• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't know what to do with my life

ElvenNeko

I should probably start by saying that i am not officialy diagnosed. I supose it's just... not a thing in my country, and especially city. Also i don't have many symptoms of the disorder, but i have this:
TestEng.1636204286.jpg

So idk if it's the thing that turned my life into torture, or there is something else. But anyway...

I feel like i have no place in this world. Very few stuff i can do, no people i can iteract with in a way that would be meaningful to me.

Since certain age i stopped going out for various reasons - physical disability causes pain after any physical activity, also i hate cities and already explored mine when i was a child. So i don't meet people irl.

My only major interest is fiction, especially - stories in video games. I am both consuming and writing them. Also i love inventing gameplay mechanics (mostly to compliment those stories and make them more immersive). Few other things that might be nice are unavailable, everything else is very boring or impossible for me to understand. When it comes to creating stories (or analyzing stories made by others in search for flaws and ways to improve them) everyting comes naturally to me, i understand every aspect of them and what should i do to make them perfect.

However, in everything else i am beyond retarded. Many complicated things i just can't grasp, so i always need simplified explanations. I can't pass the iq test because i can't figure out a single question. I also can't solve many puzzles in games and need walktroughs. I can't understand many things that seem obvious for other people, and will have hard time figuring out what should i do without step-by-step manuals. And as if that was not enough my mind tends to randomly forget things, almost always - those that i do not find interesting, and it makes me unable to learn almost anything since i will just forget it a bit later.

Ironically, i feel like the world around me is a madhouse. People disregard logic and reason, and use various traditions, norms, religions, and other made-up rules to justify their behavior and choices. Quite often they do things just because other told them to, without trying to ask why they should. And if i ask - other people only gettin angry instead of explaining, same if i tell them that i disagree with they way things should be done. So i can't decide if it's the society that is stupid, or me, or both.

But that would not matter to me, if i could just quietly enjoy doing my job by creating new worlds till the day i die. Sadly, majority of the developer are not interested in their stories being top-quality, and their gameplay mechanics being innovative, and the others will never read pitch from an outsider since they always have some friends or friends of friends to do that for them. And since i do not have a gift of charisma to persuade others to look at my concepts, after 17+ years of attempts and thousands of letters sent with zero sucsess i have to give up on idea of having job i would enjoy.

I still write the stories, because there is nothing else for me to do in life, but they have no purpose. Publishing them would be a waste since only a few people would ever be interested in reading scripts, and it would also instantly destroy their value. Since i was a kid i always dreamed about meeting someone who would share my passion, but... it just does not work out for some reason. When i go into various gaming communities, i find out that not much people are into games i like, and those who are... well, we could not form any lasting discussion about it. I tried various writing communities, even ones dedicated directly to game writing, but nobody ever responded to my suggestion to talk about stories and maybe write some together. And i also found nobody else looking for same things there, most people were just promouting something they did or searching for jobs. I also tried general communication places, like dating sites, forums of general thematics, etc. Only 2 or 3 times someone ever replied to my posts\profiles or messages. It did not work out since i have no idea what to say to the people who are not into same stuff i am. I often have a roommates living in same appartment, but in years we never having any conversations because thing that other people enjoy so much, random banters about random things - i am not interested in that and can't initiate it, and other people don't seem interesting in being the initiators as well (or they losing inerest fast).

