• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving and Being on the Spectrum

Do you drive?

• I drive and enjoy it.

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • I drive, but hate it.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I don’t drive, but want to learn.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • I don't drive and have no desire to learn.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other (share your thoughts in the comments section)

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crossbreed, I loved bicycling! I space out however, and have wandered unawares (while on the bike ) into traffic, have been hit by car, hospitalized. No more biking. I'm challenged with paying attention/focus. I write forum posts in segments, keep coming back to it. Autistic inner world has some mighty strong pull!

Is there any way that your dog (Grim?) could keep you on track while bicycling? How about riding with someone on bike paths? It seems like a shame to have to give up something that you love to do.

Agreed. I wish I could pay attention well enough to protect Grimm from the public, but I'm a bit too spaced out for that. I get my thrills more safely from swinging on swings. :)

(I've always written off self-driving cars as a novelty. But it just hit me: think about all the segments of society that could potentially benefit from them, and allow them autonomy and freedom!)

It is my honest opinion that they are a recipe for disaster.
I used to do diagnostics on automotive electronics and feel that electronics and wiring do not survive well in the harsh environment of the road.

It is my honest opinion that they are a recipe for disaster.
I used to do diagnostics on automotive electronics and feel that electronics and wiring do not survive well in the harsh environment of the road.

I agree with you about self driving cars being a recipe for disaster. If something goes wrong (eventually something will), the results could be deadly. It is just not worth the risk. I have a hard enough time just being in the passenger seat, I do not think I could handle a car that drives itself.

However, I have to disagree with you about electronics and wiring not being able to survive the harsh environment of the road. I have seen electric vehicles in about every kind of environment and application that you can think of. I have seen them in salty conditions, high humidity conditions, high heat conditions, extreme cold conditions, very wet conditions and worst of all, abusive operator conditions. The vehicle and battery usually give it up before the electronics do.

I agree with you about self driving cars being a recipe for disaster. If something goes wrong (eventually something will), the results could be deadly. It is just not worth the risk. I have a hard enough time just being in the passenger seat, I do not think I could handle a car that drives itself.

However, I have to disagree with you about electronics and wiring not being able to survive the harsh environment of the road. I have seen electric vehicles in about every kind of environment and application that you can think of. I have seen them in salty conditions, high humidity conditions, high heat conditions, extreme cold conditions, very wet conditions and worst of all, abusive operator conditions. The vehicle and battery usually give it up before the electronics do.
We are going to have to agree to disagree with that,I worked down in the trenches on automotive electronics.I couldn't begin to offer how many failures I had to repair due to the crappy way they assemble a motor vehicle. Wiring with inadequate insulation,poor terminations,improper mechanical strength of wiring,vibration,salt and heat were often factors that came into play. Then we have to move onto electrolytic capacitors that have a finite life that are a part of anything electronic. Ever had an ignition module that failed and left you stranded by the side of the road? I made quite a living on the failures I came across ;)

We are going to have to agree to disagree with that,I worked down in the trenches on automotive electronics.I couldn't begin to offer how many failures I had to repair due to the crappy way they assemble a motor vehicle. Wiring with inadequate insulation,poor terminations,improper mechanical strength of wiring,vibration,salt and heat were often factors that came into play. Then we have to move onto electrolytic capacitors that have a finite life that are a part of anything electronic. Ever had an ignition module that failed and left you stranded by the side of the road? I made quite a living on the failures I came across ;)

OK, we will agree to disagree. I did not realize that they were that bad. The only automotive stuff that I have worked on has been my own and a few friends & relatives (I am sure you know about friendly neighborhood mechanic syndrome),so my experience is limited. In the old days I got left beside the road a few times, but I have little trouble with my own vehicles in the last 25 years or so.

My experience has been with industrial electric vehicles, mostly forklifts. In the last 45+ years I have grown up with them, from the early resister controlled units to the new computer controlled , 3 phase AC units with OBD. I have always been impressed with how reliable they are considering what they have to go through. I repair & service 20 forklifts here in Nampa and I have got units that have turned their hour meter over 3 times(30000 hr.) and are still going. The fork lifts are getting badly worn out, but the solid state electronics are still working good. I believe that the trick is solid state electronics, keep the moving parts to a minimum. It appears that there is a big difference between industrial equipment and consumer automotive equipment.

Last edited:
I had to look that up. Since I don't watch Dr. Who (our PBS doesn't show it), I didn't have a clue what it was. I think that is just too cool. In fact, I should paint my mini-camper to look like one when I get it built. That would look pretty neat going down the road; it would be more interesting than the one painted like the Partridge Family bus:

IMG_20140714_125425.jpg
And maybe it will make it roomier, too...
Tardis.gif

Prior to his passing, my step-brother, obviously on the spectrum, could never drive a car but he could ride a Yamaha Champ:

View attachment 24336

They were street-legal in California. For some reason, he could not get the hang of turning a steering wheel, but he took to riding the little Champ without any problem.

