• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to seek out older shows that were before your time?

My current main interest is Sherlock Holmes.
The history of adapting the original canon stories in form of movies or film series began about 1900 and a lot of movies, film series and TV shows were produced in the meantime before I was born.
I have watched some of the older adaptions by now and enjoyed them. There is still much more for me to discover though and I am looking forward to watching them.

I watched some other TV shows that came out before I was born too.
Also, there are some shows that started before I was born, but are still (or again) continued, for example Doctor Who, who was mentioned by @Streetwise.
I haven't seen the older Doctor Who episodes from the classic era, but watched older episodes of some other TV shows that are still ongoing.

Shows from the late 70s to the early 90s are my favorite. It was a different time back then.

I was around so I watched a lot of these shows. Had I been a child of the 90s, I'd be wanting to go back before my time too.

I like to see the shows (and movies) exactly how they were. Which is the blurry brownish picture quality, stretched and distorted sound quality. These shows on DVD remastered in HD just screw with my head. They're too fluid and real. I want to be watching a TV show or film, I don't want it to feel like it's happening in my living room.

I don't go out of my way to do so but I think I tend to want to watch older animated programmes, like ones from Japan, that I haven't seen so I can compare with animated shows I did see at the time. I also try to check out stuff recommended to me by pals, sometimes even if I didn't think much of the show when I first tried watching it.

I used to watch repeats of the original Thunderbirds from the 60's when they were shown ob BBC 2 a long time ago, much better than almost anything on now, the new CGI version isn't bad, but it's not a patch on the old Puppet version, my 10 year old nephew likes the new version anyway.

Same with Captain Scarlet, that CGI reboot they did a few years back sucked compared to the original series, which I have all the episodes of on DVD.

Apparently they're doing a new He Man movie next year, I hope it turns out to be good, apparently it's going to be closer to the source material than that Dolph Lundgren movie that came out 31 years ago back in '87 which starred Phoebe from Friends and Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager.

I used to watch repeats of the original Thunderbirds from the 60's when they were shown ob BBC 2 a long time ago, much better than almost anything on now, the new CGI version isn't bad, but it's not a patch on the old Puppet version, my 10 year old nephew likes the new version anyway.

Same with Captain Scarlet, that CGI reboot they did a few years back sucked compared to the original series, which I have all the episodes of on DVD.

Apparently they're doing a new He Man movie next year, I hope it turns out to be good, apparently it's going to be closer to the source material than that Dolph Lundgren movie that came out 31 years ago back in '87 which starred Phoebe from Friends and Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager.

Yeah, I used to watch the old Thunderbirds show on BBC 2 when I was a kid; barely had a clue what was going on but the machines were awesome.
Also, I don't think the new version is too bad; it's certainly miles ahead of the 2004 movie adaptation - that was just plain awful. The only parts of that which I liked was the details on Tracy Island and the Thunderbird machines, and the oil rig rescue at the beginning as it was the only thing that felt close to what you'd expect a Thunderbirds movie to be like - especially seeing TB1 and TB2 appear with the original show's theme:

Never saw the Captain Scarlett reboot as I wasn't that interested in seeing it, so I'll take your word for it. The only thing I do know is that they gave the rebooted version of the show a legitimate ending rather than leaving it unresolved like the original series.

Everyone can agree that the original He-Man movie sucked and everyone makes fun of it. I do have hopes for this reboot, mind you. If they can pull off a movie that is faithful to the source material of this fantasy/sci-fi series and is entertaining in a good way, I'll be satisfied. If it works and they make sequels (including a possible She-Ra film), then I say all power to them.
If Thor: Ragnarok can do it, why not He-Man?

If they made a She Ra movie, live action, I doubt it would be any good, because today's kids wouldn't know the source material of the early to mid 80's, plus who would do the role justice as an actor? Dwayne Johnson as He Man? No, just, no, he already ruined Gi Joe, I don't want him ruining He Man.

If they made a She Ra movie, live action, I doubt it would be any good, because today's kids wouldn't know the source material of the early to mid 80's, plus who would do the role justice as an actor? Dwayne Johnson as He Man? No, just, no, he already ruined Gi Joe, I don't want him ruining He Man.

Well I think a lot of kids today didn't know the source material of a lot of the Marvel characters, yet the MCU has been a success for the majority of its films with a lot of kids getting sucked into the story. If a movie works, whose to say they can't fill in the gaps with a live action TV series to accompany it?
As for who would do the role justice, I can think of a few possibilities: The first been Chris Hemsworth (although depending on his role in the future Marvel movies he may not be available - that and he might not want to be cast in another movie where he plays a muscle-bound blond guy who uses a magical weapon), the second possibility is Alexander Skarsgard - who Hemsworth actually beat into taking on the role of Thor for the Marvel movies, the third been Charlie Hunnam and the fourth been Kellan Lutz.
Who do you think could play the role?

Last edited:

When my daughter was little, there was some preschool show that had a segment that totally ripped off the theme for the Wayne's World SNL skit. The kids would have no idea, I supposed you've gotta keep the parents entertained somehow.

I would often show my daughter a bunch of this old stuff I used to watch, she loved it. I showed her the SNL skit about living in a van down by the river. Later that year, her teacher went on a tirade about how today's kids need to "suck it up", "boo-freaking-hoo", and "I don't want to be visiting you in your van down by the river". After I picked her up she couldn't stop laughing, she said she was one of the only kids in the class who knew what he was talking about.

New Threads

Top Bottom