• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't like Asperger's classed same as low functioning autism.

Asperger's doesn't have a low IQ, no speech delay as a child

That is only because the criteria forbid diagnosis when those things are present. There is no evidence that that represents any sort of fundamental difference.

and low functioning autism doesn't have clumsy motor problems

That one just isn't true. Of course there are plenty of people with dispraxia who have been called "LFA."

Sound - sensitive, meltdown-having, late-everything, legally blind with nystagmus Autistic golfer here! I didn't walk until I was four, almost five, talk until 5, almost six. I wore diapers until I was eight years old, and still have to wear them at night and if I'm sick. I also have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, ADHD, and learning disabilities. I'm proud of my Autism, it is what has made me a champion golfer.
I have 12 consecutive Special Olympics Kentucky Louisville Regional titles, and this Sunday, I will play for my fourth straight State title. I represented Kentucky at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in Princeton, New Jersey and won the Silver Medal.

legally blind with nystagmus Autistic golfer here! ... I represented Kentucky at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in Princeton, New Jersey and won the Silver Medal.

Wow! Golf takes a lot of thinking and concentration!

I do agree that many current diagnostic models are somewhat off, in that Autism itself is not a dysfunctional condition.

They admit that in the Asperger's definition when they say it is "autism without mental impairment." So autism is not a source of mental impairment! In fact, autism can be an enhancement factor for many intellectual tasks.

Enlightened autism educators are realizing it is simply an alternative form of development, and in properly supported situations, a child can achieve much better things than the path of simply teaching them to be NT: a thankless, pointless, and stressful task.

Just as there are red-headed people with intellectual impairment, or ADHD, or a club foot, or any other congenital difference, so there are people with autism who also have developmental difficulties. And they just might NOT have these difficulties if their parents, educators, and society did not insist on ONLY ONE TRUE path to development, and torment children who do not fit that mold in any way.

I read the book Murderball, about a soccer player who became an incomplete quadriplegic in an accident while in college. It was -- of course -- a very tough road, but along the way he had some amazing insights. Without the accident, he would not have become a champion soccer player, as he is now. But he also worked hard for two years to be able to walk. And now, he rarely uses that ability.

Because he has changed from hating his chair to loving his chair. It made him an incredible athlete. It is an easier and faster form of transporting himself. It has become an extension of his body and his use of it suits his needs.

If we were not tormented about social situations; if, instead, we were supported, and SHOWN how to handle social situations... Wouldn't we be so much better off? Is it society who has undermined us by not giving us the automatic feedback an NT gets?

If we had the right upbringing for us, how many difficulties would we still have? I find that an intriguing question.

It is mindblowing that there is a name for something that is similar to autism, but not and yet, those "professors" have to argue the point, which causes untold miseries to those who need to be officially diagnosed.

I am not autistic at all and met a male aspie not so long ago, and he most certain was not autistic. I have met autistic people and it is clear that they are autistic. But what you describe is someone who is severely autistic, because there are many who are not like that.

Where did you see/read this at? I have always been told that Asperger's Syndrome(Which is my offical Dx) and HFA are the most most similar. Mike

They are not most most similar, otherwise, the dr would not have named it aspergers!

My Autism is an advantage to me, offsetting my visual impairment. I shot 41 in a practice round at Fort Knox today.

My Autism is an advantage to me, offsetting my visual impairment. I shot 41 in a practice round at Fort Knox today.

For 18 holes? I wish you were in Rio for us. We are not doing to good.

The U.S. and the U.S. States are very reluctant to accept the science and medical information behind Autism and most non physical disabilities.

It wasn't until LBJ that Social Security Disability was signed into law.
The U.S. didn't pass the Americans with Disabilities Act until 1990 giving people with disabilities federal protection and forced the public to make everything accessible to those with disabilities.
Obviously some stuff is grandfathered in.
It took another 20 years for U.S. Congress to stop insurance companies from discriminating against people with disabilities.

There is a huge resistance from the American people to use tax dollars on the physically disabled, and even bigger amount of people oppose using any tax payer dollars on non physical disabilities.

There is even a push from certain parts of American society who want to repeal The Americans with Disabilities Act and Social Security Disability and Disability parts of the ACA.

The reason why the U.S. defunded mental health stuff was due to the society demanding it.
This makes it so expensive to get mental health services in this country, if at all.

It's going to take a long while before the U.S. and the states move forward in any meaningful way on Autism (we just got Autism recognized in the last hold out states in the late 2000s).

If merging all Autism onto a spectrum means those on the high end of the spectrum get more help then I'm all for it.

I mean I can't take part in most of what is offered in Michigan because I am too functioning (Yeah I'm pretty much self sufficient but still haven't been able to land a job post college graduation in 2014) and too old (31)

In most U.S. states when you turn 23, all support and benefits are ended and you are left to fend on your own.
A few states such as Florida are 26 as the age limit.

26 is when all federal programs and benefits end for those with non physical disabilities (not just Autism).

