• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't want to "be healed"

Salmongirl17

I'll try to make a full return
A few days ago at school, my science teacher was going crazy about how there are "endless possibilities" and how "we can find cures for mental-health disorders like autism and totally change people for the best!"

Well, for some reason, I had to hold back tears as I almost had a meltdown right there on the spot. I don't really know why, or what triggered me to feel this way. At the end of the day when I got home I was really upset and angry about it; typically I would have forgotten about something this "silly" by now, but I haven't, and it's driving me crazy.

Now I'm thinking that all "cures" are suddenly "bad" and unsure of my medicine I take every day...
Why am I thinking this stuff?

Awww sweet heart. You are not the only one that has had that feeling. I have had many people ask me why I wouldn't want a cure. To me I wouldn't be me without it. Now that is not to say that medications to help make your life easier isn't worth it. It's just helping you. That is a far cry from curing anything. YOu are a wonderful person no matter what...and that means autism and all. :) Maybe you could bring it up with your teacher that you felt like it was a way of saying you weren't welcome the way you were?

Awww sweet heart. You are not the only one that has had that feeling. I have had many people ask me why I wouldn't want a cure. To me I wouldn't be me without it. Now that is not to say that medications to help make your life easier isn't worth it. It's just helping you. That is a far cry from curing anything. YOu are a wonderful person no matter what...and that means autism and all. :) Maybe you could bring it up with your teacher that you felt like it was a way of saying you weren't welcome the way you were?
Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who would think this:)

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who would think this:)
Nope you are not. I have been told often by professionals too and co-workers that wouldn't i want to be healed or cured and I always get upset and tell them that no I wouldn't. Then I tell them well then I wouldn't be me. You wouldn't be you either if you changed. :) Hugs.

Nope you are not. I have been told often by professionals too and co-workers that wouldn't i want to be healed or cured and I always get upset and tell them that no I wouldn't. Then I tell them well then I wouldn't be me. You wouldn't be you either if you changed. :) Hugs.
:D Thanks!

Now I'm thinking that all "cures" are suddenly "bad" and unsure of my medicine I take every day...

Perhaps you're beginning to realize that being neurologically "different" doesn't necessarily constitute being neurologically deficient. ;)

another thing if you were normal you would not have the strengths you are yet to discover.Like when have found what your thought process then you can use it to your advantage.
If you are a visual thinker like I am, you can see the end result of something, or you might be briliant with numbers or seeing patterns, there still a special gift for you to discover
:)

I would absolutely choose NOT to have been born with AS, but I also don't feel anyone should make me change and be "normal." I think if that happened I would be in constant conflict with myself. However, if I had been born unable to walk I would certainly welcome becoming "normal." I think I don't mind changing my body for the sake of convenience, but messing with my brain/mind/essence is going too far. I find so much "normal" behavior to be frivolous, foolish and unkind that I wish I could change many people to be more like an Aspie. I wish I had been diagnosed as a little kid and given instruction regarding ways to blend in and not be obnoxious in society if I so chose. That is really hard to learn once someone in their 60s finally realizes he/she is an Aspie.

A few days ago at school, my science teacher was going crazy about how there are "endless possibilities" and how "we can find cures for mental-health disorders like autism and totally change people for the best!"

Oh, honey . . . I understand how you feel. I've grappled with these feelings myself. This isn't specific to autism, but I've had many a fight with my dad because I don't think he believes my mental health conditions are that big of a deal and can be overcome with sheer willpower. But he's from another generation and is used to old ideas about how to overcome one's problems. I know he does care about me. He just doesn't always express it in the best way. I think your teacher is doing the same thing: He wants to be helpful, but doesn't realize how complex the issue is, and chose his words poorly as a result.

In fact, what happened with your teacher is pretty representative of how autism is regarded today---some people see it as an illness that desperately needs a cure, while others want it to be considered as another "normal."

Now, I don't know what medicine you take or why, but don't just stop taking it. That's really dangerous. If you're unsure about taking it, at least talk to your parents and your doctor first.

This isn't specific to autism, but I've had many a fight with my dad because I don't think he believes my mental health conditions are that big of a deal and can be overcome with sheer willpower. But he's from another generation and is used to old ideas about how to overcome one's problems.

Sounds much like how my cousin took my telling her I thought I had AS. Maddening...especially since she works in the health insurance field. I expected a very different response. It's really colored my thoughts on telling much of anyone at this point about my neurological status.

Sounds much like how my cousin took my telling her I thought I had AS. Maddening...especially since she works in the health insurance field. I expected a very different response. It's really colored my thoughts on telling much of anyone at this point about my neurological status.

My dad doesn't understand much about AS either. But I'm not angry at him. The most I ever get is frustrated. But I try to remind myself that he is proud of my intellect and accomplishments and just doesn't know enough about my autism-related problems to understand that not everything I struggle with is made any easier by my intelligence.

But I try to remind myself that he is proud of my intellect and accomplishments and just doesn't know enough about my autism-related problems to understand that not everything I struggle with is made any easier by my intelligence.

That's such a critical element of it all to me. Well put, Ereth.

Much like my OCD, however bright I may be, there are some things I have very little control over, no matter how determined I might be to change myself. It IS a struggle...sometimes well beyond whatever willpower can accomplish.

I like it Stella, I had problem playing it if you click on the You tube button it works ok there.

Great video!!! It just occurred to me that equating AS to a mental illness is very detrimental to our cause. Very few people, even mental health workers, feel much sympathy or understanding for the mentally ill. There is always an element of belief that the affected person is either being possessed or that they simply could stop being crazy if the chose to do so.

New Threads

Top Bottom