• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ramble before getting to your point?

It depends on what you mean by rambling.

Sometimes it can take a moment to hone in on what is actually required, especially if there's a sense of urgency in having to express myself. Otherwise I am usually economical with what it is I say.

If I remember to pause before answering, to get a sense of what should be said, there's no rambling. If I remember I don't need to say more than is necessary, there's no rambling. If I just speak without thinking, let words come out in a sort of stream of consciousness way, as if I'll get there eventually and hope my brain catches up at some point with my mouth, there could be rambling.

I really need to learn this pause thing.

I try not to ramble.
I sometimes stop myself and look for signs the other person is drifting off :)
Bite sized chunks.
My goal is to say as much as possible using few words.
I used to be a chatterbox yet I am really not a natural talker and am getting that I only talk or comment when it feels right.
I think I talked for the sake of talking.
I have a lot of internal dialogue and talk to myself, good job I live alone, and I ramble more then, but if the talk is going nowhere, or I find it is not genuine or repetitive I try to stop.

I practiced putting tape over my mouth to quiet my mind, it didn't work. The theory was if I stopped rambling to myself, the monkey chatter in my mind would stop.

I do feel I have undiagnosed ADHD and undiagnosed complex trauma, and I have a theory (right or wrong-I wont ramble here) that many traumatised people are talkative.

I ramble a lot, especially IRL where I don't get to "filter" my thoughts as much.

When I first started posting on forums I rambled more than I do now, but over time I learned how to revise my posts and make them much more concise.

New Threads

Top Bottom