• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think I have Aspergers?

anxiety247

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. It was only about a week ago that I learned about Aspergers when someone I know (but never really talked to) came out about having it on social media.

When they described it, I felt like they were describing my life. I always felt like I was different from others, but I didn't know there was an actual term for it.

Because I've never known about it and have a lot of social anxiety, I haven't talked to anyone I know about it yet and don't know when I'll be ready to bring it up. I know that I would need an official diagnosis from my doctor, but I would like to know the opinions from others and whether you may think I have a good possibility that I have Aspergers. I guess I'm afraid to bring it up to others because if I end up not having it, then I don't know how I would explain to others the way I feel without fear of them brushing me off and saying I'm spending too much time online.

Basically this is how my life goes:

I've had social anxiety since I can remember. I've always been told I was shy when I was younger and still am told that. But there have always been times where people have asked me something and I couldn't respond, or I am unable to think of the words to say. It happened when I was younger and it still happens as an adult. I speak in monotone most of the time. It's difficult to keep eye contact when talking but in the past I've forced it and it always just ended up awkward.

I used to have a few friends in school but now I barely talk to anyone because I need someone with me wherever I go. I am too nervous to drive a car. I'm always stiff and I have very slow reactions so I'm afraid I won't be able to react in time on the road or cause an accident myself.

I've always struggled in school, except for anything related to math. I've always been better at math than anyone I know with little effort. Online classes have always been the easiest for me, as I can do them at my own pace. I also love tedious tasks that allow me to do the same patterns over and over. I get VERY addicted to video games that let me collect and complete achievements.

There is always an obsession with something. Each time it would last quite a few years and every time I am around someone I would bring it up because I really want to talk about it. I have been bullied for it and have made people hate the thing because of it (also probably made people not want to talk to me too). Also like to eat the same foods every day once I start to like something new. My boyfriend would say "she's on this waffle kick now" where I am constantly wanting to just eat waffles.

I get really strong feelings for everything, but it's difficult for me to show emotion. I went on my dream vacation this year and I was so happy, but my family asked me why I wasn't jumping up and down and smiling. I felt the emotions but I just wasn't showing it.

I try to avoid crowded places because it gives me a lot more anxiety. I even try to change plans when going out to eat if we know it's going to be busy.

My job makes me life easier, as I am able to work from home and if there is anyone that I would feel the most comfortable talking about this stuff, it's the people I work with. My parents usually complain about me working in a dark room also.

Anyway, that's my life. If I don't have Aspergers, then what the heck could it be? I feel a whole lot better talking about this here and finally letting someone out there know. If I could better understand it, it would be a huge relief.

Edit: I'm a huge night owl and always work at night because there is much less going on. All of my energy is at night and I am drained all day long.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

There's some online tests you can take, though do note that they're no substitute for a diagnosis by a medical professional.

Aspie Tests < Online Tests

A lot of people here, myself included, are content with being Self Diagnosed somewhere on the Spectrum.

Hello and welcome! I felt a similar sense of relief when I posted my own introduction here, as previously I'd only mentioned anything about autism to two of my friends online. I hope this forum helps you find the understanding you're looking for.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

There's some online tests you can take, though do note that they're no substitute for a diagnosis by a medical professional.

Aspie Tests < Online Tests

A lot of people here, myself included, are content with being Self Diagnosed somewhere on the Spectrum.

Thank you for the link! I took the quiz and my results said I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie) with 156 of 200 and then 58 of 200 for neurotypical.

I guess that along with my gut feeling tells me that I most likely Aspie.

Hello and welcome! I felt a similar sense of relief when I posted my own introduction here, as previously I'd only mentioned anything about autism to two of my friends online. I hope this forum helps you find the understanding you're looking for.

I tried sending a message to the person who came out about being Aspie the other day, but it hasn't shown that she's looked at it though she's been online. I feel like I'm being ignored, is it an aspie thing? We went to school together but rarely ever spoken to each other. I think maybe the last time I did, I was a little annoying but I could be overthinking.

I tried sending a message to the person who came out about being Aspie the other day, but it hasn't shown that she's looked at it though she's been online. I feel like I'm being ignored, is it an aspie thing? We went to school together but rarely ever spoken to each other. I think maybe the last time I did, I was a little annoying but I could be overthinking.
It's possible she's been busy. Especially if I know a message is going to require a lot of thought, I'll wait to reply until I can sit down and dedicate enough time to it. Both of the people I messaged, I don't know in real life so that made it slightly easier for me, I think.

