• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does social anxiety disorder improve without medication?

Catlover614

Love Conquers
I continue in my social qualms as if I'm still in high school. I still will not initiate conversations with anyone unless done so online.

It may in others, but certainly not me and as you say: might as well be at school again, for all the anxiety of meeting people and yep, I rarely go and initate a conversaton. But my faith does help me and I use commendation toward's the person to go up and talk and can, sometimes shake new comer's hands, but it is only when I feel super ok and that is pretty rare.

I suffer from chronic social anxiety and realised that going out on my own, is a major feat and can only do so, occasionally.

I did discover that driving really helps me, but I do not have a licence and a car without licence, costs too much. (I live in France). Excuse the sudden change in type, I pressed something and because I touch type, I have no idea what I pressed lol

It may in others, but certainly not me and as you say: might as well be at school again, for all the anxiety of meeting people and yep, I rarely go and initate a conversaton. But my faith does help me and I use commendation toward's the person to go up and talk and can, sometimes shake new comer's hands, but it is only when I feel super ok and that is pretty rare.

I suffer from chronic social anxiety and realised that going out on my own, is a major feat and can only do so, occasionally.

I did discover that driving really helps me, but I do not have a licence and a car without licence, costs too much. (I live in France). Excuse the sudden change in type, I pressed something and because I touch type, I have no idea what I pressed lol
Don't worry about it, no problem. I suffer alone in silence because I don't connect well. I'm overly cautious and very timid.

In some people, their bodies have properly "rewired" during puberty curing them of depression, anxiety, Autism etc...

In some people, they develop many of those problems as something goes wrong with the wiring of the body and even the brain during puberty.

For some reason boys are at major risk until they hit about 30-35 for many issues.

I continue in my social qualms as if I'm still in high school. I still will not initiate conversations with anyone unless done so online.

My social anxiety got better with age. I can initiate a conversation with a person or maybe two or three people now. I think that it is because I am more confident in myself these days. My problem is with larger groups of people. I do not know why, but I get silent when there are a lot of people. I can usually talk a lot if I am talking about something that I know a lot about. but not when there are large groups of people. I do not and never have taken medication for anxiety.

My social anxiety got better with age. I can initiate a conversation with a person or maybe two or three people now. I think that it is because I am more confident in myself these days. My problem is with larger groups of people. I do not know why, but I get silent when there are a lot of people. I can usually talk a lot if I am talking about something that I know a lot about. but not when there are large groups of people. I do not and never have taken medication for anxiety.
Awesome that you have that confidence. I do not. Not after years and years of being laughed at by my family and peers. I lack confidence big time. I will not even go where I know there's going to be a large group because that will definitely send me into an inner meltdown, which causes me to withdraw and go right back into my shell.

It has for me. Although I can only guess at what has really helped.

Either that it just seems to matter less with time- and age (maybe I just don't give a damn anymore) and/or that being my own boss has freed me from being dependent on social interactions where I am inherently subservient or dependent on someone.

I'm dependent on no one at the moment in any way. I suppose I could say it's "liberating" relative to how uptight social interactions used to be for me. But then I also mitigate it all living in near isolation.

So all in all, this is about as close as I can be in determining why my social anxieties have diminished. I gave up using beta-blockers many years ago by my own choice. Good for me considering the FDA eventually determined the medication I once used was harmful to me.

My social anxiety got better throughout life. Medications and time are not the only factors you have to consider though. People really don't "improve" as a result of using medications; they may find a sweet spot for a chemical adjustment but that's not what qualifies as a personal improvement. Let me give an example:

If you are not very strong you may wear a back brace to help keep you from hurting yourself when lifting objects. This is like medication adding extra support where you are weak. However, as it works out over scientific observation, when using a back brace over prolonged periods of time you do not improve your muscle strength but instead your muscles go into atrophy. An external support system will always do more harm than good unless balanced with extra, non supported exercise.

Without the use of medications, can someone improve their social anxiety? Absolutely. The medications are not a tool of improvement; they are a tool of adjustment, it's not the same. What I don't see a lot of being tossed around these forums is the concept that self improvement comes from introspective understanding and external effort. You cannot expect improvement with age either, that alludes that time will instigate change in the form of physical growth and that is not guaranteed. However, everyone has the capacity to improve with social anxiety by means of observation, introspection, support systems and experience.

My improvements have not simply been because I grew older. It was hard work. Iimmersed myself in a new life and surrounded myself with a specific group of friends who showed me both support and tough love. I aimed to improve and I worked at it for 12 years. I meditated often, I sought counsel for ways to improve, I conducted small studies and I always worked to immerse myself in social interactions because you are never going to learn how to swim until you get in the water and wearing floaties (medication)

Medications don't make improvement happen, hard work and strong resolve does.

I can. I learned how to work the room at parties with various types of people. Last time I was at a major party with my family, my parents and normally charismatic little brother were all taken back at how I mingled with everyone as they shied in their own corner. My NT family has lost their touch having no reason to develop social skill. They used to be far more functional socially but now they can't even handle crowds. My little brother used to be the golden child of pure charisma that would draw the attentions of all the people's hearts. But because he grew up with that natural talent, he hit adulthood and slowly lost his shine because his charm didn't put food on his plate. Whereas I, the disabled black sheep of the family, grew up under constant strain and pressure for being seen as a lesser human so now I come out on the other end far more capable and mentally strong. Living a functional life takes hard work. Now my mother can't even stand to go to the store due to the stress whereas I was teaching multiple college courses in my early 20s. It's all about the hard work. Never forget that. Even the most disabled person can learn to shine if they work hard and believe in themselves.

Hi Catlover614

I have social anxiety, & have difficulties with people irl, & haven't changed much since high school either. I have learned a little - it is a small bit compared to others that have posted here.

It does help to push yourself - within reason. Watch out for black and white thinking - it will mess up the process of building a toolbox. That effort to try is how you build yourself up. Advise from others is nice & the support is important but to make it happen you have to choose "stuff to do that you are interested in." I find that having a goal helps a lot, but make sure it is do-able. Write down ideas that are pleasing to you, & plan out small steps that are attainable. From experience I'll add that taking on too big of a goal at first is not a good plan.

For me social anxiety does not improve without medication. I practically avoid all social events. At work it takes a long time before I can connect with people I do not know. I have seen people at my place of work for three years and I still have not said a word to them.
I started using quetiapine about a year ago and I have to say it helps with the anxiety.

New Threads

Top Bottom