• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you still read hardcover or real books?

In 2001 I dumped the lot and went digital. I still read a lot but I do that at home on a 27 inch screen. Now 1000 novels only takes up about 1.5 gigs on my harddrive, and if I'm going to be away from home a couple of books take up minimal space on my phone - the only thing phones are good for in my opinion.
Is it like, each page blown up the full with of the 27 inch? I don't know about your setup, but isn't it hard on the eyes? - I have been sitting in front of a computer working for years, but when I work, it's not like constant reading one line and the next, it's more dynamic, switching between different windows/tasks, I'm just trying to understand how it is to read a whole book on a computer screen...

Is it like, each page blown up the full with of the 27 inch?
You can set it up to behave as you please, I use Calibre for managing my collection and it's ebook reader program. I don't have page breaks in what I read, I see the entire book as one continuous long page. I can adjust the fonts and sizes to suit my tastes and I can set the background colour as I please too.

screen59.jpg

I was always an avid reader, mostly of fantasy fiction but I like a bit of sci-fi and suspense thrillers too. I used to always carry a book with me, it was a good way to shut the rest of the world out because most people will leave you alone if they see you reading a book.
In high school, I always had a paperback (usually sci fi) on me. Between classes, I walked reading the book, using my peripheral vision to avoid collisions. That helped to diminish the chaos of all the bodies and noise in the hallways, plus eliminated any expectation of making eye contact. If I had time after reaching class, I would continue to read until the class started.

If I had time after reaching class, I would continue to read until the class started.
I used to have a novel in my lap during class. Maths was my favourite lesson because it was so easy, all I had to do was scribble a few answers down and then I could go back to my book.

By age 7 I'd finished everything the likes of Enid Blyton had ever written and moved on to mainstream novels. I was heavily in to space and technology back then so Larry Niven and Isaac Asimov ruled, but I loved all of Spike Milligan's books too because I grew up hearing The Goon Show on the radio.

By age 7 I'd finished everything the likes of Enid Blyton had ever written and moved on to mainstream novels.
Understandable. I quickly tired of childrens' books too. Even the "young adult" section of the library was mostly too simplistic.

I still use old fashioned books. I use books for reference and recreational reading. I like the feel of a book in my hand. Shoot, if the local paper still printed I'd get a subscription, but they've gone digital.

I have PDF copies of most of my TTRPG gaming books. They're on my iPad, which makes it easier to carry and use them in gaming conventions.

Otherwise, my hard-cover books stay in my man-cave.

Absolutely. Reading a book is actually one of my favorite things to do. Reading something on tablet or notebook is not comparable. I love the smell of a new book and the sound of flipping pages. Reading a book under the sun, with a freshly brewed coffe is the definition of happiness to me.

Still reading "An Illustrated History of the Philippines" by Jose Raymund Canoy.

I highly recommend it for those who want greater knowledge of other cultures.

I am ADHD, I think physical reading is rarely stimulative enough for me and my wandering brain. It's not at all that I don't enjoy the content. However, nowadays my primary way of consuming books is through audiobooks. I listen to them primarily at work.

I think the last time I read a physical book outside of college textbook materials was 2016. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom