• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone on here like heavy metal?

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Metal Archives, in that they can be very informative about some fairly obscure bands, but they also have some very arbitrary rules when it comes to who they think is metal or not. I mean, Rush is listed on there but Led Zeppelin isn't, even though both bands sounded very similar in their early years (if you've heard Rush's first album, aka the one with John Rutsey, they sound like a Canadian Zeppelin on there). Also, Flower Travellin' Band, a semi-obscure Japanese psychedelic band, was listed on there for years until one day...BAM...not anymore.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with Metal Archives, in that they can be very informative about some fairly obscure bands, but they also have some very arbitrary rules when it comes to who they think is metal or not. I mean, Rush is listed on there but Led Zeppelin isn't, even though both bands sounded very similar in their early years (if you've heard Rush's first album, aka the one with John Rutsey, they sound like a Canadian Zeppelin on there). Also, Flower Travellin' Band, a semi-obscure Japanese psychedelic band, was listed on there for years until one day...BAM...not anymore.

I more or less agree. They had King’s X listed for many years and would reject Living Colour despite how both bands sounded similar. A few years ago, they removed King’s X but kept the band members’ solo projects. They used to reject Ministry until Rio Grande Blood came out even though Ministry had thrash influenced songs long before then. However, they still refuse to accept KMFDM despite how thrash influenced the albums Angst and Nihil are. I do suppose it’s possible the staff there haven’t listened to those records, though, since industrial metal doesn’t seem to be their cup of tea.

I don’t blame them for not wanting “mathcore” bands, though. Those bands tend to be more punk influenced and disassociate themselves from metal subcultures. Don’t get me wrong, I like punk, too. The site also rejects System of a Down despite their Slayer influence. However, Daron Malakian, IIRC, considers SOAD’s music to be “pop”.

Last edited:
I've only ever really heard "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour, but they had a great sound.

I think I became a fan either this or last year. I don't remember exactly. I don't know if i have a favorite subgenre yet, but I tend to lean towards the slower, more depressing doom metal stuff or doom infused stoner metal like Electric Wizard. I also like seeing death metal and doom metal intertwine like in Paradise Lost's earlier material. If people could recommend stuff in those styles here that would be great. Make sure to share some other kinds of metal that you happen to like. Maybe I'll like it too.
I really enjoy Paradise Lost.

Other music I enjoy:
King Woman (i've been a bit obsessed with her lately)
-Rotting Christ
-Archespire
-The Ocean
-Cult of Luna
-Konvent (amazing all female band)
-Lindemann/Rammstein
-3TEETH
-The Moth Gatherer
-IC3SPEAK
-Behemoth

I love metal, especially 80’s and 90’s industrial metal and Black Sabbath influenced metal of all sorts (Goth, doom, and stoner).

Bands you should indeed check out:

Type O Negative - Gothic doom metal influenced by Black Sabbath and The Beatles. RIP, Peter Steele, by the way.
I grew up on Type O Negative. I still find it enjoyable, but the over the top "romance" makes me laugh! :)

I would recommend Celtic Frost
I am obsessed with "A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh", but beyond that I can't say that the band really clicked with me. I'm not really sure why.

I do like some metal, because I’m a percussionist and the drum technique really appeals to me.
But lately I’ve gotten more into folk metal… or whatever the hell you wanna categorize this stuff as (according to YouTube and iTunes, it’s folk metal, don’t know how accurate that label is.)

Just a warning about Heilung: some of my friends found their music really disturbing and physically uncomfortable to listen to. If you don’t like it, you should shut it off pretty quickly. I won’t go into the whole thing about how their music has shamanic healing properties (I have found it to be very healing and that it kind of puts me in a trance… but I’m sure some of you don’t believe in that stuff so I won’t try to preach it.)

Heilung, Shireen, and Wardruna are the artists I’ve included here. Definitely not for everyone lol but I love all of them.

I absolutely love Wardruna and Heilung. We have similar tastes! Shireen is pretty nice too. Heilung's live shows are impressive, and I hope to go to one at some point in my lifetime![/QUOTE]

I really enjoy Paradise Lost.

Other music I enjoy:
King Woman (i've been a bit obsessed with her lately)
-Rotting Christ
-Archespire
-The Ocean
-Cult of Luna
-Konvent (amazing all female band)
-Lindemann/Rammstein
-3TEETH
-The Moth Gatherer
-IC3SPEAK
-Behemoth

I grew up on Type O Negative. I still find it enjoyable, but the over the top "romance" makes me laugh! :)

I am obsessed with "A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh", but beyond that I can't say that the band really clicked with me. I'm not really sure why.

I absolutely love Wardruna and Heilung. We have similar tastes! Shireen is pretty nice too. Heilung's live shows are impressive, and I hope to go to one at some point in my lifetime!
[/QUOTE]
I’m so happy to find another Heilung fan!!! We have a lot in common :)
I’m planning on going to their concert in Worcester Massachusetts in September!

I’m so happy to find another Heilung fan!!! We have a lot in common :)
I’m planning on going to their concert in Worcester Massachusetts in September!

Woah! I'm actually currently in Southern New England :O I had no idea that they would be in Worcester this year!

Woah! I'm actually currently in Southern New England :O I had no idea that they would be in Worcester this year!
Omg!!! :eek:
I have to check to make sure it didn’t get postponed because of Covid, but they’re supposed to be having a performance at the Palladium in September!
I’m in New England too!

D5774035-83BD-415F-83F4-137F5D3DBEEC.jpeg
666FDF9D-C8F5-4D06-BDF1-192B37A7E239.jpeg

Thank you for the info! I will have to talk to my partner about going! We may have moved further north by then, but we should still be within NE.

