• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't want to go on a cruise

Pats

V.I.P Member
My sisters are going on a cruise and keep trying to get me to go with them and won't stop. It'd be a free trip for me, but no. It leaves from Florida and I've told them I can't drive that far anymore and I can't fly because 1.can't go through security and not willing to be searched AND I can't breathe on a plane (my one sister says it'd just be like holding my breathe for an hour). I've told them that there is nothing on a cruise that interests me. They mention pool - I can't swim, don't like water and can't sit in sun because of meds. Sit in shade and read a book - don't like to read. Watch people do karaoke - don't like listening to other people sing. Eat and drink all you want - Very low salt diet and I don't drink. They go on and on naming things that don't interest me and even suggested I can sit in my room - then why go. There's nothing more I can say and they're not wanting to accept "no". Arghhhh!

Yes, a cruise is a not for me either - all the things that I would NOT enjoy packed into a small space. A sensory nightmare. What I don't understand is, surely your sisters know you, know about your ASD and must have some idea that a crusie is not going to be your thing, so why do they insist that you go?

There's a covid risk that is significant on cruises. That's why they have got so cheap. Hope your sister's are prepared for that. I wouldn't want to go either for many reasons. I might consider obliging my sister if there was no risk. However luckily for me my sister is more savvy on risk even than I and wouldn't touch a cruise with a barge pole in times like these. Stay strong!

I always wanted to go on a short cruise across the Gulf to the Yucatan.
Living right here in Tampa area, it would be easy.
It would be an experience to see how it feels and look out at nothing but sky and water.

But, the main reason was I always wanted to see that Chichen Itza pyramid and nearby sacred spring.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 04-11-45 Chichen Itza Plus - Tours Excursions - Cancun Riviera Maya.jpg
Nice scenery! :rolleyes:

I always wanted to go on a short cruise across the Gulf to the Yucatan.
Living right here in Tampa area, it would be easy.
It would be an experience to see how it feels and look out at nothing but sky and water.

But, the main reason was I always wanted to see that Chichen Itza pyramid and nearby sacred spring.

View attachment 75436 Nice scenery! :rolleyes:
I cannot tolerate the boring vibe and canned entertainment of cruises. But getting someplace interesting by boat is for me. The great pyramid at Chichen Itza is now off limits to climb. When you see the steps you will understand. They were designed so that attackers have to ascend by stepping sideways. The ball court is spectacular. Once after a morning at Chichen Itza and before driving back to Akumal, we came across Mayaland and had a wonderfully tasty lunch there.

Cruise... always have seen them as the worst of humanity all stuffed into one place. I wouldnt go even if they paid me.

environmentally horrid

I have been aboard ferries in the Mediterranean, and between France and England, and once a long time ago I got to explore all through a huge old Navy ship just before it was cut up into scrap and recycled.

Last edited:
Count me in the, "Zero interest in going on a cruise", camp. Thankfully my wife feels the same way. I wouldn't even do it to check it out once because I already know I'd hate it for many reasons. Give me a cabin to rent for a week on a lake in a quiet area, with my own car to go as I please, 1,000 times over a cruise.

alAKE-bAILEY-IMG_6970.jpg

I've been on cruises in the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean Sea. I hated them. Trapped on a boat with a bunch of people whom I probably wouldn't associate with on land, screaming misbehaving children, boring "entertainment" and rather mediocre food. Covid and every other germ under the sun are on cruise ships. It's not the "Love Boat". It's the "Germ Boat".

I prefer to fly to my destination and rent a car or use public transportation from the airport. One thing we do in Mexico is to rent a driver with a car to take us wherever we want to go, preferably one who speaks some English and knows the area where we are visiting. We also want a late model car with air conditioning, not some old broken down junker. Mexican traffic laws are weird compared to US traffic laws, the police are viewed with suspicion, and we feel safer with our own driver.

I've been to Chichen Itza, Tulum and other Mayan ruins many times, gone swimming in cenotes, and have stayed at Mayaland, too. Go visit if you get a chance. You will not regret it. I hope to someday visit Chichen Itza for the spring equinox so I can see the snake shadow on the steps.

One thing I learned (from experience) about saying "no" is this: just say no. Don't elaborate, don't give a reason - people will try to "problem solve" your reason for saying "no" - if you don't give them an opening to do so, you make it a lot easier on yourself. (After all, even if you stick to your "no", they're stressing you out by trying to poke holes in it.)

Try this next time your sisters bring it up: "I will not be going on the cruise. This is not up for debate and I will not be discussing it further." And then change the subject.

Count me in the, "Zero interest in going on a cruise", camp. Thankfully my wife feels the same way. I wouldn't even do it to check it out once because I already know I'd hate it for many reasons. Give me a cabin to rent for a week on a lake in a quiet area, with my own car to go as I please, 1,000 times over a cruise.

Agree multiple times. :)

Agree multiple times. :)

One thing I learned (from experience) about saying "no" is this: just say no. Don't elaborate, don't give a reason - people will try to "problem solve" your reason for saying "no" - if you don't give them an opening to do so, you make it a lot easier on yourself. (After all, even if you stick to your "no", they're stressing you out by trying to poke holes in it.)

Try this next time your sisters bring it up: "I will not be going on the cruise. This is not up for debate and I will not be discussing it further." And then change the subject.
The 'just say no' is done every time they bring it up and it's not working. They elaborate on the reasons I SHOULD go and I give my responses to each thing they mention - nope, nope, nope.

The 'just say no' is done every time they bring it up and it's not working. They elaborate on the reasons I SHOULD go and I give my responses to each thing they mention - nope, nope, nope.

Yeah, tell them it's no longer up for discussion and then if they persist, stop talking to them (at least until the cruise is over). If they will not respect your boundaries then you have to remove the option to do otherwise.

It sucks, but that's how it is.

A cruise ship? departing from the state of Florida?

Why don't you ask them if they can't just inject SARS-CoV-2 straight into your nasal cavity? then you can soak in your bathtub at home while you get over the virus, seems like a simpler and quicker way to achieve the same result.

Look at all the terrible things that happen to that industry. That alone keeps us from going again.

sacred spring.
Forgot . . . the Sacred Spring looks like a Cenote, an opening into flooded caverns that underlie all of the Yucatan. I've dived some, even descending to the halocline, the boundary between salt water on the bottom and fresh water above it. Unmixed. So eerie to dive there.

Passenger: "Excuse me, could you direct me to the purser? I think his name is Gopher."
Steward: "Sorry, he's indisposed at the moment."
Passenger: "Oh, ok. Could you direct me to the cruise director Julie?"
Steward: "Nope. She's indisposed as well."
Passenger: "Geez. Surely you can direct me to Captain Stubing then."
Steward: "Not a chance."
Passenger: "Let me guess. He's indisposed too?"
Steward: "No worries. You'll be indisposed as well pretty soon."
Passenger: "Come again?"
Steward: "Novavirus."
Passenger: "Oh crap."
Steward: "Preferably in your stateroom."

The Love Boat....making another run.
The Love Boat....diarrhea for everyone... :oops:

Last edited:
You say "Hahaha! You are so funny sis! You know, repeating the same thing and looking for a different result is the definition of insanity right?!"

New Threads

Top Bottom