• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't know what to do, need some help or advice.

LucyPurrs

NT, INFJ
V.I.P Member
Posting here because this has nothing to do with autism or aspergers but do need some input.
I am on a cancer med to help prevent reoccurrence of breast cancer. It has side effects of joint and bone pain, hot flashes and depression with fuzzy thinking. Today I realized that I just am not myself by a long shot. I ache continuously especially my legs which means I don't go to the pool and swim a mile like I used to swim 4-5 days per week, I have no energy and feel mildly depressed all the time, the meds radically lower all my female hormones so it's like menopause x 10 and this is causing the fuzzy brain stuff(as well as the depression) I think. The problem is that the alternative medicine has the scary risks of DVT, stroke, & endometrial cancer. The docs are trying to convince me to switch but I'm afraid to. However I realized today that I'm fairly miserable on my current meds. Have been trying to tolerate the side effects but they really are impacting my functioning. I am almost tempted to risk reoccurrence and I know this is crazy.
If anyone has any advice, input, comments etc. I'd really appreciate them.

If the risks of the alternative recurrance-prevention medicine are unacceptable, could your doctors not try to find additional therapies to ameliorate the side effects of your current medication?

Or could they maybe reduce the dosage to one that is less than optimal, but might reduce the severity of the side effects you are experiencing?

I'm really sorry you are going through this situation, trying to choose the least-awful of the options available to you.

If the risks of the alternative recurrance-prevention medicine are unacceptable, could your doctors not try to find additional therapies to ameliorate the side effects of your current medication?

Or could they maybe reduce the dosage to one that is less than optimal, but might reduce the severity of the side effects you are experiencing?

I'm really sorry you are going through this situation, trying to choose the least-awful of the options available to you.

This is very helpful, thanks Tortoise! I will ask if a reduction in dosage is an option. The doc did prescribe an antidepressant but I am having trouble getting myself to take it- not sure why. But I do appreciate your support.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all that, LucyPurrs. This is what I got:

Have you extensively researched the alternative medication? Sometimes those catastrophic side effects are incredible longshots, i.e. they're extremely unlikely. For example, my doc was fighting me about taking an MAOI antidepressant because she said they're dangerous. I did the research and found out that they're so "dangerous" because 27 people out of a study of 29,700 reported being seriously sickened. Yet because of this incredibly tiny fraction of people who experienced serious side effects, pretty much every doctor swears up and down that MAOIs are deadlier than a barrel of wet cats. That's what I'm wondering about that alternative medication you mention - if the chance of stroke, etc. is ridiculously small like that.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all that, LucyPurrs. This is what I got:

Have you extensively researched the alternative medication? Sometimes those catastrophic side effects are incredible longshots, i.e. they're extremely unlikely. For example, my doc was fighting me about taking an MAOI antidepressant because she said they're dangerous. I did the research and found out that they're so "dangerous" because 27 people out of a study of 29,700 reported being seriously sickened. Yet because of this incredibly tiny fraction of people who experienced serious side effects, pretty much every doctor swears up and down that MAOIs are deadlier than a barrel of wet cats. That's what I'm wondering about that alternative medication you mention - if the chance of stroke, etc. is ridiculously small like that.

This is a good point Gritches and I've been thinking I need to find this out about the alternative medication. Was going to ask the doctor but after reading your post guess I'll try to research this on my own!!! Thanks!

Well I think it's much better to have a shorter life that you enjoy than a longer one you hate, but there surely has to be a better compromise rather than just taking big a risk like that and I'd definitely look for other opinions. I see people have also already suggested possible alternatives and I truly wish you the very best.

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Just out of the blue, have you ever tried or researched CBDs? They are becoming known for their anti cancer properties and have in some cases put people into remission from cancers that docs give patients almost no chance of recovery, with zero to very little side effects. Perhaps this could be an alternative to the meds you are using now. I personally know 7 people that swear they wouldn't have survived without the aid of CBDs.