Back on topic:
Heilung is amazing, and I think it falls into a category of its own (definitely some metal elements in there though)
It would be cool if you guys could go too! :)
And yes, definitely their own category… but by far the coolest music I have ever heard!
It’s in another thread but I’ll have to show you the portrait I did of Maria!!

@Flown

I have two of Paradise Lost’s albums (Icon and Draconian Times) and both are really good! Do you have those two?

LOL, yup! Type O Negative’s “romance” is funny and honestly adds a certain charm to their music!

I was so looking forward to 3Teeth’s Metawar and it was honestly the most disappointing new disc released in 2019. Besides ‘Exxxit’ and ‘President X’, every other song would either start good and then become boring or were boring from the get go. I am just glad KMFDM’s Paradise saved the day later that year.

What do you think of PIG? I became a disciple of the Lord of Lard, Raymond Watts, after listening to this:

@Flown

I have two of Paradise Lost’s albums (Icon and Draconian Times) and both are really good! Do you have those two?

LOL, yup! Type O Negative’s “romance” is funny and honestly adds a certain charm to their music!

I was so looking forward to 3Teeth’s Metawar and it was honestly the most disappointing new disc released in 2019. Besides ‘Exxxit’ and ‘President X’, every other song would either start good and then become boring or were boring from the get go. I am just glad KMFDM’s Paradise saved the day later that year.

What do you think of PIG? I became a disciple of the Lord of Lard, Raymond Watts, after listening to this:

I totally agree with you about 3TEETH's recent album. My favorite album of theirs is Shutdown.exe. It is such a pleasant experience!

In terms of my favorite Paradise Lost album so far, I really love The Plague Within. I will have to relisten/listen to the two you listed to give you a fair opinion. My memory fails me right now. I cannot say that I have listened to PIG.

I totally agree with you about 3TEETH's recent album. My favorite album of theirs is Shutdown.exe. It is such a pleasant experience!

In terms of my favorite Paradise Lost album so far, I really love The Plague Within. I will have to relisten/listen to the two you listed to give you a fair opinion. My memory fails me right now. I cannot say that I have listened to PIG.

Shutdown.exe. is a good listen! ‘Atrophy’ is a retro 90’s industrial rock/metal banger! I still like their self-titled debut as well. I am skeptical of their currently in development fourth album after how Metawar was such a snore fest. The biggest faults of that album were the lame riffs (Besides ‘Exxxit’ and ‘President X’), Alexi’s vocals, and the reduced electronics. Most of the riffs were stock nu metal-sounding grooves that would hit walls, Alexi focused more on range rather than patterns (His true strength.), and the backgrounds felt empty since the electronics were hardly there.

I haven’t heard The Plague Within. It’s impossible acquiring albums by them in the cultural region I live in (Killeen–Temple–Fort Hood area of Central Texas) because people in it tend to not care for bands who aren’t played regularly on the radio. They prefer nu metal, hard rock, and groove metal like Korn, Godsmack, Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne, and Five Finger Death Punch. With the exceptions of Slipknot and Mudvayne, in my opinion, those bands have some listenable songs but whole albums by them are tedious to my tastes.

I linked the PIG song that made me a dedicated fan in my previous post. What do you think of it? My mother actually likes what she’s heard me listen to of PIG. Raymond Watts, the vocalist, was also a big influence on Trent Reznor of NIN and Marilyn Manson. He’s also been an intermittent member of KMFDM.

I linked the PIG song that made me a dedicated fan in my previous post. What do you think of it? My mother actually likes what she’s heard me listen to of PIG. Raymond Watts, the vocalist, was also a big influence on Trent Reznor of NIN and Marilyn Manson. He’s also been an intermittent member of KMFDM.

I LOVE the song you linked :O I may have to queue up some of these albums. I'm a fan of old Nine Inch Nails (grew up in the time of Broken/Pretty Hate Machine/The Downward Spiral). I was a huge fan as teen, but I don't listen to Marilyn Manson anymore due to his sordid (recent to somewhat recent) history. I just can't in good conscience listen to such a horrible person.

I LOVE the song you linked :O I may have to queue up some of these albums. I'm a fan of old Nine Inch Nails (grew up in the time of Broken/Pretty Hate Machine/The Downward Spiral). I was a huge fan as teen, but I don't listen to Marilyn Manson anymore due to his sordid (recent to somewhat recent) history. I just can't in good conscience listen to such a horrible person.

Do you have an account on Discogs? That’s where I have acquired most of my PIG collection from. Their latest original album, Pain is God, I pre-ordered from their bandcamp page and got a signed sticker in it. That album actually had to get a second pressing because the supply didn’t meet the demand so I had to wait quite a bit before I got the physical disc of it but it was SO worth it! I recommend Praise the Lard, the aforementioned Pain is God, Risen, and Sinsation the most if you can find them.

You can hear Raymond’s influence on the vocals for both Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson. In my opinion, Raymond’s vocals I like hearing more. Early NIN is indeed good. Trent even licensed PIG’s Sinsation for his Nothing Records label. He definitely knows the good stuff. Yeah, it’s a shame about Marilyn. I respected him for his intelligence and I liked how he schooled Bill O’Reilly, even telling Bill he respected him. John K. of Ren and Stimpy fame I can’t watch anything by him after what he did came out.

Should I make an industrial rock/metal thread?

I dislike metalcore and deathcore in general, but have never heard of those bands.

I used to binge listen to metalcore back in high school. I never got into deathcore, though. I instead gravitated towards “Brutal Death Metal” (Which in hindsight sounds redundant.) and deathgrind until my tastes changed once again.

New Threads

Top Bottom