• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ramble before getting to your point?

Owliet

The Hidden One.
Do you ramble on before getting to your point? I seem to do this a lot, and I also seem to do this when I want to ask a question but feel I need to provide a lengthy explaining as to why I’m asking. I can’t seem to do the “cut a long story short” thing. I’m not really sure how to fix this.

Write down what you want to say before you say it. So, like this:

"Hi. My name is Owliet. I'm here to make friends and chill. Read anything good lately? Personally, I'm on a Hemingway bent." and go from there. "or, Hi, I'm Owliet. The wether here has been terible and my car keeps getting stuck in the mud; damn near ruined a pair of jeans last week pushing it out of a mud pile." Or "Anyone see the latest WHATEVER COMIC BOOK CHARACTER movie yet? I thought RANDOM ACTRESS was GREAT/TERRIBLE WASHED UP'

Yes, I do this. I tend to over-elaborate or over-explain. I also repeat myself a lot. Not when writing, because I can monitor and edit, but when speaking.

I ramble when I’m nervous. When I’m not nervous I tend to be too straight to the point. There is no middle ground.

you know, I hate to say this but a couple glasses of wine works wonders for confidence. People tend to ramble when their nervous and white wine can really chill you out, especially before a big interview, a court date or meeting with your social worker.

Oh, all the time. It's either that or give one word answers. No in between!

(I just had to stop myself just now from going on and on... easier to do when you're typing.)

I try very hard to speak and express myself succinctly. It has taken a lot of practice to get here. Most of that practice has been to just think my thoughts through so that I express myself in an organized way. I do this because I don't like being misunderstood.
Unfortunately, people choose to listen or not as they wish. Clear communication is no assurance that the person you are speaking to wants to hear what you have to say.

I agree with @Judge that this is not something you need to fix. It's just part of who you are.

Also, your target audience may not be happy either way. I often tend to give short answers, and then people draw conclusions of things I didn't say, but they assumed. Sometimes it's better to be more verbose so your audience doesn't have to try (and fail) to think too much.

Seems like about once a week or so, I have to ask someone NOT to ramble on before coming to the point. "It confuses my poor autistic brain." "Out with it,...I'm busy." :D

Often. I ramble often.
Complete with back story, other subjects that crossed my mind at the time and eventually;
if I haven't ridden off into the sunset on a tangent,
my point.

Happens more frequently for me when my brain isn't in gear.
My thoughts pour out of my mouth unfiltered, untidy, unabashed.

I witter when I'm nervous.

Use alot of gestures when I'm stressing or anxious.
(Not so audible)

Non of the above needs to be 'fixed'
It's unlikely I'll ever give public speeches and I'm not forcing anyone to listen to my rambles, witters and gestures at gunpoint.

Listen or no. Their choice.

I ramble so much that often times I forget the point entirely, which is why this post is so short! :D

I can ramble with the best of them, and know that I do it...

But in most cases I have learned when I need to be more direct, depending on the situation rambling isn't always a bad thing...

I have to ask my boss for a favor today and I’m really nervous about it. I honestly can’t predict if I’m gonna ramble, blurt it out or just clam up and make life difficult for myself

I answer many questions with a brief explanation of my reasoning. It is something I would value if I ever received it but generally people don't want to hear it.

All the time unless I am thinking about it and consciously make an effort to do other wise.
That's just the way I am. Sometimes I get called out on it which makes me feel bad.
Then that takes away the feel good of the moment that causes the ramble.

It's the opposite when I'm upset, angry or nervous. One word answers if I can get by on them.

It depends on what you mean by rambling.

Sometimes it can take a moment to hone in on what is actually required, especially if there's a sense of urgency in having to express myself. Otherwise I am usually economical with what it is I say.

If I remember to pause before answering, to get a sense of what should be said, there's no rambling. If I remember I don't need to say more than is necessary, there's no rambling. If I just speak without thinking, let words come out in a sort of stream of consciousness way, as if I'll get there eventually and hope my brain catches up at some point with my mouth, there could be rambling.

New Threads

Top Bottom