My sister finished chemo a few months ago and has bad joint and bone pain. Is it all because of the meds you are taking now or partly possibly after effects of the chemo? My sister is being tested to figure out the cause of hers but it seems to be a common complaint after treatment from what I was reading earlier tonight. Sorry you are feeling so bad, hope you get things figured out and feel better.

Natural pain relief comes from oxytocin which you get from laughter, cuddling something, exercise very moderately .
In diet eat phytoestrogens :eggplant::maize::cherries::watermelon::strawberry::peach::banana::grapes::greenapple::chestnut::melon:broccoli tomato :tomato:there is a big list at wikihow.com/how to increase estrogen its at the bottom of the page .
Bizarrely two cups of caffeinated coffee every day helps don't drink any more that ,I KNow caffeine is included as a painkiller for migraines .

just remembered I was drinking tonic water and it tastes like aspirin to me !but I have a strange sense of taste ,you could drink tonic water for a certain amount of pain relief but just don't drink it for every drink !as its quinine and its toxic if you drunk it for every drink.

Posting here because this has nothing to do with autism or aspergers but do need some input.
I am on a cancer med to help prevent reoccurrence of breast cancer. It has side effects of joint and bone pain, hot flashes and depression with fuzzy thinking. Today I realized that I just am not myself by a long shot. I ache continuously especially my legs which means I don't go to the pool and swim a mile like I used to swim 4-5 days per week, I have no energy and feel mildly depressed all the time, the meds radically lower all my female hormones so it's like menopause x 10 and this is causing the fuzzy brain stuff(as well as the depression) I think. The problem is that the alternative medicine has the scary risks of DVT, stroke, & endometrial cancer. The docs are trying to convince me to switch but I'm afraid to. However I realized today that I'm fairly miserable on my current meds. Have been trying to tolerate the side effects but they really are impacting my functioning. I am almost tempted to risk reoccurrence and I know this is crazy.
If anyone has any advice, input, comments etc. I'd really appreciate them.

Hello Lucy.

When I am told I have something going on, I go on a journey of understanding, so that I can be in control and not the pharma companies.

As I said before, cancer is actually easy to solve, if you understand the makeup of cancer.

What is ironic, is that you are being given drugs to halt an progression of cancer and yet, your side effects are probably worse than cancer all together!

Did you know that it is chemo that kills and not cancer? Because, you see, cancer thrives on a low immune system, since that system is designed to kill off bad cells; so when that immune system is cut off, whoa, you are open to all kinds of attacks.

Cancer are just bad cells that become immortal and why they cause havoc in the body.

I URGE you to watch these series: The truth about cancer, the global quest.

Did you know that it is chemo that kills and not cancer? Because, you see, cancer thrives on a low immune system, since that system is designed to kill off bad cells; so when that immune system is cut off, whoa, you are open to all kinds of attacks.
It is true chemo kills the immune system.
The very thing that can kill cancer itself.

I have known several people who took chemo and went into remission, but when it returned, the chemo didn't work the second time around since their immune system had been wrecked from the first session.

Being a survivor myself of a rare liver cancer for seven years now, I remember I was given a choice after surgical removal of the left lobe.
My Oncologist said there was no known chemo or radiation that would destroy my type, but, if I wanted to take a chance on regular chemo in the hopes I might get lucky, he would give it to me.
My reply was NO.
I will rely on my own immune system rather than destroying it.
He then gave me the odds of two years max anyway as it always comes back, he said.

I may be treading thin ice, but, when people, even nurses hear seven years! They're saying things like
"Wow, I've never met anyone before who's made it seven years!"
I know they're thinking "You're supposed to be dead."
But, I'm glad I didn't do the chemo.

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this now.
As Gritches implied, often the terrible things that can happen with alternatives may be very low percentages and then you can make decisions based on that as compared to what the chemo is doing.
Research. I find that is the key in any situation.

