• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does your mind work too hard?

C

Chris

Do you over-think anything/everything? I do. I think about every possible outcome to every action I make if I have the time. I try and plan everything make it all fall into place perfectly. This process is mainly true for social situations. Often I'll miss a cue (probably the wrong spelling, but whatever) or not get in what I meant to say because I'm still thinking about it - One of the reasons I prefer talking online - You can think through and refine your answer until your satisfied. That was a bit of a ramble, hopefully you understand what I was trying to say - and I'd like to know if any of you are the same. :p

I think this is the reason why so many aspies have insomia.
Yeah.
I'm too bored to write about my personal exp.
But it's similar to yours.
EMZ=]

i overthink pretty much any situation, then once i **** up the situation, i then go over it for hours
I used to be like that. I'd obsess over my mistakes.
Not so bad anymore I don't think.
IDK though.
EMZ=]

I tend to not pay attention to what I'm saying and offend people without meaning to,I don't over think I under

think and not respond to nonverbal cues, usually I'll figure it out later and plan to fix my screw up the

next time I see that person.

I do that, but I don't consider it overthinking. I just think I am very thorough. :p People envy me for how on top of things I am, and that aspect of my personality is why I am always on top of things.

When a social situation goes wrong, I think about it over and over again almost obsessively and I have to consciously distract myself from it. Sometimes I get really worked up about it.

What's more impairing for me, though, is that I overthink simple choices that I realize logically don't have much of a long-term effect on anything, including how my day goes. For example, when I go into a restaurant or fast-food chain, and I see all the choices for a "meal"--I could get soda, water, or milk, I could get these kinds of chips or those, or instead of chips I could get apple slices or soup (or even cookies!), it gets really overwhelming. It's not a situation that makes me panicky, but I find it very difficult to make up my mind. Every time, I just pick something and I"m happy with it, and I know that's how it goes every single time, but I still spend WAY too much time looking up at the options.

This aspect of thinking has served me well in several situations, though. When I lived in the dorms, we had modular furnature, that you could stack the beds on top of one another, or on top of the desks, you could stack the dressers, the bookshelves, and pretty much everything else. My sophomore year when my roommate moved out, I "overthought" all the possible things I could do with the furniture to make the space as functional as possible, and I wound up stacking the beds in such a way that I had a little "cave" underneath the beds to study in, where I put a rug and some bean bags.

n20312716_33028930_2336.jpg

n20312716_33025186_1125.jpg

The second one is me, playing between the beds. The picture is from two years ago, and I can't remember why I was doing that...aside from the fact that it's really fun :)

Please excuse the messy, unmade bed in the first pic :p

i overthink pretty much any situation, then once i **** up the situation, i then go over it for hours

Replace "hours" with "years", or in my place "decades", and that about sums me up as well.

I overthink everything. It can be a help with working on IT projects and stuff like that. But mostly it is a negative. I wish that I could turn it on and off at will.

I can relate to the turning over messed up situations in my head. Not that it will change anything in a lot of cases and I won't even want to think about it anymore, but I don't seem to have a choice lol.

I over think everything after it has happened, which is sometimes why I can't sleep when I want to at night; my head just gets messy. But when I need to over think things, I don't; like in a social situation that I spend hours thinking about afterwards, I really should have spent some time thinking it through there and then. I over think decisions though, I can never seem to make my mind up.

Oh and about the under the bed cave. I used to arrange my room so that there was always some kind of hiding places between things or behind things. I usually used to put my computer and books there so I could escape the world.

My mind's always working too much. Sometimes it's going so quickly I cant interperet my feelings, thoughts or emotions.

My mind's always working too much. Sometimes it's going so quickly I cant interperet my feelings, thoughts or emotions.
I was watching your videos and the way you constantly argue and counter-argue what you say shows so :p.
EMZ=]

Yeah. It actually makes me feel exhausted.
I don't mind it so much, it's just that I find stopping hard...
in that video I launch into rants quite a lot but it's not about anything even that important o_O.
Once I made a video about my views on aliens(not foreigner like aliens, just like, sci-fi alien sorta thing) when I was like 12 and it turned out it was 24 minutes long and I thought it was only 5, because I ranted so much, and I was also speaking REALLY fast to fit everything in xD.
EMZ=]

I don't mind it so much, it's just that I find stopping hard...
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6eqWQ6v7Yaw[/media]
in that video I launch into rants quite a lot but it's not about anything even that important o_O.
Once I made a video about my views on aliens(not foreigner like aliens, just like, sci-fi alien sorta thing) when I was like 12 and it turned out it was 24 minutes long and I thought it was only 5, because I ranted so much, and I was also speaking REALLY fast to fit everything in xD.
EMZ=]

Hehe yeah. I tried to make a video of me talking about AS but I couldnt really fit two hours into 10 minutes :/

LOL XD.
Once I had to do a one minute speech on this thing we had to create in product design and I was still doing the basic intro as such xD.
I had a 30 minute speech planned out xD.
EMZ=P

LOL XD.
Once I had to do a one minute speech on this thing we had to create in product design and I was still doing the basic intro as such xD.
I had a 30 minute speech planned out xD.
EMZ=P

I'd trying to come up with a reply. But I cant.

My mind burned out after years of 24/7/365, agonizing thinking abput what was right and wrong, what I wanted and didn't want, God stuff, etc. and I had to go on antidepressants. I eventually got myself sorted out, but unfortunately I met a downfall of sorts and then had to go on anti-d's before I could actually finsih it/try again and do it right.

New Threads

Top Bottom