It's possible she's been busy. Especially if I know a message is going to require a lot of thought, I'll wait to reply until I can sit down and dedicate enough time to it. Both of the people I messaged, I don't know in real life so that made it slightly easier for me, I think.

Thanks for letting me know. It's just happened to me a lot before though. Especially this year I've tried talking to two people and they completely stopped responding to me. I never did anything mean to them, I may have just been really annoying talking about something I was excited about or my obsessions.

I guess it's a relief knowing that it was probably because of the Aspie but I still don't know if explaining that to them will make them want to talk to me. I just have a difficult time trying to find people who like the same things I do and meeting new people.

Welcome! I'd say 'Yes' it does sound like you belong here. I havent been dealing with this knowledge for long myself. Kinda freaked me out at first, but also explained so much throughout my life. It all makes
sense now!
So If your not sure, hanging out on the forums and reading everyone experiences will either take away any remaining doubts (like it did for me), or it will introduce more doubts.

Hi and welcome! Yes sounds likely you are on the spectrum from what you have said. I find it has helped to know, and sometimes I can decide how I ll come over to others, to be better accepted, although not always! There's plenty to read here, and people who know what this is like to chat to, hope you enjoy it here, and learn useful information ideas and strategies.

:hibiscus: :mapleleaf: :cherryblossom: :rose: :sunflower: :tulip: :bee:

Sounds like you are most likely. And the quiz score is very high.
I haven't known about it very long either.
Got an official diagnosis about 3 yrs. ago.
Reading about it and the experiences others have here was like reading my life.
Explained a lot.

Welcome! I think you'll like it here. :D

Hi there.

In truth, it sure does sound like you have aspergers, from your wonderfully detailed discription. I was also avidly agreeing and even looking at the screen with eyes wide open, with your explaination about social anxiety. For me too, it has been since a child. I think I first came fully aware of it, when I was about 8 and tried to run away, due to the awful experiences at "home" and ended up being so frightened of the "world" and where on earth could I go? That I dragged myself back to the "home" and had to endure mockery.

There is a saying here: you meet one aspie.... you meet one aspie.

I do not have a montoned voice, nor an expressionless face and I show my joy; in fact for a female who is 49, it seems to give men a bit of amusement, for I react like a child, say when I get something delivered.

I sense that a formal diagnosis would be a good starting point for you, because like me, you have this sense that you need to know.

I was formally diganosed with grade 2 to 3 on the spectrum, just this year and I feel that with what you have typed, it won't be too long, before you receive your diagnosis.

It is true, that we cannot diagnose, but really, who are the ones doing the diagnosis? Is it not neurotypicals and they have such a sterotypical idea, whereas we, get so into it all, we can easy diagnose, but this world is not dominated by us and thus, labels do seem to be the thing.

You will find that once you get your diagnosis, that it is so much easy to tell people. Lol my husband was asked: has she been formally diagnosed yet, though? He nodded his head in pride and said: yes, she has been formally diagnosed as an aspie!

Ah, another customer!

crystal_ball.jpg

No need to read all that stuff. Msyterio... I mean Mysterio! The ALL seeing knows (or actually shortly will know after payment in advance) the answers to everything... give or take.

Price d' liste

Yes - 1 Dozen Donuts
No - 1 Box Donut holes
Possibly - 3 Glazed Donuts
Extra Possibly - 2 Boston Cream Donuts

(It does sound like it may be HFA. Quite a few of us here are self diagnosed only, and a few unsure. It can take a while to be sure thru professional diagnosis or self investigation. Interacting with other Aspies can be helpful in that process, so feel welcome to the forum. Oh, and don't tell Msy... I mean Mysterio whatever you do. He'd be very mad at me for damaging his donut flow.)

;)

welcome to the forums!
People not responding to messages, emails, voice mails....i try not to take it personal...remember...life/the world isn't well organized.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes :) I'm already feeling better knowing that I have a place here I can come to where I can talk to others who go through the same thing.

Welcome to Autismforums.com. I hope your time here is revealing and insightful. Remember “...the star belly sneeches have bellies with stars. The plain belly sneeches had none upon thars”. Great opening post and again welcome.

New Threads

Top Bottom