I envy people for lots of things - ability to visit or live in beautiful places, ability to touch attractive people, ability to create beautiful things, ability to understand complicated things, ability to eat tasty food, ability to have more pets, but most of all - ability to speak about things most important for you with someone who adores the same thing you do. Why aren't people interested in that? I am not even looking for super-nerdy convos full of professional terms (since i don't even know those terms), just something casual (like this https://www.reddit.com/r/RDR2/comments/k0qebg/just_finished_the_game_some_thoughts_about_it_and/), but i rarely have people answering me anything in such posts. Writing stories or designing gameplay together? That now seems impossible to me. The world is so big and full of things but... at the same time so empty for me. Sometimes i see things that i wanted to expirience in my dreams and so disappointed to wake up. Maybe i would already chose to stop living, but i need to take care for my cats. But with every year it gets harder since the world constantly reminds me about all the things i will never have just because i was born somehow inadeqwate. So many people have someone close, can it be that people like me just do not exist at all? I already lived trough majority of my life, what are the chances that something will ever change? After so many years of asking for help and doing things suggested by people but not having any sucsess i am just so tired of everything. Maybe here someone has the same obsession with game stories as i do? Or anyone who would tell me what to do... i will soon become 33 but i don't feel like i ever changed at all, and feel completly lost in this world, unable to become a proper adult.

Hello @ElvenNeko and welcome to the forum.
I share a number of you obsessions/interests. I have always been into gaming, puzzles, writing stories and technology. I have always felt like an alien on a strange planet and THAT has not faded with the years, but I have acheived a certain detente with it.

You are not as alone as you might think. It can be difficult to connect with someone but not impossible. Cut yourself a break, and if you are not aware of my meaning, what I am saying is be kind and accepting of yourself.
We are a diverse group. We may share certain similarities, but we are all unique individuals, as are you. I think you need to ease your stress by realizing that all things come in there own time. Do not create stress for yourself. You are both the creator and arbiter of all your feelings and desires, so just ease your mind, be good to yourself, and know from one who has been where you are that this will pass. Maybe not as fast as you want, so just find the patience to persevere.

I send you a big Psychic-hug!

I have always been into gaming, puzzles, writing stories and technology.

Maybe you are interested in discussing them?

all things come in there own time.

I am afraid my time is running out. I don't know how long i will be able to support my body. I already missed the part of my life when i could have physical contant with other people, don't want to miss the one when i am still capable to do mental contact.

Maybe you are interested in discussing them?

I am open to discussing anything and everything if you do not mind the perspective of one in there later years. When in my thirties I had a PlayStation 1 from the time it first appeared, and then I had a PlayStation 2 for a few years. I have not used the latter in several decades now.

Anyway, if you wish to discuss anything, start a conversation with me and we can discuss anything you like. At the very least, I might be able to offer the observations of one who once shared some of what you describe and maybe still do on some levels..

Welcome!

Have you ever considered self-publishing your works? Some writers and artists have been successful in independently building their own group of fans and followers. This includes some who started with fan art / fan fiction but then moved into their own works.

Hi and welcome. How adults are is diverse, and you have your place in the world the same as everyone else does. People with different neurology won't seem to fit in with the neurotypical majority, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us, we are different that's all. And fairly varied too, each one of us an individual.

It's good that you are here, others here can empathise with what you are saying. It sounds great that you write stories, and can create them. I'm sorry to hear that it's so hard to use your skills and talents, I think many would echo what you say about that. Do you have friends or others to discuss your games and writing with?

I hope you will say more about your experiences and join in discussions here with others. It's good that you are here.

:cactus::crocodile::palmtree::dragon::cactus::turtle::seedling:

Welcome!

This forum is a great place to connect with other neurodiverse people. We are not all alike but we all have struggles and support one another. What country do you call home? We are an international crowd from diverse cultures and traditions. You should fit right in.

Do you see a psychologist? If you do they can help arrange for an I Q test to be done verbally, though many of the questions will not require it. Many of the questions are visual pattern recognition or mathmatecal problems

But IQ tests only measure one kind of intelligence and, often I think, are not really capable of measuring true intellligence.

Any way, welcome!

I should probably start by saying that i am not officialy diagnosed. I supose it's just... not a thing in my country, and especially city. Also i don't have many symptoms of the disorder, but i have this:
TestEng.1636204286.jpg

I'd say there's a good chance you're on the autism spectrum.

So idk if it's the thing that turned my life into torture, or there is something else. But anyway...