I'm in a similar position to you. I take ovary suppression medication, Lupron, and Tamoxifen as a hormone blocker. These are common side effects of these drugs, which induce menopause. I have the hot flashes, difficulty concentrating and fatigue, but not the joint pain (yet). I also take an antidepressant, Sertraline, so I don't have depression - it was the only way I could cope with the situation and it helped a lot. I also took Xanax for a while. I also feel that I'm not myself, and the lack of concentration, fatigue and memory issues are causing me a lot of stress. It seems to exacerbate some of my Asperger's traits.

the meds radically lower all my female hormones so it's like menopause x 10 and this is causing the fuzzy brain stuff(as well as the depression) I think.

Did you have chemotherapy? The fuzzy brain can also be a result of 'chemobrain' or as a result of trauma/anxiety, in other words, PTSD.

The antidepressant Effexor is known to reduce some of the symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes. I was recommended to take it, but I haven't done so yet. Also, I have heard that sage tea might help.

I know that some people find that the can't cope with the side effects of Tamoxifen and stop taking it. The risk of recurrence after stopping it depends on the type, stage and grade of your cancer, that's a personal decision that only you can make. There is an online breast cancer forum which you might find helpful here:
Breastcancer.org Community - Breast Cancer Discussion Forums

In diet eat phytoestrogens :eggplant::maize::cherries::watermelon::strawberry::peach::banana::grapes::greenapple::chestnut::melon:broccoli tomato :tomato:there is a big list at wikihow.com/how to increase estrogen its at the bottom of the page .

With breast cancer, it is not recommended that one eats phytoestrogens, because it is estrogen that locks onto the cancer cells and causes them to grow. This is why patients are prescribed homone suppressors or blockers. Also, some kinds of plastic also contain chemical estrogens: plastic bottles and containers when they are heated, the lining of some canned food. Peas also absorb estrogens, so avoid caneed peas like the plague.

As @Major420 mentions, CBDs are known for their anticancer properties, as are ginger (this has two active ingredients, gingerol and shogaol, both of which have medicinal properties. Gingerol is active in raw ginger, shogaol is active in cooked ginger. Shogaol is effective because it causes cancer cells to auto-destruct)
Ginger as an antioxidant and natural cancer fighter - Cancer Tutor
Ginger causes cancer cells to commit suicide
Also, olive leaf extract contains a substance which is a powerful antioxident and is known to boost the immune system, oleuropein, and has been shown to reduce cancer tumours. I juice olive leaves and drink them every day, and also take ginger.
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/olive-leaf-extract-benefits/
Also, shiitake mushrooms are known to have anticancer properties.

Did you know that it is chemo that kills and not cancer? Because, you see, cancer thrives on a low immune system, since that system is designed to kill off bad cells; so when that immune system is cut off, whoa, you are open to all kinds of attacks

Yes, you are right. Chemotherapy destroys cancer cells and is indeed effective in reducing tumours, but it also kills healthy cells and depletes the immune system. Many hospitals also offer immunotherapy, which aims to get your immune system to target the cancer and destroy it, but it is only effective in about 50% of cases, and there might be alternative, natural ways of boosting the immune system and detroying cancer cells. Such treatments exist, but are not widely publicized because the pharmoceutical companies have a huge invested interest in the drugs they sell and they suppress research into simple, natural cures - they doctors just don't talk about those. However, I would never recommend that someone should forgo chemotherapy and other conventional treatments - I am not a doctor and it's not my place to say what treatment someone should use, but I do suggest that these natural substances may be taken to compliment therapy.

Wow what a great outpouring of support! Thanks to all, There are so many good ideas and so much good information that I haven't digested it all yet. But did want to clarify that I did not need or have either chemotherapy or radiation as my type of tumor did not require either so in that I was very lucky. I'm only needing to take a hormone suppressant. Currently am on Letrazole which is a hormone suppressant I think. My doc wants me to switch to Tamoxifen which is the one I'm afraid of. She will let me decide which one to take but has been adamant that I need to take something to prevent reoccurrence. The info re natural supplements to treatment is very interesting and I will look into these and discuss with my doctor. Thank you all for your good wishes, the support means a lot to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom