• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you walk fast?

On the Inside

I have always walked fast, faster than almost anyone when walking on the sidewalks. I know it's because I like to get places quickly when I'm under my own power ( I ride my bike fast, too, but am a careful, slow driver). Sometimes I just like to get ahead and stay ahead of those in front of me. Sometimes it's a product of my impatience. I work downtown, so I get lots of practice.

Anyone else have odd walking habits?

Hah yes, I frequently go shopping with my mom and despite her being 4 inches taller than me always complains that her (longer) legs can't keep up. Occasionally people will tell me I have an odd gait, like if I'm not swinging my arms much or if I'm walking with my feet pointed too far out. I don't know why but sometimes that just feels like the more natural way to move.

As a kid I walked in a "stilted" fashion of sorts. Enough to eventually draw hurtful ridicule.
It was also a trait I discovered to be indicative of ASD as a sign of physical clumsiness. :eek:

As a very young child I used to walk fast usually with my hands in my pockets. Where one of my father's friends gave me a nickname for it. He thought I walked and looked seriously just like a judge. ;)

Last edited:
I had an art professor, who was teaching the life drawing class. He had everyone in the class walk down the hall and back as the rest of us watched. After I did the walk, he said I had such a perfect gait, and looked at the soles of my shoes to see how evenly they were worn. I do have very symmetric wear patterns. I am extremely conscious of my movement. I guess it is an intense interest.

One poor girl could barely keep in a straight line.

Yes I'm 6' 3" with very long legs. I also always try to predict people walking patterns to find the fastest way to pass them.

I don't like walking right behind people, and I don't like people walking right behind me, so I speed up when someone is close. Never saw the point of swinging my arms.

Only long enough for a gap to form. Drafting is only an advantage at higher speeds, unless there's a strong headwind. Besides, someone might pass gas.

Yep, I do walk fast. My husband always tells me that I have to learn to walk slower, but it seems I just cannot. I have to slow myself down when I'm with other people, and it's just a torture!
I really enjoy walking fast and sometimes I get so caught up with the process of surpassing other walkers in the best way that I forget what my goal was and can miss my stop! :D

I learned to walk swinging my arms because I got really annoyed by people's comments about my strange gait, but I always have to pay attention and sometimes I get distracted and swing them in a wrong order, hehe.

I really notice the speed difference at work. We have an odd, cluttered layout, with narrow corridors, blind corners, and lots of equipment, materials and projects strewn about. I'll get behind someone, with no way to pass and be amazed at how slow some people are.

When I get stuck behind slowly walking people without possibility to pass I can even start panicking and feeling suffocated somehow... Awful, awful feeling! When outside, I just change route even if it means longer way. When inside, well, I would be forced to do something I hate doing -to ask people to let me pass. :eek:

If I know what I'm doing and where I'm going, yes. I also get really annoyed at everyone else, because they walk really slowly like they have all the time in the world, and right in front of me too, and they keep moving from side to side so it's hard to pass them. Just one reason I hate crowds. If I'm with my family in a crowd, it's hard to stay with them because people get between us and stay there, walking really slowly while preventing me from getting around them. I swear they do it on purpose. /rant

I keep a relative high pace when walking... if I'm going somewhere I don't even know why I should walk slow. Besides; I can think a dozen of things to do back home.

I remember my ex-girlfriend sometimes ended up running to keep up with me, which probably indicates I have a certain pace while I'm on the move. Of course, she often asked me to slow down at which I told her to either keep up, or not even join me at all the next time.

Predicting peoples movement is usually what I do as well and I'm quite sure the only times I actually bumped into someone is when someone made some erratic motion. I usually even use windows and other reflective surfaces when going around corners for similar purposes to not slow down and prevent any collisions with other people.

I usually even use windows and other reflective surfaces when going around corners for similar purposes to not slow down and prevent any collisions with other people.

Here was I thinking this was my superhero power, now I know there's more than one of us!

I walk sedately but deliberately, vectoring everyone around me to keep them away from my little bubble in the universe.

Predicting peoples movement is usually what I do as well and I'm quite sure the only times I actually bumped into someone is when someone made some erratic motion. I usually even use windows and other reflective surfaces when going around corners for similar purposes to not slow down and prevent any collisions with other people.

Reflections and shadows are helpful. I've learned to watch shadows on the floor when walking around corners at work to avoid collisions, otherwise there'd be carnage.

That... is way too organized for me, lol. I'm like that unguided projectile going through a crowd avoiding collision

New Threads

Top Bottom