• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you view Asperger's as being a disability?

For many Aspies I'm certain life is just a series of alien social and societal compromises.

It's do it the NT way or the highway. It's all in the numbers. We're overwhelmingly outnumbered. Where the only place we can be ourselves is behind closed doors in the safety and privacy of our own homes. Where there may not be any expectations or demands of others for us to be who and what we are not.

I know I'm stubborn as a mule and it takes a lot of persuading to get me to compromise, especially when it comes to shaking my routine. Makes for some challenges in my marriage, to say the least.

I know I'm stubborn as a mule and it takes a lot of persuading to get me to compromise, especially when it comes to shaking my routine. Makes for some challenges in my marriage, to say the least.

Understood. Hell....I'm at war with myself whenever I attempt to deliberately alter my routines. And OCD rituals...don't even go there. :eek:

And of course, any time I'm conforming to NT standards it's all for appearance sake. An exhaustive process of going along to get by with the fewest bumps, bruises or beatings. I suppose those of us who can do this on a limited basis are not "disabled". But those who really can't....well perhaps then the terms applies.

Disability or not it's a constant struggle.

Last edited:
Giving in on what? Going out to socialize, what food to eat, time to yourself? What do you wish the other person would have given or done for you?

When you are continuously questioned about your little quirks, yes you do want a quiet life. Also I need a lot of personal space and time to myself but this is not compmatible within a relationship with an NT so you compromise to fit into their way more. Judge on here described it better than I did.

I don't think that I'm disabled, just differently abled. You get people who a good at writing poetry and who are not so good at maths, or people who can play tennis well but not chess - in my case, I just happen to be good at learning languages, I have keen senses and a good memory, but I don't have good social and organizational skills. I'm only disabled when others make demands on me or expect certain standards and I can't meet those demands or standards. Then, in their eyes, I am disabled. Disability is in the eye of the beholder.

I have been diagnosed with AS and I an not disabled. I may do some things a little differently, but I still do what I need to do.

My view is that it depends. What we call Aspergers is really a long stretch on the spectrum that varies itself from light to severe. People with severe cases can be disabled in different ways because of it. They might for instance never be able to drive a car. But Aspergers is also associated mostly with HFA which in many cases is not a disability per se. But it is usually accompanied by types of difficulties and struggles in life that NTs do not for the most part have. They are however also the sort that can often be overcome or adapted. Really practically everyone NT or AS has struggles or difficulties in life, and a part of our human nature is the ability to deal with these things and find solutions. But I think an Aspie, or anyone on the spectrum will likely have more obstacles and difficulties right out of the box.

xp.png.php

to me its part of my personality ok so what if I am a really fussy eater or I get obsessed or I cant tie my shoe laces with topics that I grow up with every ones different. if Asperger's was a disability and its genetic wouldn't it of died out thousands of years ago?

and this is coming from someone born in late 1999

New Threads

Top Bottom