• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone just have those days where they feel as if everything is overwhelming and irritating?

Jena

So I don't know why but some days I just get extremely overwhelm by sights, sounds, even people just standing in the same room as me is enough to irritate me. I only had a cookie today this morning at Starbucks, and am really hungry... but I don't want to snack on anything cause I am trying loose some weight. Like some days I am just happy and not irritated at all. But then some days I am shaky and every noise bothers me. My skin bothers me, my clothes suddenly feel wrong and irritating, and I can barely concentrate on words and sentences. I don't know if it's just me or does anyone else with Asperger's/Autism have this issue... where they feel more overwhelm by sound and such some days more then others. Like right now I am very irritated and shaky. Mabye I am still recovering from yesterday being at the zoo with so many noisy school kids screaming indoors at the top of their lungs or so forth. So was wondering does anyone else feel like this?

Yes, exactly as you described. Every little thing can sometimes irritate me, every single individual sound, people moving about or standing too close to me, my clothes, the weather (especially if I'm too hot). As you said, maybe you're still getting over having spent the previous day around noisy children. I know that that would certainly make me more prone to being irritated by everything. Sometimes though, I find there's no reason for it.

Normal day = oh this is okay
The switch =. Everything as above.

Sometimes when I'm tired the switch turns on,
Sometimes an event,
Then everything is annoying

I can get VERY cranky if I'm hungry. Being tired as well doubles the crankiness.
My mother's advice to a friend was "Don't let her get too hungry." XD

So I don't know why but some days I just get extremely overwhelm by sights, sounds, even people just standing in the same room as me is enough to irritate me. I only had a cookie today this morning at Starbucks, and am really hungry... but I don't want to snack on anything cause I am trying loose some weight. Like some days I am just happy and not irritated at all. But then some days I am shaky and every noise bothers me. My skin bothers me, my clothes suddenly feel wrong and irritating, and I can barely concentrate on words and sentences. I don't know if it's just me or does anyone else with Asperger's/Autism have this issue... where they feel more overwhelm by sound and such some days more then others. Like right now I am very irritated and shaky. Mabye I am still recovering from yesterday being at the zoo with so many noisy school kids screaming indoors at the top of their lungs or so forth. So was wondering does anyone else feel like this?
I am kind of having one of those days today so I can relate. It seems like every sound is amplified and I had to suffer a long bus ride with an annoying woman who yelled into her cell phone while her screaming kids were running up and down the aisle.

This is a good way of explaining it. Sound and every other sense is amplified.
It's honestly the best explanation I can come up with. I really had one of these days today because every medium to high pitched sound was hurting my ears terribly so I put on music, even at a low volume, and my ears were still bothering me. I was so exhausted that when I got home from all of my errands, I literally fell asleep ... just shutdown like a computer with a buffer overload.

Noises do not bother me at all...well except when people are talking to loud around me and get real annoying. I do not like distractions at all, one minute someone interrupts I tend to lose all concentration on something for a while, some people like to do it on purpose and I really hate it.
I may have one of these days where I don’t want anyone talking to me and I like to be alone listening to my music but those day do not happen often.

Also I’m not a morning person unless on some days I get up early feeling great which does happen. I also won’t eat breakfast on some mornings.

Last edited:
If your blood sugar is low or dropping
sounds and sensations will be more
irritating.

Having only a cookie for breakfast is a
classic way to insure that later in the day
your blood sugar will be low or
dropping.

I sure know how this feels. Today I went out because it was a warm sunny day, and there is a new thrift store that I wanted to check out. But it felt like I was the only person walking instead of driving a car, and everyone else wanted to run me over with theirs. Just cars, cars everywhere.:fearscream: I hate those steel two-ton coffins, why must they be such a necessary evil?:rage: I have such a bad time judging their speed and distance, possibly due to my Aspergers. There wasn't much at the new thrift store, but when I went into another nearby store, it felt like the aisles were only two feet wide and twelve feet high, and Now I was in danger of getting run over by shopping carts. Must be people who waited until the last second to buy Father's Day or graduation gifts.
I'm amazed at myself for not having a screaming conniption fit that whole time.:innocent:

