• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have visual disturbances like static vision, afterimages, light sensitivity and trails?

A white wall is never just a white wall - I get this granulated or dotted or pixel effect - but doesn't everyone experience this?? And yet, I can focus and see fine detail quite well, so I really don't know if what I am seeing is 'snow' or not. I also see halos and effects round street lamps - again, I just took this to be the effect of atmospheric humidity and part of normal experience. I get a flickering after I turn off a light, and often get afterimages, but doesn't everyone?? I also have hyperacusis.

I see my pointillist image at all times

I had the same idea , I thought that the artists who created the pointillism gendra were influenced by a strong VS. ( in addition to the weird they consume xD)

A white wall is never just a white wall - I get this granulated or dotted or pixel effect - but doesn't everyone experience this??

Nope its just when you have floaters and VS, My white walls even vibrates

One day I found a video that actually used the visual snown pattern to "relief you" from it.
You look at it 5min and then when you look away your brain "ignore" the VS for a few minutes, it was so weird It created me a weird anxiety attack.

I think some halo around street lights are fine.
The problem is that we look too much at light sources compared to NT.

IMO no one got a perfect eye so maybe everyone got a little bit of it, but for may reasons, our own sensitivities, blood pressure, etc..we might feel it more.

And I know my pupill doesnt contract properly aswell.

Do you see millions of dots moving in your vision? Then you may suffer from visual snow syndrome. Some people with autism have this condition.

Other symptoms of visual snow syndrome are:

• Afterimages
  • Seeing circles and starbursts around streetlight
  • Light flashes in eye
  • Blue field entoptic phenomenon (seeing worms in blue sky)
  • Photophobia (Light sensitivity)
  • Hyperacusis (Sound sensitivity)
  • Headaches
  • Tinnitus
  • Numbness and tingling of body and skin
Visual snow appears most of the time after a trauma, panic attack or medication use/withdrawal.

According to research, hyperexcitibility of the visual part of the brain is responsible for these problems. It has nothing to do with the eyes.
I just thought these were normal and everybody has them

And now I have spent the whole day looking at them. XD
I saw my neighbour earlier, he needed my ladders to fix his curtain rail. In the end I did it. I asked him about it and showed him the Wikipedia article with the illustration.
Visual snow - Wikipedia
He said that he has never seen anything like this and certainly doesn't see it all the time every day. I suppose we're just blessed with a cool extra sense; although it might explain why I can often not make out a far away object/ boat/ landmark when someone tells me they can see it.
I enjoy the patterns in the speckles and the percieved patterns though, so I wouldn't want to have it permanently "cured" and not be able to enjoy it ever again.

Do you see millions of dots moving in your vision? Then you may suffer from visual snow syndrome. Some people with autism have this condition.

Some people, full stop, have this condition. People who have autism aren't unique when it comes to such visual phenomena.

Other symptoms of visual snow syndrome are:

• Afterimages
  • Seeing circles and starbursts around streetlight
  • Light flashes in eye
  • Blue field entoptic phenomenon (seeing worms in blue sky)
  • Photophobia (Light sensitivity)
  • Hyperacusis (Sound sensitivity)
  • Headaches
  • Tinnitus
  • Numbness and tingling of body and skin
Visual snow appears most of the time after a trauma, panic attack or medication use/withdrawal.

According to research, hyperexcitibility of the visual part of the brain is responsible for these problems. It has nothing to do with the eyes.

The first, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and last I have experienced, at one time or another. Tinnitus I have also experienced (a high-pitched whistling), but it only happens after I have been wearing headphones with the sound turned up too high, so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 'autism' in my case.

Visual snow anyone?

There's a thread and discussion on this same topic. How it relates to ASD...well, I don't know. Take it up with Pfizer, they'll probably find something to ease your troubles.

I will try to make this as short as possible. Having studied "consciousness" from a quantum physics perspective, I would like to throw into the conversation my philosophical opinion. Everything in this reality that we share vibrates. Every vibration has its own frequency. Think of it this way - sound for an example. We hear because a frequency enters our ears (a biological sensor), then is converted into an electrical signal that our brain (a biological transceiver) interprets as - a sound. But "normal" perception is "extremely limited" by our human nature. To expound upon this simple example, dogs can "hear" sounds that have a higher pitch. Elephants can "hear" sounds that have a lower pitch. The only difference between them and humans is the "ability" of their brains to interpret the frequencies into a perception. Now think about how everything in this reality vibrates with its own unique frequency. Taste, touch, smell, sight & sound. From a quantum physics perspective, frequencies are "points of energy" that "consciousness" interprets into what we perceive as our reality - the world around us.

I stated all that to say this. Some people are more susceptible to frequencies (points of energy) outside "normal" human perception. Remember the above example with sound. Also, with the help of certain techniques, humans are capable to explore perceptions "outside" the electromagnetic spectrum - which is the flow of energy that our five senses are "limited to" or programmed to interpret as our reality. (Altered states of consciousness)

Those of us on the Autism Spectrum as well as those that are affected by schizophrenia, have the "ability" in our own "normal reality" to perceive certain "points of energy or frequencies" outside the electromagnetic spectrum. That is how some of us "see" things or "hear" things that others cannot. And here is the simple summation of all this for those of us on the spectrum - our consciousness is "more expanded" than the average neuro-tyipcal. The amazing concept about all of this is the fact that science, with their complex and sophisticated instruments have concluded that our human perceptions are "limited" to only interpreting less than 5% of the available "points of energy" that is prevalent in our reality. We can only imagine what "other realities" exist outside our narrow band of perception.

Yeah i get flashes in my sight all the time. In the dark it looks like a tube tv screen when you get up close with random dots everywhere. I had convinced myself that it was that my retina was dissociating or whatever you call it but my eye doctor said it was fine. Never occured to me it was an autism thing since i recently figured out i probably am autistic, but it makes sense.

Yeah i get flashes in my sight all the time. In the dark it looks like a tube tv screen when you get up close with random dots everywhere. I had convinced myself that it was that my retina was dissociating or whatever you call it but my eye doctor said it was fine. Never occured to me it was an autism thing since i recently figured out i probably am autistic, but it makes sense.
It appears from reading the Visual Snow Foundation page that Graphin linked in the above post that VS is not an autism thing.
Pattern glare might have a higher incidence within the autistic community.

Interesting, because this has been diagnosed in me as part of migraines, seizures, and astigmatism. But even my glasses bother me a lot if there's a tiny speck or the light bounces off them funny. I'm hoping contacts will help.

New Threads

Top Bottom