• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do your parents understand and accept your autism?

Do your parents understand and accept your autism?

• they accept and understand it

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • they accept it but do not understand it

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • they don’t accept or understand it

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • i am unsure/do not know

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • other

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Wow so many no accept no understand :( glad it's not just me but damn, what are we going to do all?

When I explained to my mom what aspergers is we pretty much came to the conclusion that both her and her mom were on the spectrum. My dad is accepting I guess. My stepmom is the psychologist type and fully understood, almost like she already knew. Me and my dad are not real close so we don't talk about deep stuff. It's like there is a barrier between us for some reason.

My mother doesn't understand it, accept it, nor is willing to do so.

She doesn't care nor is willing to consider how much it upsets me that when she changes anything.

Both my parents accepted my diagnosis from the start, as far as I can remember - it was their idea to have me assessed, I was only in fourth grade. My mom has always tried to be very understanding about it, but for quite some time my dad thought it just meant that I'm smart and quiet. Whenever I didn't meet his expectations of me, he'd yell at me about how I was clearly lazy, not trying hard enough, and/or didn't care, when in actuality I was trying my hardest. But eventually I managed to explain things enough to get through to him, and now he too tries to be understanding.

Whenever I didn't meet his expectations of me, he'd yell at me about how I was clearly lazy, not trying hard enough, and/or didn't care, when in actuality I was trying my hardest.

I have also experienced this. I am glad it has gotten better for you!

Growing up, my mother, I and everyone else attributed my quirkiness to being gifted. When I got diagnosed at 45, she thought that it meant that I was broken somehow. I have tried to explain the concept of neuro-diversity, but she can't quite grasp it.

I think my mom (& my wife) might be ADD. My wife has considered that possibility, but my mom thinks that I am calling her broken.

My mother doesn't mind me being autistic. She just doesn't understand my sensory issues and wishes I didn't have the sensory problems to begin with, and I Agree with her. The sensitive hearing severely disabled my ability to interact in the world, and I must wear earbuds playing noise-blocking music to NOT be tortured to the point of complete agony. I end up spraying too much air freshener (that other people are sensitive to), and my room is FULL of them. I can't even walk in shoes because the feeling is unbearable, especially if I'm stepping on something. It feels more bearble if km walking in something barefoot (it's weird, I know. My mother can't understand that, either.. DX)

New Threads

Top Bottom