I feel like i have no place in this world. Very few stuff i can do, no people i can iteract with in a way that would be meaningful to me.

Since certain age i stopped going out for various reasons - physical disability causes pain after any physical activity, also i hate cities and already explored mine when i was a child. So i don't meet people irl.

Social isolation can cause significant cognitive impairments. Interacting with people might not make any difference at first but you will feel better and have less cognitive impairments once you become friends with people. While having autism or cognitive impairments makes it more difficult to find friends, asking people for help and advice will make it easier to understand people. You can't change your genes but you can lessen some of your problems by doing what you can to find friends or find somewhere where you feel like you belong.

I have not used the latter in several decades now.

Oh... i already tried talking with people who play only a bit or played in the past. But i usually want to discuss something recent, that left impression on me.

Have you ever considered self-publishing your works?

Very few people are interested in reading plot summaries (i tried). Also it instantly devalues them for potential employer.

Do you have friends or others to discuss your games and writing with?

Never found anyone interested. I only had a feedback about my published game from some strangers.

you have your place in the world the same as everyone else does.

In the world, maybe. But in society - seems like not.

Do you see a psychologist?

Too expencive. I only consulted online, and she recommended me to take antidepressants, that i am trying to do now.

Ukraine. But i do not call it home, because first - it's a terrible place, second - i hate the idea of countries. So i just live here because i have no other choice.

You are most welcome! My husband dislikes countries too. He believes the whole concept creates too much suffering and perpetuates power struggles. I agree.

Hi, I just read your posts on this thread. I have a thought. I think you are already a writer. There are many different methods, here is one

Write about the characters individually. Dont worry you will just keep adding to them as you go.

Separate the legend from the narrative. The narrative is like the story that you read in a novel, it unfolds in a sequence. Like a storyteller.

but the legend is told differently, legends do not get published, they are just for you.

Try writing a fake newspaper article when you do not know where the plot is going, it is kind of fun and it often jogs something loose.

Write out of sequence. Write about the funeral of the lead character, or write the one part you know about then try and find the rest later.

It's the expression that matters, it let's the mind ride on the wings of the spirit. Fan fiction is fun, pick any type of any genre and just go for it.

There is this fun site I think you may like it's called reedsy. You can read and publish short stories and poetry there.

I'm sorry I don't really understand what a video game plot is about, or why writing it needs to be kept private. Can you broaden your scope a bit?

I have a cat too, her name is binki, she is a calico. She was the runt of the litter, the smallest and weakest. I saved her. She was so small I had to give her pap and treat her eyes, maybe 5 weeks old not sure. Pap is a jelly that is made for sick cats and kittens too young for solid food.

I hope you find some friends here, I have some advice. Sometimes you can learn about what others like just to be supportive. Sometimes you can find new things to talk about. It could be anything from making stone tools to the colors of autumn.

I hope this finds you well and blessed, welcome to the forum

I have similar RAADS-R scores (same test, if I'm not mistaken) and I'm pretty sure I have Asperger's (lumped into DSM-V) -- you might try the Aspie quiz to see if you have Asperger's as well -- it certainly seems so.

If you are into gaming, depending on your abilities in video editing and such, you might consider doing gameplay videos or something similar on YouTube, there are a number of YouTubers that do that, however, they generally have much higher-end equipment than average. I myself have a Ryzen 7 1700 processor with nVidia GTX1650 Super GPU, a reasonable decent mid-grade setup, but still limited. Considering upgrading so I can do this, but I already find the video editing software I have to be frustratingly difficult to use.

I have also written and self-published a crime novel using Kindle's self-publishing setup, something anyone who likes to write can do. I would caution, you however, to work with a good editor who can protect your work using Digital Rights Management, as my debut work was heavily pirated and robbed me of around $100k USD in royalties.

For what it's worth, I've considered future works being marketed through a "five-chapters for free" basis initially, with payment required to get the rest of the story, possibly through a link to an encrypted document that expires after 7 days or something.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom