• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does TV portray us well?

ChurchTheArtist

The love child of Bob Ross and Batman
Hi all, I had more of a fun, lighthearted question of less consequence. Do you think the television and movie industry portray aspergers well? Are there any notable characters who do a good or bad job helping others understand?

I've seen a few characters here and there (mostly on anime) that actually show the symptoms but without an official title. But my favorite character is Abed from Community. He was well established in the first episode and they were not ashamed to say out loud in that pilot that he has aspergers.

Abed is the root of many skits while not being made fun of. In many ways, he helped me laugh at my own quirks. Over the six seasons, you watch him go through some growth and even have a few meltdowns.

I have people who have known me over 10 years now but they understood me a little better after watching the Robocop episode with me. In that episode, they tried to portray a playful version of an autistic kid's mind as he tries to process social rules through hard coded logic.
Hint: Abed's obsession is TV and Movies.

New Threads

Top Bottom