• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk with yourself outloud?

Do you talk with yourself outloud?

• Yes , a lot

• No, never

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I'm tired or overwhelmed and people are far enough away so that they can't hear exactly what I'm saying I will 'coach' myself through a complicated task by saying the different smaller tasks out loud. If there's people around I'll do it in my head.

I do however talk to inanimate objects, for instance my laptop when it doesn't do what I want. Or if something falls.. Basically if anything goes wrong I blame the object. ;)

Yes, I do it too. Usually when I'm alone. Sometimes if I'm in public I mutter to myself.

Only if I'm alone or if I know nobody is going to hear me. It'll almost always be in a language other than English, so even if someone did hear me, they won't know what I'm saying.

During stressfull situations and physical activities I just cant help It. To know what I have to do, when I suddenly think about something not related, etc...

For instance when I was learning to drive I was talking non stop and it annoyed my instructors.

When I dont have music in mind or do something to occupy my mind I am always thinking in my head but rarely externalize it.
Unless few moments in my life when the thinking process leads meto have huge contradicting ideas I let few words out sometimes.

Only if I'm alone or if I know nobody is going to hear me. It'll almost always be in a language other than English, so even if someone did hear me, they won't know what I'm saying.
Reminds me of a patient I had. An elderly lady. I walked into her room and she looked irritated and started rattling off something in German. When she stopped I said, "I have no idea what you just said." She laughed and said, neither did she, but she hoped it was nice. lol

Yeah I do, sometimes when I'm just in the bathroom I'll be having this internal dialogue going and continue talking, sometimes when I'm out or going for a walk at lunchtime at work I'll have a little conversation with myself. It's normal to me :) (probably not 'normal' to others but who gives a rats)

I talk to myself ALL the time. I know that sounds weird but when you have no friends and no family it's refreshing to hear your thoughts out loud instead of jumbled in your head.

Yeah, used to frequently talk to myself a lot, have conversations, like from 2 different persons point of view. My mum used to do this all the time (she's totally undiagnosed bang door screaming Aspie), so whether it's learned behaviour is a moot point. I don't think it is, I find it mentally "cleansing" if that makes sense...

Only when my monkey brain demands social interaction. But i've comed up with several ways to cheat the system and not enslave myself to the concept of "socialization".

I only do it for crap that I need to bring up to another person or for ideas/perspectives I want to share. So mostly for imaginary conversation purposes. I obviously only do it if no one is around or within close distance though.

I might have a bit of a running commentary going on at home if I'm trying to stay on track with a task.
Somehow helps me remember what comes next.

This is something I've always done, having conversations with myself - it seemed like I never outgrew imaginary friends (and didn't realize this was unusual as a child until it was too late to break the habit without serious effort.) It took me years to understand that what's going on is I'm practicing social interactions and working out problems this way - for a while I and others really thought I was delusional! (The joys of being undiagnosed lol - just try to explain this to a therapist or psychiatrist without understanding yourself why you do it!)

I fairly recently learned that this is actually a common trait among autistic people (and flies in the face of the stereotype that we aren't able to imagine things!) Just how common is it? What are everyone's thoughts on this?

A lot of times I verbalize my thoughts. I'm not always aware of it can't always control it. I also play out imaginary characters through plushies :) Still haven't given up on it, It can annoy my family quite a bit. I probably already get quite a bit of negative stigma in public because I carry around a plushie that a bit of a comfort object. So I don't think talking to myself would have that much of an effect.

I'm my own best friend. Yes, I talk to myself out loud. Especially on my walks. It helps me think and helps me work things out and it's comforting.

My normal thought processes involve an inner dialogue, since I have aphantasia and my only way of "thinking" requires me to talk with myself. Often, I do this silently and purely internally, but sometimes when I'm alone I just turn up the volume and speak my thinking process out loud.

New Threads

Top Bottom