I am kind of having one of those days today so I can relate. It seems like every sound is amplified and I had to suffer a long bus ride with an annoying woman who yelled into her cell phone while her screaming kids were running up and down the aisle.
oh my gosh that is annoying. Some people just have no manners for others around them. -_-. Yesterday at the zoo this women let her child bring a SQUEAKY TOY inside the zoo and the child was squeaking that toy like a dog would if you gave a dog a squeaky toy nonstop. Worst of all it was in the Reptile House at the zoo. So it was indoors and I was just ready to snatch that toy and throw it outside. I was starting to get so overwhelm there that being in the Reptile House was just sheer torture. Yet I wanted to see all the reptiles. But once I got out I felt like I can breath again and relax. Seriously who brings squeaky toys inside a zoo? Do people even realize animals have very sensitive hearing as well as some people... it's just like with the school children at the touch tank. They were screaming and first off I felt bad for the stingrays and second of all I couldn't even be in there for too long because again I was getting so overwhelm but stingray touch tank is one of my favirote parts of that zoo. Cause all the stingray love me lmao. (seriously they always come to me when I touch them like they know I am calm). Sorry for rambling, but seriously people need to respect others and not scream and yell in public.

oh my gosh that is annoying. Some people just have no manners for others around them. -_-. Yesterday at the zoo this women let her child bring a SQUEAKY TOY inside the zoo and the child was squeaking that toy like a dog would if you gave a dog a squeaky toy nonstop. Worst of all it was in the Reptile House at the zoo. So it was indoors and I was just ready to snatch that toy and throw it outside. I was starting to get so overwhelm there that being in the Reptile House was just sheer torture. Yet I wanted to see all the reptiles. But once I got out I felt like I can breath again and relax. Seriously who brings squeaky toys inside a zoo? Do people even realize animals have very sensitive hearing as well as some people... it's just like with the school children at the touch tank. They were screaming and first off I felt bad for the stingrays and second of all I couldn't even be in there for too long because again I was getting so overwhelm but stingray touch tank is one of my favirote parts of that zoo. Cause all the stingray love me lmao. (seriously they always come to me when I touch them like they know I am calm). Sorry for rambling, but seriously people need to respect others and not scream and yell in public.
I never knew that stingrays were generally gentle and docile. I didn't think they would be aggressive either but I tend to stay away from things that bite and sting ... LOL!

That’s the one thing I can’t stand is screaming kids. Sometimes I’ll be at a resturant with a friend and you’ll just see a kid jump up and down on the seat and the parent not watching. It gets on my nerves.
And squeaky toys, seriously!? Maybe the kid is thinking one of the animals might play fetch or something lol.

I never knew that stingrays were generally gentle and docile. I didn't think they would be aggressive either but I tend to stay away from things that bite and sting ... LOL!

Actually sting rays can get very tame and will come for regular feedings at dive sites. I've held one and been so surrounded by them I was afraid to take a step for fear I'd step on one and they would automatically sting me but it didn't happen. Swimming in shallow water over them is likely how Steve Irwin got stung- a most unfortunate happening!!!

Yes. I can experience times when many things seem like too much all at once.

Yesterday I was trying to write very short texts in reply to two people.

Two conversations at once.
It reminded me why I don’t use my phone.

Why do people send two or three short messages all about different subjects when those wavy dots indicate I’m constructing a response to the very first text they sent.
What’s that all about?!

oh yup! Stingrays can be really tame and gentle. A lot of stingrays will try and swim away from you too in the ocean, cause I snorkled in the ocean and stingrays saw me and they fled. But once they get handled, they can be tamed. Also stingrays physically have no teeth so they cannot bite even if they wanted to lmao.

Ba

You lack of food except a highly caloric fat and sugar laden cookie is exactly what can make a person shakey, irritable, and lose concentration. If you want to lose weight, eat natural things like an apple with some cheese (protein) , or some nuts , or carrots and broccoli. You could eat several tiny meals all day and lose weight AND keep your sanity. I lost 50 lb in 9 months!

Ba

You lack of food except a highly caloric fat and sugar laden cookie is exactly what can make a person shakey, irritable, and lose concentration. If you want to lose weight, eat natural things like an apple with some cheese (protein) , or some nuts , or carrots and broccoli. You could eat several tiny meals all day and lose weight AND keep your sanity. I lost 50 lb in 9 months!

good for you! but I so do not need to loose that much weight or I would be underweight lmao. I weighed 143 now I weigh 138 and trying to get to around 125. But yeah I just tend to forget to eat a lot also Apple and cheese sound good though I do not like broccoli it's a sensitive taste issue I have. but even after I ate my dinner I felt kind of tipsy like falling over a lot it's weird and I had a headache. But probally cause of my diet I just am so picky there is only so much I'll eat. Thankfully I do love fruit though.

New Threads

Top Bottom