• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Documentary Thread

Maybe he loved bridge because he had a good bridge face? I'm not sure if that's a thing. :) But anyway, he certainly was talented. There is a scene in Steamboat Bill Jr. where he accidentally walks into a rope that goes upwards at an angle and then he manages to slide up the rope, it's a very short scene but it really cracks me up.
I love that one! I love when he tries to smuggle the loaf of bread with tools hidden inside of it to his dad who’s in jail and then tries to make a run for it when the warden catches him. Haha! He was so funny.

Recently I've been watching different documentaries and docuseries on cults, some of which I didn't know exist as they're in other countries or they're historical. Each one slowly chipping away my confidence in human intelligence. Most of them are the typical religious ones that center around a self-proclaimed savior or a particular religious ideology but I just watched one called Escaping Twin Flames and for some reason this raised my brow higher than most, as this doesn't center around religion but finding your "soulmate".

It was started in 2017 and completely online, with a very young couple who claimed they could help you find your "twin flame". Just had to pay for classes and coaching sessions which were 100% online. I believe they've only ever had 3 or so in-person meetings. They were able to convince others without any proof or any actual outside success that they were legit. Again all done online through video conferences and online marketing scams. They also used a mix of religion (the Divine purpose) and New Age (some Hindu influence which was offensive) to seal their message. They somehow convinced followers on social media that they were the ONLY ones who could tell others who their "twin flames" were even if they didn't feel anything towards that person. They convinced followers to pursue their twin flames even if it meant landing themselves in jail for stalking. Also cutting off contact with their family convincing them that they were being abused even though they never were and many of which had wholesome family upbringings.

What's even more disturbing is that, once they realized some were leaving the group, they started convincing current members that their partners only existed within their organization, and because they didn't believe in homosexuality, convinced certain members that they needed a sex change so they could represent the divine masculine and feminine, even if they didn't identify or feel like their assigned gender.

So most cults are led by talented, charismatic, and convincing orators, who know how to speak well. But this couple is anything but.. it's very shocking how many people they've convinced especially without any real proof (just sitting in front of a camera and talking). They talk like teenagers, very willy-nilly, not very concise (a lot of "ums" and "yeas" and "likes"), lots of cussing and mocking voices and openly bragging how much money and fame they have (they don't pay their employees) and using their wealth to convince others that they're legit. During their lessons you can tell, very obviously, they are just making things up as they go, sometimes looking at each other for back up (even fighting and insulting each other openly), sometimes even contradicting themselves within seconds. It's baffling how anyone cannot see past this sham especially in at this age of technological advancement and knowledge of online scams.

It made me think about how desperation for something: to belong to a group, to fulfill your emptiness, to find romance, etc, how it somehow trumps all cognitive ability and reason. How emotions of someone who is so unsure of themselves can easily be manipulated by others. And how I wish more could just be secure with themselves and stop looking to others to fill in their gaps. I'm not one to be pigeonholed so maybe I can never understand but I'd rather be alone than lose myself to belong somewhere.

Last edited:
Supervolcano (2005) - a Documentary-Drama TV film, made by the BBC and split in two parts, with the docudrama using the then available facts and speculation to depict a fictionalized version of a possible future eruption of the "Supervolcano" (Yellowstone Caldera) underneath Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, USA.

To quote the docudrama's opening tagline, "This is a true story. It just hasn't happened yet"

Last edited:
Thought I'd start a thread for all the documentary and docu-series hounds.

What's one you watched recently?

Do you have any favorites that you'd recommend?

Were there any particular ones that changed the way you thought or inspired you? Or disturbing ones?

Do you prefer specific genres or subjects?

Post about it here...
I like some documentaries.

I like some, I watch some...sometimes during the day you can turn a random one on. I watched one about the Australian ballet recently and one about ice creams in Australia.
I watch others sometimes about art, sometimes about something historic like pompaii the volcano. I watched one about Marilyn Monroe once with my mum.
I watch them and sometimes enjoy them.

I just found an interesting docuseries on Netflix, The Toys That Made Us.
I liked the two episodes about the mainstays of my collection,
Barbie
full
& GI Joe
full
although they ignored my preferred line of Joes, The Classic Collection.

I know this might be a bit off topic, but I like watching the “Making of” videos of a lot of horror films just because they often show in detail how they construct the grisly special effects. That fascinates the nerd in me.

Life After People

A TV series from 2009-2010, which followed on from a longer pilot episode and explained about how the world would change in the short/long term if every human on the planet suddenly vanished - beginning from as little as an hour after our disappearance to thousands of years into the future (if not millions of years). Additionally, some of the episodes contained real life examples of what has happened when nature has been left to reclaim the places that humans have abandoned for one reason or another.

Here's one of the episodes from Series One - "Roads to Nowhere":

Dropping in to mention two true crime docs about stalkers I recently watched back-to-back that actually had mentions of ASD.

One was "Can I Tell You a Secret?", about an online stalker in England who started stalking random female social media influencer-types. He even went as far as to stalking their families, friends, and even the friends' families. He knew everyone's names, where they worked, social life details etc. Once the police tracked him down and searched his home, they only found an empty room with a laptop and phone, nothing to indicate how he was keeping track of details of so many individuals. I started to wonder if he was on the spectrum and sure enough he was. You eventually find that he was a social outcast in school and didn't have many friends and grew bitter about it, thus started online stalking. What's sadder is that during his trial, his defense used his autism as an excuse for his crimes, explaining he didn't know what he was doing.

On the flip side, the second documentary "Lover, Stalker, Killer" is about a female stalker who preys upon a divorced man who tries online-dating. The things she does is scary and unhinged to torment the man and his family. One of the detectives assigned to his case is trying to locate the stalker who uses different IP addresses, emails and phones and he immediately introduces himself as on the spectrum, holding up a bottle of soylent saying that and hummus is all he consumes, as well as saying his ASD has been helpful in his line of work. He ends up writing a program that is able to sort through all the data to locate the stalker. During the trial, the detectives are increasingly working hard to make sure they have enough evidence to convict, sometimes sacrificing their personal lives to work day and night. This detective finds out that he has a brain tumor that has grown during the case and must be removed. When he finds out that the removal will interfere with his ability to work on the case, he refuses and postpones it on order to keep working to bring the stalker to justice.

I don't normally see ASD mentioned in true crime so it was interesting to see two different sides back to back.

New Threads

Top Bottom