• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drop some math equations here and show off your awesomeness! :)

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
You're bored. I'm bored. Everyone's bored.

But, numbers are cool, and they're fun to play with.

So I thought we could all do something fun to kill the time while doing anything, I figured it'd be a fun distraction for any math wizards in here :p

If you've got some math you've done, drop it here so we can see how awesome your autistic mind is!!

Yeah I cant do the math thing myself either.

Addition and subtraction, fine, if given enough time for larger numbers.
Multiplication? Well, okay... but it'll be slow and with mistakes.
Division? I've no idea how to do that. I never learned that.

And anything past that will get you a blank stare.

My thing is, I grew up surrounded by computers and learned them at a very young age back when they were not user friendly, so generally I get the machines to do any math I might need.

Even when I did game-dev work, that was very heavy on the calculations, but all I actually needed to do was plop whatever felt like the right sort of number kinda into whatever it was I was making, and somehow it would work, even if my code was an unholy spaghetti mess. After all, it was the machine actually performing the math. I just needed to give it the guidelines.

Didnt help that school turned the subject into torture. I swear the education system could take even a truly fascinating concept and turn it into brain melting sludge.

I envy your enthusiasm, @UberScout . When I was a kid in school maths was my favourite subject but then when I started working my life took a few different turns and maths just wasn't really used all that much in my world. The habits, the way of thinking, that never leaves you.

When I started teaching myself computer languages it was very much like doing maths again and I loved it.

i dropped out at middleschool so i only really know a couple funny looking ones like:
17*13*11*7 = 17017
80/81 = 0,98765432
or my favorite though it's not as amazing with context removed:
1+2+3+4+5+ ... = -1/12

You're bored. I'm bored. Everyone's bored.

But, numbers are cool, and they're fun to play with.

So I thought we could all do something fun to kill the time while doing anything, I figured it'd be a fun distraction for any math wizards in here :p

If you've got some math you've done, drop it here so we can see how awesome your autistic mind is!!
I had to work with these all the time.

EX=Rho/(2*3.14159)*{{[StaX-Tx2X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaX-Tx1X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}}

EY=Rho/(2*3.14159)*{{[StaY-Tx2Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaY-Tx1Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}}

It gives you the north-south and east -west voltages given signal and receiver coordinates, current, and resistivity. To find resistivity you invert to use:

RhoX=1/((EX*2*3.14159)*{{[StaX-Tx2X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaX-Tx1X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}})

RhoY=1/((EY*2*3.14159)*{{[StaY-Tx2Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaY-Tx1Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}})

Then I had to put it all on a map as vectors. Only THEN could I start figuring out what it all meant.

I had to work with these all the time.

EX=Rho/(2*3.14159)*{{[StaX-Tx2X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaX-Tx1X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}}

EY=Rho/(2*3.14159)*{{[StaY-Tx2Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaY-Tx1Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}}

It gives you the north-south and east -west voltages given signal and receiver coordinates, current, and resistivity. To find resistivity you invert to use:

RhoX=1/((EX*2*3.14159)*{{[StaX-Tx2X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaX-Tx1X]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}})

RhoY=1/((EY*2*3.14159)*{{[StaY-Tx2Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx2X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx2Y,2),1.5)]}-{ [StaY-Tx1Y]/[pow(pow(StaX-Tx1X,2)+pow(StaY-Tx1Y,2),1.5)]}})

Then I had to put it all on a map as vectors. Only THEN could I start figuring out what it all meant.

I tell ya, to someone that cant deal with all the scary math, those equations read as if your cat / dog / unexpected raccoon jumped all over the keyboard.

In school, I didn't mind working problems, but I didn't see the use of practicing individual operations, and never fully memorized the times tables. I didn't take the after-hours class in slide rule, because I expected electronic calculators to appear. My smartest math teacher wasn't smart enough to set problems involving the cars that about 1/3 of the class was busy doodling. I only got good marks in geometry.
After a friend of mine returned from Switzerland raving about a new four-function electronic calculator available there for only $1000, I started watching prices. By '76, I had discovered that the equations for the strength and flexibility of structures were quite small and handy. I started using them a lot on car design problems, getting first a programmable calculator, and then a palmtop with 4k of memory and BASIC, so I could just change one variable per iteration. I never got good at honing in on the amount to change the input to get the desired output, but it was quick enough. I designed a frame with controlled flex instead of separate suspension members for a velomobile, and it was a great success. There was one formula that was hard to look up to avoid using calculus, but I did it all with geometry and algebra.

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

Before I turned to programming, it sometimes felt like I was having a conversation with my calculator. I might hit a hundred keys in succession, and only have a vague idea of where I'd started and where I was going, but finding the right words as I needed them.

To me, one of the most interesting things about math is that boys get higher scores than girls. However, when boys use girl avatars, or girls use boy avatars as their identities, those avatars get the same "boys" doing better pattern. Math ability really is "all in our heads."

1667257941878.png

I'm not a math whiz in particular, but this is the Price equation, formulated by George R. Price in 1970. The mathematics themselves are not particularly notable, but rather what the equation describes.

The equation was developed to explain how genetics alleles ("traits") are transferred between generations depending on the change in fitness caused by the allele. Δz describes the change in trait amount from one generation to the next, w describes the population fitness, i indicates subpopulations, E means "mean" and cov stands for "covariance".

Take note that while the first part of the equation explains heritability in quite simple terms "If a certain inheritable characteristic is correlated with an increase in fractional fitness, the average value of that characteristic in the child population will be increased over that in the parent population.", the second half takes various other statistical and environmental factors into account (like genetic drift) which explains why some beneficial traits can still disappear or get less common over time.

Even though the equation was first used in biology, it is also used in economics where you have the same general principles ("populations" which contain "traits" which "grow" or "shrink" depending on "fitness").

P.S. Upon reading up on it some more, I discovered that a 2007 horror thriller named WΔZ prominently features the equation. It sounds absolutely ridiculous, but if you need something to watch on a Halloween night, I guess it's worth a shot.

I feel like a genius when I get my collisions and hitboxes just right in Pico-8, TIC-80 and Fuze (and I'm well aware that I'm the exact opposite, lol). That's about all the math I can handle on most days, but since I aspire to do way more with graphics programming than I'm currently capable of, I really need to up my math game to get there.

I always sucked at math in school, but I was never given any real practical application for it so I didn't really see the reason to actually retain any of it. Now that I've got actual motivation and a reason to learn, it's really just a matter seeking out what information I can digest in bite-sized increments and create on the screen so I know I fully understand things correctly. It's going to be a long journey, lol

New Threads

Top Bottom