• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does the fashion industry have a cold climate bias?

Pink Jazz

Some people seem to wonder if spring or warm weather clothes are available year-round here in the Phoenix area, and unfortunately, we are still held at the mercy of fashion companies' seasonal calendars with their traditional spring and fall collections, leaving it to the retailers to choose what to stock from fashion companies' fall collections. While some premium and luxury brands also produce resort or cruise collections, these are not typically introduced until late in the fall.

I wonder, do you think the fashion industry has a bias towards cold climates? This would not be surprising considering that much of the U.S. fashion industry is based in New York.

That's perceptive, and it likely does have a cold climate bias. In fact I would think that a market for four seasons is likely a more lucrative one. People who buy clothing in tropical climates would have no need for heavy coats or boots or heavy sweaters or down jackets or gloves. Yet people who live in the colder climates have a need for every season of clothing.

Last edited:
That's perceptive, and it likely does have a cold climate bias. If fact I would think that a market for four seasons is likely a more lucrative one. People who buy clothing in tropical climates would have no need for heavy coats or boots or heavy sweaters or down jackets or gloves. Yet people who live in the colder climates have a need for every season of clothing.

And in truth, the major seasons in the fashion world are Spring and Fall, which usually encompass Summer and Winter, respectively. Only a select number do separate Summer and Winter collections, while some instead do extra seasons such as Pre-Fall (which isn't the same as Summer), Holiday, and/or Resort/Cruise (the latter typically introduced in late fall).

If you shop offline, then yes, it is seasonal, but I get plenty of out of season clothes from shopping online. I use ebay.

I wonder, do you think the fashion industry has a bias towards cold climates? This would not be surprising considering that much of the U.S. fashion industry is based in New York.

There are 2 major cities in the world that are the fashion capitals of the world. And that's Paris France and New York City.

The more seasons the fashion industry can design for the more new trendy clothes they can persuade people they MUST buy, and the more money they get. Eternal warm weather is not profitable.

There are 2 major cities in the world that are the fashion capitals of the world. And that's Paris France and New York City.

Please do not forget Milan, Italy. They are indeed a top fashion capitol of the world, though not as well thought of if one is in the US.

Yes. Also cities like Rome (same latitude as NYC) and London.

Please do not forget Milan, Italy. They are indeed a top fashion capitol of the world, though not as well thought of if one is in the US.

I know that there are a lot of other cities out there that do fashion. I just was referring to the two number 1 cities out there and that is Paris and New York.

Some people seem to wonder if spring or warm weather clothes are available year-round here in the Phoenix area, and unfortunately, we are still held at the mercy of fashion companies' seasonal calendars with their traditional spring and fall collections, leaving it to the retailers to choose what to stock from fashion companies' fall collections. While some premium and luxury brands also produce resort or cruise collections, these are not typically introduced until late in the fall.

I’m not sure but probably.

I know that there are a lot of other cities out there that do fashion. I just was referring to the two number 1 cities out there and that is Paris and New York.

Milan IS considered a “number one fashion city” also. There are three. I worked in the fashion industry for nearly a decade, including in NYC. Depending on where you are in the world, one has differing opinions, but all three locations are immensely important.

the solution is simple, don't waste your money being manipulated by the fashion industry,
they are the kings of being able to tell people that if they don't do as they say, that people then don't belong

continue wearing your summer/spring gear during the autumn/winter

calling it a bias, i would say is inaccurate, i'm pretty sure they don't sell winter clothes in december in australia, because it's summer there then

the solution is simple, don't waste your money being manipulated by the fashion industry,
they are the kings of being able to tell people that if they don't do as they say, that people then don't belong

continue wearing your summer/spring gear during the autumn/winter

calling it a bias, i would say is inaccurate, i'm pretty sure they don't sell winter clothes in december in australia, because it's summer there then

If only the fashion companies could apply the same logic to warmer U.S. climates such as Florida, South Texas, or southern Arizona by selling the Spring collections year-round. Unfortunately, we get more limited Fall collections instead.

There is an easy, affordable solution. Buy your clothing used. It’s an environmental win win. It’s extremely affordable. You can have tremendous fashion sense and look like a million bucks. People will never know just how poor you are. You buy what you want, when you want it, and at the prices you want. Buy online at eBay by searching for exactly what you want, I. The color and size you want. Or shop at thrift/charity shops in a regular basis.

Shop at “new” stores only when there are ridiculous sales going on, or just to get ideas of looking for the same thing online for pennies on the dollar.

A family member works in the fashion industry. She will wear her garments only one season, then it’s donated to charity shops. These are expensive high quality garments that will be sold at the thrift stores for 1/10 or 1/20 of what they retailed for. Why shop any other way?

To me I wear whatever. T shirt and jeans in the spring and summer, sweater and jeans in the fall and winter. I think the fashion industry adjusts for all seasons.

Interestingly, IZOD just launched an ad campaign featuring Aaron Rodgers and Colin Jost in effort to boost Fall sales. IZOD is a brand that makes most of their sales in the Spring, and IZOD wants to shake off their stigma of being primarily a Spring brand.

New Threads

Top Bottom