• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi. I'm Sunny.
I am a recently self-diagnosed 71 year old Grandmother of 3 boys. I am also a mental health therapist working from home, and I love it!
I have ADHD, as well, and I am hoping to come up with some solutions for the procrastination that seems to co-occur with what my family call my "Deep Dives" into a recurring or current interest. Any thoughts?
One of my quirks is that I am essentially afraid of getting caught in the steps of an escalator, at one end or the other so I avoid them whenever I can, even though it makes no logical sense that I could get caught in it. And I still haven't gotten the hang of revolving doors after all of this time. (-:
Take a breath with escalators or revolving doors ,look down and take another breath ,watch the speed of repetition in both ,then try to time your steps .

Hi. I'm Sunny.
I am a recently self-diagnosed 71 year old Grandmother of 3 boys. I am also a mental health therapist working from home, and I love it!
I have ADHD, as well, and I am hoping to come up with some solutions for the procrastination that seems to co-occur with what my family call my "Deep Dives" into a recurring or current interest. Any thoughts?
One of my quirks is that I am essentially afraid of getting caught in the steps of an escalator, at one end or the other so I avoid them whenever I can, even though it makes no logical sense that I could get caught in it. And I still haven't gotten the hang of revolving doors after all of this time. (-:
Welcome. On this forum you are certainly not alone with a late realization or diagnosis.

Welcome Sunny!

I'm 65 and got a diagnosis in mid 50's.
They didn't know much about ASD when I was young and just got diagnosed with Anxiety disorder.

Just be mindful when using escalators. I always feel like I might lose my balance and fall when
the first and last steps move under my feet. Takes some coordination.

My son is diagnosed with Autism and the same goes for my niece. I don't have an official diagnose, but according to a psychologist there's no doubt I could be diagnosed with Aspergers. My Ritvo-score confirms her opinion.

I'm a very high functioning Asperger, and most people would never guess that I'm not a successful neurotypical. But behind the facade they would find a brain working overtime constantly processing input from a chaotic and potentially hostile world.

What comes easy to NT's, I have to figure out the hard way. Everytime. Sometimes it's like everybody else is running their life on a computer, while I have to do exactly as many calculations, but with only pen and paper available. That makes keeping up extremely draining, and doesn't leave much energy for anything else.View attachment 72778
To be probably !more accurate, you have still got the energy to pretend you're neurotypical, I haven't ,so I'm at the wanting to sleep all! the! time! stage

Hi. I'm just Jonathan. I'll be turning 30 this November and I've got Asperger's which was officially diagnosed when I was either 5or 9 years old. It runs in my family on my father's side and maybe my mother's too. I've never had a girlfriend because of my extreme trust issues. I live in Madison Illinois in an apartment run by a mental health company. I have no friends outside of my building and they're all men with addiction problems. I recently overcame a behavioral addiction that cost me some close family members who probably never loved me to begin with. I'm on SSDI and I don't have opportunities to get out much. I'm mostly working on my YouTube channel. I've been wanting a girlfriend for a long time and I've tried communicating with women online but to no avail. Ever since I was three I can remember wanting a significant other but I'm kinda at a point where I've given up on the possibility.

Here is an avatar idea for you,...
Man With No Name
full

Hi all,

I'm 39 and I live in The Netherlands. I got my diagnosis a few months ago. I had no idea I was autistic. When I was child I was often bullied because I was different, I was often in my own world, I struggled making friends, I was clumsy. I tried to cover it all up to feel more socially acceptable. However I would spend a lot of time at home where I could hide and feel safe from the overstimulation of the outside world. I found a lot of obstacles along the way and still do. I know I have a lot to learn about myself and my autism but I’m very positive about joining this community, because I see it as a chance to learn from others by sharing ideas, thoughts and solutions with like-minded people.

Hi all,

I'm 39 and I live in The Netherlands. I got my diagnosis a few months ago. I had no idea I was autistic. When I was child I was often bullied because I was different, I was often in my own world, I struggled making friends, I was clumsy. I tried to cover it all up to feel more socially acceptable. However I would spend a lot of time at home where I could hide and feel safe from the overstimulation of the outside world. I found a lot of obstacles along the way and still do. I know I have a lot to learn about myself and my autism but I’m very positive about joining this community, because I see it as a chance to learn from others by sharing ideas, thoughts and solutions with like-minded people.

Hallo en welkom. I experienced the same as you, diagnose in my 30s. It's a nice forum, nice people and sensible moderators. :)

Hello & welcome.

Is the escalator thing a "deep dive," or a different type of issue...?
(That topic may be better in a different sub-forum. ;))
I think that it is an instilled fear from my mother for the escalator and general klutz anxiety for the revolving door. Thanks for your reply. It took me a while because I just saw the alert spot.

Take a breath with escalators or revolving doors ,look down and take another breath ,watch the speed of repetition in both ,then try to time your steps .
Thank you, Streetwise for the tips. Nice to meet you. Sorry these replies took so long, I am new to being on a blog and am just learning how to use it. (-:

Hi. I'm just Jonathan. I'll be turning 30 this November and I've got Asperger's which was officially diagnosed when I was either 5or 9 years old. It runs in my family on my father's side and maybe my mother's too. I've never had a girlfriend because of my extreme trust issues. I live in Madison Illinois in an apartment run by a mental health company. I have no friends outside of my building and they're all men with addiction problems. I recently overcame a behavioral addiction that cost me some close family members who probably never loved me to begin with. I'm on SSDI and I don't have opportunities to get out much. I'm mostly working on my YouTube channel. I've been wanting a girlfriend for a long time and I've tried communicating with women online but to no avail. Ever since I was three I can remember wanting a significant other but I'm kinda at a point where I've given up on the possibility.
Welcome, Nonamedjohn. I'm real new here as well. Glad to start to know you.

Welcome Sunny!

I'm 65 and got a diagnosis in mid 50's.
They didn't know much about ASD when I was young and just got diagnosed with Anxiety disorder.

Just be mindful when using escalators. I always feel like I might lose my balance and fall when
the first and last steps move under my feet. Takes some coordination.
Thank you. Yes. It almost feels like falling into an abyss.

New Threads

Top Bottom