• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like fiction?

SUM1

Hello.

I'm expecting a lot of people on this forum to like fiction, just as people do in general, but I feel very alone in having never liked fiction. Throughout my childhood, my main attention was on computers, and I never watched fictional films or TV shows unless I was forced or there was nothing else on. I never went out of my way to read fictional books either, again unless I was forced, such as part of school, and I never enjoyed them when I was forced. To this day (I'm 19), the number of films I've watched and fictional novels I've read from start to finish is probably under 10 for each. (The number I've consumed parts of though is much, much higher, obviously.)

On the other hand, I did go out of my way to read non-fictional fact books. In all my schools, those were the books I'd select out of the library, and I've always gone out of my way to read or watch non-fictional material on the internet since I started using it: YouTube videos, documentaries, Wikipedia.

The purpose of this post is to a) find out how many people on this forum have also never liked fiction and b) to understand why those on the autism spectrum who do like fiction like it.

I found any consumption of fiction as a waste of time, because it would be a lot of investment into something I couldn't apply in my life or help me understand the world around me. What is annoying though is that when I see how so many autists do like fiction intensely, and that even though I am diagnosed with Asperger's, I see the meaning and value of the autism diagnosis go down and down every time I see how fundamentally different I am to other autists. Even when fundamental things like the liking of non-fiction and the inability to feel empathy are in all the literature around Asperger's, so many autists, both self-professed and diagnosed, are so intensely opposite to those things. Yes, I get it that autism is diverse, but that's not the point. The point is it makes me wonder who on earth I can relate to and where I fall into. At this point, it's really no one. I see people like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, anime, and I see it even more so among autists, but I don't like anything about these things. I've never gained an Aspergic obsession into something fictional, it has always been something factual, like aviation, politics, history, biology.

Anyway, please respond if you can relate at all or if you have any experience or explanation you think is helpful. Thank you.

Yes I like Fiction, be it movie, video game or book form.

For me it's always been a place to escape the stresses of everyday life and also loneliness, alongside stretching the boundaries my imagination. And it can help with joining in on conversations/discussions because I can relate easier.

Also, Happy Birthday :D
:shortcake:

I like fiction, and I disagree with the general notion that it's useless. It's just useful in a different sort of way.

In the case of non-fiction, you'll get (ostensibly) useful information that you might use someday.

Fiction (the kind I'm referring to anyway) teaches you how to be a person through storytelling. It shapes you, it cultures you, it makes you a more interesting human being. Missing out on fiction for a dry and dull person does make.

Fiction and non-fiction is an apples to oranges comparison, IMO.

Would it help if we only read or watched fiction on odd numbered days?

I’m not a huge fan of fiction. Unless it’s quite arty with hidden meanings, I find fiction quite boring.

Hello.

I'm expecting a lot of people on this forum to like fiction, just as people do in general, but I feel very alone in having never liked fiction. Throughout my childhood, my main attention was on computers, and I never watched fictional films or TV shows unless I was forced or there was nothing else on. I never went out of my way to read fictional books either, again unless I was forced, such as part of school, and I never enjoyed them when I was forced. To this day (I'm 19), the number of films I've watched and fictional novels I've read from start to finish is probably under 10 for each. (The number I've consumed parts of though is much, much higher, obviously.)

On the other hand, I did go out of my way to read non-fictional fact books. In all my schools, those were the books I'd select out of the library, and I've always gone out of my way to read or watch non-fictional material on the internet since I started using it: YouTube videos, documentaries, Wikipedia.

The purpose of this post is to a) find out how many people on this forum have also never liked fiction and b) to understand why those on the autism spectrum who do like fiction like it.

