• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody plant spring bulbs?

TBRS1

Transparent turnip
Since I've harvested the last of the garden (onions and potatoes were the last to go), I've started planting bulbs - strictly as an excuse to have dirty hands, of course ( :) ).

Yesterday, I planted a small selection of bearded iris bulbs (12), and, since tulips are cheap and easily available at The Big Store, I planted about 100 tulips - mostly in shades of red, orange, and white.

Waiting to see them pop up in the early spring is like an adult version of waiting for Christmas day.

Someday people are going to wonder how this forest clearing got filled with flowers...

Not in Florida.
When I lived in Missouri, yes. All types.
Loved seeing those flowers in the spring.

Yes, I plant flower bulbs every fall. I need to get started on that project very soon. Daffodils, iris, lilies, amaryllis and others.

I've had a garlic bed in the same location for decades which I never replant. I just leave the small bulbs that have formed over the past year in place when I harvest the big bulbs.

@SusanLR - the soil in Florida is so sandy that bulbs are often better grown in pots filled with soil.

Yes, I plant flower bulbs every fall. I need to get started on that project very soon. Daffodils, iris, lilies, amaryllis and others.

I've had a garlic bed in the same location for decades which I never replant. I just leave the small bulbs that have formed over the past year in place when I harvest the big bulbs.

@SusanLR - the soil in Florida is so sandy that bulbs are often better grown in pots filled with soil.
Used to be that I could only plant daffodils, because the deer eat everything else.

Currently, between the neighbor's dogs and my dogs walking around and depositing carnivore smell everywhere, I can safely plant more - like tulips.

I'm a wildwoman. I know most people dig up their bulbs and cold store them over the winter. But I just leave them in the ground where I first planted them. Survival of the fittest. It's nice to know that every place I have lived, there are little patches of grape hyacinth that I hope the new residents enjoy.

Last week I planted my next year's garlic. I enjoy German Red, hardneck garlic.
I planted my last bulbs of the season - garlic.

I didn't have a particular variety in mind, but for my climate, I need hard neck. I saw in the catalog that German Red is hard neck, so I figured I'd give it a shot :) .

I planted my last bulbs of the season - garlic.

I didn't have a particular variety in mind, but for my climate, I need hard neck. I saw in the catalog that German Red is hard neck, so I figured I'd give it a shot :) .
You will not regret it. A nice spicy variety that produces huge bulbs.

I have done in the past, considering it here in the next couple of weeks, but it will involve building wire cages for each, as the squirrels in my area are absolutely relentless.

Yes - dwarf daffodil, tulip and iris.

Squirrels and foxes a problem here too. A flat disc of plastic netting on top stops them digging.

Mostly planted in containers.

Yes - dwarf daffodil, tulip and iris.

Squirrels and foxes a problem here too. A flat disc of plastic netting on top stops them digging.

Mostly planted in containers.
I wish that would work with mine...metal mesh is the only deterrent that I have had work, unfortunately.

New Threads

Top Bottom