That's interesting. I've driven cars but I'm tempted to get a motocycle licence too (it's fustrating that you used to be able to drive at least low-powered bikes on a car licence but now you can't!). I feel that I'll be much more comfortable with a bike, the driving and turning being more intuative and 'natural'. However one thing that's been a barrier to that is the safety; alot of my uncle's friends had motorcycles and they've mostly all sold them because they've had too many near-misses with cars.

I know several Aspies that ride motorcycles (or scooters, etc). I'm not sure why Aspies seem to feel more comfortable on two wheels, but it makes me wonder if it's because the rider "surrounds the bike" instead of the other way around in a car.

As for the safety issue, I know what you mean. That's another reason why I don't get my Harley out as much as I'd like. I've had people look right at me and then pull out. When I ride, I ride with the attitude that I'm totally invisible and those sharing the road cannot see me.

I have entertained the idea of getting a small bike or scooter (still wish they made mopeds) to ride back and forth to work since I live so close. It's too much of a hassle getting the Hog out unless I'm going to go for a ride somewhere.
I had an easier time learning to ride a motorcycle than drive a car. I believe this is because the visibility is the same out of both mirrors. One thing I struggle with is interpreting the information coming to me from the mirrors and understanding my vehicle's spacing relative to other objects.

My new employer Western Express, has a tractor trailer backing course where the instructor encourages you to hit another trailer. This was useful in helping me to become more aware of how to control the trailer and how to use the mirrors more effectively.

I know several Aspies that ride motorcycles (or scooters, etc). I'm not sure why Aspies seem to feel more comfortable on two wheels, but it makes me wonder if it's because the rider "surrounds the bike" instead of the other way around in a car.

As for the safety issue, I know what you mean. That's another reason why I don't get my Harley out as much as I'd like. I've had people look right at me and then pull out. When I ride, I ride with the attitude that I'm totally invisible and those sharing the road cannot see me.

I have entertained the idea of getting a small bike or scooter (still wish they made mopeds) to ride back and forth to work since I live so close. It's too much of a hassle getting the Hog out unless I'm going to go for a ride somewhere.

My youngest son (34 year old Aspie) does not drive, but he rode and raced motorcycles when he was in his teens and early twenties. He owns a Jeep and his wife drives them everywhere. I have never thought about Aspies being more comfortable on two wheels. I was always very comfortable and happy on a dirt bike. I got a drivers licence when was 14 and liked driving then. I do not like driving so much now, but I really miss riding dirt bikes.

Sportster, do you still have your Harley? I thought you were trying to sell it. If you sold it what would you change your user name to? GTO?

I had an easier time learning to ride a motorcycle than drive a car. I believe this is because the visibility is the same out of both mirrors. One thing I struggle with is interpreting the information coming to me from the mirrors and understanding my vehicle's spacing relative to other objects.

I think those are both good points! For me using the mirrors and everything else on a car is a task (not a hard task, but a task none-the-less) where as using the mirrors etc on a bike would be just something I'd do naturally. There's also the fact that motocycles are more agile and thus more responsive to one's actions.

Last edited:

There are moped still being made in 50 cc models,search the net for 'em

Yep, I still have it. Suffice it to say that though I'm looking to sell it, I'm not putting a lot of effort into promoting it. I've told a few at work about it, but that's the extent. It's one of those things that if someone makes an offer then I'd consider it, but until then it will stay in the laundry room.

As for changing my name, since I have a Crown Victoria I could just call myself, "Crown Vic." Sounds like a cross between a rapper and a guy in the Mafia.:D

I think the Yamaha shop on the other side of town sells some sort of little scooter or moped. Do you recall the Honda Express? They were popular in the late 70's to early 80's. I had one and thought it was the neatest thing. It was a moped but yet not. You cranked it up by ratcheting a peddle and then releasing the stored energy with a lever on the handlebars to start it. It ran great and got something like 150 MPG.

This is identical to the one I had. I wish they'd bring it back:

Sorry about that. I knew that you had mentioned what kind of car you had several times. I just could not remember what it was. I'll blame it on a senior moment.

Yep, I still have it. Suffice it to say that though I'm looking to sell it, I'm not putting a lot of effort into promoting it. I've told a few at work about it, but that's the extent. It's one of those things that if someone makes an offer then I'd consider it, but until then it will stay in the laundry room.

As for changing my name, since I have a Crown Victoria I could just call myself, "Crown Vic." Sounds like a cross between a rapper and a guy in the Mafia.:D

I think the Yamaha shop on the other side of town sells some sort of little scooter or moped. Do you recall the Honda Express? They were popular in the late 70's to early 80's. I had one and thought it was the neatest thing. It was a moped but yet not. You cranked it up by ratcheting a peddle and then releasing the stored energy with a lever on the handlebars to start it. It ran great and got something like 150 MPG.

This is identical to the one I had. I wish they'd bring it back:

This is my moped project in the works,AKA my Gnarley-Davidson :p

Gnarley-Davidson.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom