• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving and Being on the Spectrum

Do you drive?

• I drive and enjoy it.

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • I drive, but hate it.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I don’t drive, but want to learn.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • I don't drive and have no desire to learn.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other (share your thoughts in the comments section)

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have relocated the engine towards the center and started making the needed reinforced drive parts that will sturdy it up from the junk it came with. The bike didn't come with front brakes,so a mounting flange was made that still needs it's disc locating boss and the drilled and tapped holes. I am still not sure if that caliper will be hydraulic or mechanically actuated yet. I need a jack shaft to align the chain and sprockets for the drive and may add the rear brake rotor to it instead of the wheel. The original drive sprocket assembly was attached to the rear wheel spokes with split flanges and some kind of rubber crap like they make exhaust hangers for automotive applications. Needless to say,it had failure written all over it :D
drilled wheel hub and mount.jpg
hub and sprocket mount.jpg
front disc rotor mount  (1).jpg

Cool mopeds, guys. Just curious. Do they use centrifugal clutches like those old Honda 90s and 50s ?

Cool mopeds, guys. Just curious. Do they use centrifugal clutches like those old Honda 90s and 50s ?
Mine is a manual plate type clutch that has a lockout on the release lever that hold the clutch in a released position so it can be pedal driven in the event of a failure. Commonwealth law requires us to have pedals as an alternative drive and a limit of a 50 cc engine. Mine is actually a 66cc two stroke unit that looks exactly like it's 50cc sister. Ain't no way law enforcement can pick up on it anyway without a teardown,so fooey to them :p
There are tons of performance mods and parts that can be added to them to increase the power output and you can add nitrous oxide to them for a little more kick using the restaurant Whipit bottles that resemble a CO2 cartridge. I have a reversion chamber in the works to slow the back pulses that are made due to the design of the porting on the engine on the intake that should give a bit more bang for the buck along with a modification to the cylinder head that will allow me to increase the compression ratio. The piston can be lightened as well :D

In actuality,they are a speed demon's dream as they can be made to perform very well on a small budget and some know how.
Having my hobby machineshop is another bonus ;)

As found,it had a top speed of about 25 miles per hour,but with some sprocket ratio changes,it may exceed 40,so the additional braking was mandatory as the original bike only had rear rim clamp braking :p

Dang, but I wish they'd had those around when I was a kid. Back then everyone wanted the 5-speed Krate; my best friend in grade school had one. Suffice it to say that I did covet and was guilty of envy.:mad:
The decent as found Krates are pulling major money now on the auction sites,like $2500 money. Unless I stumble across a fool willing to part with one for under $200 in junk condition,I will never own one :p
I have a first generation Schwinn Stingray frame and forks dated July 1964 that came in a pile of 20+ bikes and a pickup load of parts I bought last summer for $25. The Stingray bike was the first ape hanger/sissybar/dragbike that were only copied by others after they became all the rage in late 1963. I have seen frames in like quality and age as mine asking $300 for a bare frame and forks on eBay.
I have a 7 speed derailer and wheel assembly that will fit it to eliminate the single speed fixie hub wheel and the matching alloy front wheel and have some of the engineering done for a rocker style springer style front end using the original forks, a wheel hub for the rocker and a rear spring assy. from a dismantled mountain bike mounted fore and aft near the headrace.The banana seats and apes are still available as well as reproduction sissybars.
I'm talking restomod instead of total restoration :cool:

Some would say I have too much time on my hands :p

New Threads

Top Bottom