read fiction, but this is a great book to break that habit with.
I keep buying books, and getting them as presents, so I have a nice backlog in case the mood strikes me.

I'm over it, honestly. I'll just start mercy-killing like a proper Dutch doctor.

More on-topic: I'm currently reading a collection of short stories written by a Dutch pulmonologist specialized in oncology, about death and how important the role of a physician is, and how much of a difference the physician can make, in a patient's last stage of life. I usually mostly read fiction, but this is a great book to break that habit with.
I keep buying books, and getting them as presents, so I have a nice backlog in case the mood strikes me.

I remember reading Celine death on the installment plan and finding it hilarious.
He just had a great 'voice'
But they still hate it in France apparently.

I always loved reading and ,perhaps like you, my buying books has been replaced with downloading samples and adding them to a list.

I don't want to generalise based on my analysis of one,other than those with an extra enthusiasm for euthenasia, but do you find your sense of humor is extra necessary?

I did read or listen to one doctor talking about end of life care,in particular.
His take was that what they did was horrendous.
He had seen many at that stage of life and he more or less said - leave them. The body finds its own way out and protects the mind as they go.
His take was let them die naturally and his experience was they die happy.

i think everybody should be given a sedative shortly before death !my mam said" im scared "ive never forgotten that .

Well, Salman Rushdie's masterpieces are Shame and Midnight's Children, so I would suggest starting with those two before moving onto The Satanic Verses. :)

I love to read. My father has a large collection of science fiction books, including a lot of short novels in the 100-150 page range. I used to read two of those a day, when I was in high school.

But when I get too engrossed in a book, I shut out everyone and everything else, which is not healthy for me. So I limit my serious reading to vacations or other times that I know I won't have a lot of commitments.

Latest books I've read:
Ready Player One (read it for the 4th time, in preparation for seeing the movie tomorrow)
The Rithmatist
Warbreaker
We Are Legion, and it's two sequels.

I bought Ready Player One a couple of years ago, I still have yet to read it. >_< I, too, can get so engrossed in a book that it becomes detrimental, so I know exactly where you are coming from there.

All the imagery and references I couldn't get.

Try Foucault's pendulum. By Umberto eco (name of the rose)
Much more abstruse but valuable.

His expertise is also very interesting.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check to see if my library has it.

i think everybody should be given a sedative shortly before death !my mam said" im scared "ive never forgotten that .
I saw an aunt in her last few days and though she couldn't speak she was obviously in need of a strong sedative.

I saw an aunt in her last few days and though she couldn't speak she was obviously in need of a strong sedative.
my mam couldn't speak !I held up a Perspex board that had letters on it !she indicated each letter with her eyes !im not a natural interpreter now i know its autism !

I like reading mostly fantasy,or paranormal romance but at the moment I am going through a dry spell it’s similar to my hobby of drawing I get Into it and then I will go months without drawing anything.

I have my childhood dream: magic books.

Between my Kindle (I get lots of cheap and good books from BookBub) and the Scribd app on my iPad ($10 a month for unlimited access to their giant library) I never run out. I am a fast reader and my favorites lately are:

• history, some really good writing is going on there
  • biography, especially a writer who spends a lot of time with the person's history and tries to understand them, like Shawn Levy
  • true crime, like Ann Rule or Jack Olsen
  • a bit of horror, since my brother is writing it, but I'm not that into today's fashions, really prefer Stephen King
  • thrillers; detective like the Prey series by John Sandford, suspense, both psychological stuff and hardboiled like Richard Stark or Lee Child -- probably my favorite genre
  • science and health
  • science fiction is the love of my life, but I had the experience of going to my local library as a shy and quiet child and just roaring through the decades of fine stuff by masters in their field, the classic stuff that had stood the test of time. This was a wonderfully immersive experience, but it means the great stuff is now doled out in teaspoons. I am frankly not that impressed by most, though I do love the approach of John Scalzi. I am sure when I have to time to experiment I can find more someones both new and good.
As far as literary goes, I run across the rare one I like, such as The English Patient, but I ran through the then-classics in my teens and early twenties, and I just have no patience these days for a lack of narrative drive, which is what a lot of these kinds of books suffer from, IMNSHO. (In my not so humble opinion.)

Narrative drive is often scorned as "plot" among the culturally elevated crowd, but they are wrong. Both character and plot are necessary. I like to see characters in action, letting these two elements inform each other.

I really dislike the common practice of meeting a character and they meander around the dining room for three chapters, remembering granny's rose perfume in miles and miles of carefully polished prose. Do something! I want to scream at them. Get on with it! And then I get to the end and there is no getting on with it to be had. Their memories of Gram's perfume are exhaustively detailed during various life crises barely glimpsed and never explained and that is all I get.

I also write, which really eats into my reading, dang it!

I read The Crucible last week. A Doll's House in January. The Lunar Chronicles between that.

Finished The Hunger Games for the second time yesterday. Haven't read it since 2012.

I read all the time. I couldn't stop if I wanted to. Books are the only things around that will speak my language.

Yes, I do. Right now I‘m into dystopian science fiction, currently reading the last book of the saga Red Rising (Goodreads winner) , Iron Gold, by Pierce Brown

New Threads

Top Bottom