The programs and benefits are mostly limited to the point of being practically useless, to the point of bankrupting you with healthcare.

If you have resources and money, Immigrate to a better COUNTRY.

My point is anything that helps even marginally for people on high end of the spectrum, I'm all for it.

I don't like how the USA are trying to get everybody to think that low functioning autism and Asperger's syndrome are all the same thing.
I know they say it's a spectrum, but that's like saying headache is a spectrum. Headache from an accident, brain tumour, stroke or tension are a spectrum, but they aren't the same thing. A cold and flu have similar symptoms but they aren't the same thing.
I'm nothing like those people who can't speak, have a low mental ability and go into rages banging their head and everything.
How can the people who need to wear a helmet from self harm be the same as others they say have Asperger's like Einstein or Bill Gates? It isn't the same thing and there are more differences than similarities.

Just so you know, some people that have Aspergers do go into rages and bang their heads when they are having a meltdown. I am one of those and I don't consider myself as a person with low mental ability. I just get tired sometimes with social interaction or when I have been exposed to noisy environments for too long (We do have to struggle with some things otherwise we wouldn't get diagnosed in the first place).

Plus I don't think anyone should be so eager to distance themselves from others with, what they consider, a lower mental ability just so they can look down at them with the rest of the people.

Last edited:
We Americans are shallow compared to many other peoples. Here, it's all about what you can see.
Not when it comes to health and disabilities.
Us Americans suffer from "Bootstrap" mentality as it's your own damn fault and you can fix yourself on your own without help (getting help is stigmatized).
We use this on everything...

Though to be fair the U.S. is no worse than the majority other developed countries when it comes to non physical disabilities.
This includes France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Italy, EU as a whole, etc... and Asian countries including Japan, South Korea, China, Thailand, etc... and even Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of Oceania.

Hell even Canada isn't better than U.S. on this issue.

Not when it comes to health and disabilities.
Us Americans suffer from "Bootstrap" mentality as it's your own damn fault and you can fix yourself on your own without help (getting help is stigmatized).
We use this on everything...

Though to be fair the U.S. is no worse than the majority other developed countries when it comes to non physical disabilities.
This includes France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Italy, EU as a whole, etc... and Asian countries including Japan, South Korea, China, Thailand, etc... and even Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of Oceania.

Hell even Canada isn't better than U.S. on this issue.
Sometimes pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is the only way to accomplish things.
I suffered from a disabling horrible event of traumatic brain injury with a semi-paralyzed arm and have made huge strides forward by pushing myself to become whole again. I spent a fortune on professionals and experts who had no idea what they were doing anyway and took the mindset that if I wanted to achieve my goals,it was up to me to do so.

My last team of cognitive therapists now use my methods as a part of their recovery model.

Last year during some advocacy work at their facility,I went to a talk they had about using technology,both low and high tech as compensatory strategies and basically stole their whole show from them ;)

Yes,the entire world is unfair to the disabled,but knowing about it and only crying about it solves nothing.

Sometimes pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is the only way to accomplish things.
I suffered from a disabling horrible event of traumatic brain injury with a semi-paralyzed arm and have made huge strides forward by pushing myself to become whole again. I spent a fortune on professionals and experts who had no idea what they were doing anyway and took the mindset that if I wanted to achieve my goals,it was up to me to do so.

My last team of cognitive therapists now use my methods as a part of their recovery model.

Last year during some advocacy work at their facility,I went to a talk they had about using technology,both low and high tech as compensatory strategies and basically stole their whole show from them ;)

Yes,the entire world is unfair to the disabled,but knowing about it and only crying about it solves nothing.
I didn't say that people shouldn't do anything or subvert responsibility.

I'm referring to the deafening lack of services and funding for those with NON PHYSICAL disabilities.
The majority of people regardless of disabilities or perfect health put the effort in, in their lives.
They don't sit on their butts twiddling their thumbs and crying waiting for someone to do something (There are some that do, but they are in the minority.

If you are born below the middle middle class, you will face numerous roadblocks and obstacles because you lack the time, money and resources to pull ahead because the state you live in, is most likely structured to benefit the middle middle class and up giving them the bulk of taxpayer resources and money.