I found any consumption of fiction as a waste of time, because it would be a lot of investment into something I couldn't apply in my life or help me understand the world around me. What is annoying though is that when I see how so many autists do like fiction intensely, and that even though I am diagnosed with Asperger's, I see the meaning and value of the autism diagnosis go down and down every time I see how fundamentally different I am to other autists. Even when fundamental things like the liking of non-fiction and the inability to feel empathy are in all the literature around Asperger's, so many autists, both self-professed and diagnosed, are so intensely opposite to those things. Yes, I get it that autism is diverse, but that's not the point. The point is it makes me wonder who on earth I can relate to and where I fall into. At this point, it's really no one. I see people like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, anime, and I see it even more so among autists, but I don't like anything about these things. I've never gained an Aspergic obsession into something fictional, it has always been something factual, like aviation, politics, history, biology.

Anyway, please respond if you can relate at all or if you have any experience or explanation you think is helpful. Thank you.
I answered before reading all your post because it was a simple - no, I don't like fiction, answer. But I wouldn't call it a waste of time for those who do enjoy it. And I think sci-fi is typically big with autistic because the creativity and all involved.
I'm sure there are things you do that is somewhat a waste of time, also. Even if you spend 24/7 just learning things that are useful - what are you going to do with it?
Anyhow - again I don't like reading fictional books. Never did. I used to have my sister do my book reports in school.

I answered before reading all your post because it was a simple - no, I don't like fiction, answer. But I wouldn't call it a waste of time for those who do enjoy it. And I think sci-fi is typically big with autistic because the creativity and all involved.
I'm sure there are things you do that is somewhat a waste of time, also. Even if you spend 24/7 just learning things that are useful - what are you going to do with it?
Anyhow - again I don't like reading fictional books. Never did. I used to have my sister do my book reports in school.

I wasn't saying it's a waste of time for other people. I said I found it to be a waste of time, myself. That was just my own experience speaking. So I don't think that saying things I do are a waste of time was necessarily warranted, but no, I try to make everything I do as valuable as it possibly can be given the circumstances.

I wasn't saying it's a waste of time for other people. I said I found it to be a waste of time, myself. That was just my own experience speaking. So I don't think that saying things I do are a waste of time was necessarily warranted, but no, I try to make everything I do as valuable as it possibly can be given the circumstances.
Glad you explained that. I thought I was defending all those on here that do enjoy reading fiction. Everyone has their own things that they enjoy doing that is not necessarily productive. :)

I think Tom’s jokes are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Lightheartedly. Don’t think he’s trying to be rude, unless I’m wrong @Tom ?

sea-salt-mountains-messolonghi.png

Who said auties can't like fiction? Some NT?

I hate fiction. I loathe it and also see it as a tremendous waste of time and brain energy. But so what? I love people who like fiction and good on them to find a way to escape. Auties are more resourceful and creative and smart than they are the same. Only NTs try to say we are this or that.

I like both.

Non-fiction expands the scope of my special interests.

When I am relaxing, I find well-written fiction to be diverting. Also, the writer will usually set up a spectacular [read: unusual] conflict only to be resolved by an equally spectacular [read: creative] solution. Even if real-life problems aren't so dramatic, it expands my imagination.

Some of my own observational skills have been improved after watching Columbo, Law & Order: Criminal Intent or some other good iteration of Sherlock Holmes.

And I like the artwork of well-made animation & comic books (although I have not collected the latter in years).

Clever comedy expands my humor repertoire.

Poorly written fiction can be fun, too, if I relegate it to the status of camp.

Last edited:
I don't like fiction nor do I create it or understand it well. Up until maybe age 8 I read some simpler child fiction books and actually enjoyed them, but after that I hated fiction. I also tried hard, but couldn't understand it if I was paid to do it. I failed in all creative writing and novels classes. Best I could do for creative writing was write about actual happenings in my life.

Nonfiction, I have tons of books and enjoy reading them. I go to resales and pick up a bunch at a time for dirt cheap.

TV and movies, I tend to go for documentary or educational stuff. The only fiction I go for is stuff I can closely relate to. I don't like sci-fi except for looking at the imagery and gadgets on ancient shows, and it becomes a then-and-now history lesson instead.

New Threads

Top Bottom