Since 1980 the following has happened in the U.S. and states:
  1. The federal and state governments (cities and counties) defunded practically fully all mental health services
  2. They also shut down nearly all the mental health hospitals and clinics (in Metro Detroit alone there is 1 remaining and there is a wait time to get in for those who need it).
  3. Mental Health medications are mostly not covered by insurance (most don't even cover generics)
  4. You need to seen a mental health doctor or therapist, it's not covered by insurance in most states.
  5. You want job support or help finding a job with mental health issues... Good Luck most states don't have programs or provided any help. Prepared to get fired for it and or not hired again (it's illegal, but YOU have to prove it).
  6. You suffer from a neurological disorder be it MS, Parkisons or something else, most states have defunded practically everything.
  7. You want federal help for neurological stuff... TUFF Luck that's been defunded too for the most part and only people under 26 are eligible (you get cut off at 26).
  8. You want autism support and help... Well only CA and NY have anything, and PA is just getting started. There's nothing in the other states at all (Some give you medicad but most end at 23 in most states).
  9. You want federal help, well there isn't much and it lacks funding and research. Oh once you turn 26 you are cut off (not that it was much to begin with).
  10. Even those who have physical disabilities, are stuck in states who have cut the budget on all things for disabilities. But you at least get good federal support.
  11. If you are going to the agency that helps people with disabilities find employment, you most likely have to take a number in your state due to budget cuts.
In Michigan we changed the law in 2010 that does this:
  1. If you go from high school to higher education, you cannot get medicad, welfare and/or any other state benefit until you are 1 year out from completion of the higher education program.
    1. For those who develop disabilities and/or health disorders while in higher education the law applies.
  2. If you had these state benefits due to a disability and/or illness prior to graduating high school, you get to keep them except for welfare.
  3. If you develop a disability or severe permanent illness while in higher education (provided you came directly from high school), you have to complete/meet:
    1. Leave Higher Education program and cannot resume for at least 3 years
    2. Cannot have received federal student aid and loans in that term.
    3. Must be older than 23 in most cases
As someone who had a near break down and treatment starting at age 25, I couldn't get any state help for my medical stuff and my then Blue Cross insurance covered very little of it (they don't cover most mental health and non physical disability stuff).
I have literally paid over $10,000+ in out of pocket healthcare expenses because Blue Cross of Michigan wouldn't essentially cover my newly diagnosed mental health stuff and Asperger Syndrome. I was lucky to 30% of my prescription costs covered, normally it ran 10% if at all.

Even as a minor, Blue Cross wouldn't cover any medical expense related to my disabilities (I have more than Just Asperger Syndrome) because I was born with them. They wouldn't even cover prescriptions related to it.
My mother's Ohio Teacher's insurance wouldn't cover that stuff either when I was minor.
My parents literally paid thousands of dollars each year I was a minor because Blue Cross wouldn't cover most stuff related to my neurological disability. Some years it was over $10,000.
This wasn't even factoring in prescriptions.

To get into program that offered disability help in any form, I was either not disabled enough, My parents made too much money, or they made not enough money (yeah they were told this)!.

So now I am trying to figure out if I can stay permanently on Medicad, though no one can give me a clear answer.
I am so sick if dealing with private insurance companies and not getting coverage for my disabilities related stuff.

Also what little is available in Michigan in terms of Autism support, I am not eligible for because I am too functional and "normal".
I mean I hope I finally land a job soon... Though with companies requiring asinine amounts of experience and certifications just to get an unpaid internship, let alone an entry level job, it may still be a while.
I'm working with the state agency but I haven't gotten anywhere yet and that is after three years of looking on my own and applying to hundreds of jobs and interviewing...

It doesn't help that Americans with disabilities are heavily stigmatized in the workplace to the point most employers actively find ways to avoid employing those with disabilities. Hell if you develop a disability of any sort while working, you will most likely get let go for some made up reason or "no reason given".
Employers see people with disabilities as extremely costly employees who are huge legal liabilities, who cannot get much work done.

Add in the fact that American employers actively avoid hiring people under the age of 35, because they don't want to pay the costs that go with training and learning in the work environment, it means if you are under 35 and have an official diagnosis, you might never get hired.

American society as a whole actively stigmatizes people with disabilities and actively discriminates against them (it's well documented).

I believe everyone should be active in their lives and take responsibility for their lives.

But I am well aware of the discrimination, active roadblocks and bans the state and federal government impose on groups of society including the disabled, the active shunning by society and employers and other negative stuff that occurs in this country.

Those not born into and never become part of a negatively effected group, will be better off every time (unless they screw up horribly). They will always be that much farther ahead in life and be that much more successful (studies have proven it time and again).
That is due to them having more time, resources and money at their disposal without the huge and exponential costs that are negatively inflected on the negatively effected groups.

My overarching point is people who are negatively effected group normally fall behind in life and never overcome that due to how badly American society works against them and actively blocks them using the powers of government.
These groups are effectively punished by society and the government.

We have 50+ years of these studies.

The same goes for other developed and non developed countries.

I tend to agree with Nitro . I think we know ourselves more than professionals do. The thing is, if we do need help, then we have to learn to ask for help...and humble enough to receive it. The types of assistance and degrees of assistance are wholly subjective. Still, we exist under an umbrella of difference.

I tend to agree with Nitro . I think we know ourselves more than professionals do. The thing is, if we do need help, then we have to learn to ask for help...and humble enough to receive it. The types of assistance and degrees of assistance are wholly subjective. Still, we exist under an umbrella of difference.

Very true. With the DSM-5 in place in the US, doctors seem reluctant to make a diagnosis. However, if you tell them that you want help and not a diagnosis, the help is forthcoming.

New Threads

Top Bottom