• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you find autism quizzes easy to answer?

Wireless

I'm talking about online quizzes such as Simon B-C's AQ test and the one which gives you a neurodiverse score and a NT score.
Do you find yourself spending a lot of time trying to analyse the questions and selecting the most appropriate answer? And then wondering if you understood the question correctly?
Maybe at the end of each test there should be one more question: Did you spend at least five minutes on each question? A Yes answer would add to the ASD score. A No would add to the NT score.

Yes, questions are not defined properly. Also, sometimes there is no "I don't know" option.

And I really hate those "Are you obsessed with dates?" questions. What am I supposed to answer here? Is there a scale for being obsessed with dates? It's so subjective...

Well for most reading for me as a whole takes me time to analyze the question since I have a language based learning disability.

I'm talking about online quizzes such as Simon B-C's AQ test and the one which gives you a neurodiverse score and a NT score.
Do you find yourself spending a lot of time trying to analyse the questions and selecting the most appropriate answer? And then wondering if you understood the question correctly?
Maybe at the end of each test there should be one more question: Did you spend at least five minutes on each question? A Yes answer would add to the ASD score. A No would add to the NT score.
I do usually find them easy to answer, but do also spend a long time on each question. So, they are easy if I spend a long time on each question/answer.

Edit: Actually, it does depend. With some questions I do wonder exactly what is meant.

Last edited:
I think a lot of those questions are asked from an NT perspective...what it looks like on the outside, not what it feels like on the inside. So I find myself questioning...is that how other people perceive me? Or some of the questions, I can think of ways they could be true, but not at all sure that's what the test-makers meant when they asked the questions that way.

Depends on the question. Some I find to be rather subjective, so I can't just instantly and conditionally answer them. Those require more thought on my part.

I think a lot of those questions are asked from an NT perspective...what it looks like on the outside, not what it feels like on the inside. So I find myself questioning...is that how other people perceive me? Or some of the questions, I can think of ways they could be true, but not at all sure that's what the test-makers meant when they asked the questions that way.
Yes, I have this problem too, and it doesn't help when the question asks what other people think or say - I haven't a clue what other people think of me!

I find most of these quizzes hard to answer over the fact that they're multiple choice and I have a hard time grading where exactly I would scale. I don't think my answers are all that black and white (or yes and no if you will) and I find myself often thinking "well.. yeah.. sometimes, but it depends on the context" rather than saying yes or no. Having answers like "most of the time" makes me think I should've kept a tally how often it happened and how often I acted a certain way...

But I have this with most multiple choice answers/questions unless I can say with certainty that answer X applies. I mean, I once had a math exam and it had a few multiple choice questions... that's where I don't have to weigh my answer. But when I look at behavior it's often a bit trickier

Totally

I tried as hard as I could to answer as honestly as was in my grasp of understanding but it was being on here, that got me understanding even more and so, I took the test again, and whoa came out with a higher score for aspie, but the same score for nts.

I felt the quizz did not really touch on many areas that we struggle with and also, tends to veer towards how male aspie's are.

A aspie friend of mine, gave me another link that list female aspie traits and except for the first one, I was whoa that is so me!

Yes I struggle with them as I don't want to give a wrong answer and wrongly inflate my score. 'Are you obsessed with dates?' I answer no to. It's mildly interesting to pick up the pattern in dates, and work out what day a certain date will be, but I would not describe that as 'obsession'. In fact I've probably become more observant about the patterns in dates from doing that questionnaire and wondering why people are obsessed with dates! So even if I were to become obsessed with dates I shouldn't answer yes next time I do the questionnaire, because I'm only interested in dates thanks to doing the questionnaire... It seems a funny question anyway because surely it only applies to someone with a special interest in dates, and if they ask about dates, shouldn't they ask about other special interests?

Yep I think I can tick your five minutes on every question box.

...it doesn't help when the question asks what other people think or say - I haven't a clue what other people think of me!

Exactly! Isn't that part of the problem of AS?? That we don't understand how we're perceived by other people? So how in the world can I give them that information?? Because apparently what I thought about the way I'm perceived by others isn't nearly as accurate as I had believed...it just seems like those kinds of questions are counter-productive in a test for AS.

When I was diagnosed I had to do the AQ, EQ and one more test which I forgot what was..

Took them home to do it (paper form)..
And it took me 3 days to do them!!
I tried for about an hour and a half - two hours a day on the two first days...
It was so frustrating and took out so much energy that I put it away.
Took it out a week later and finished it with help from my best friend and my mum ((both NT) by help I mean we descussed eeeevery question).

The reason it was so hard and frustrating was because I found...
1. some of the questions were poorly formed/worded
2. some of the questions argued with themselves
3. some of the answers were insufficient

But I got them done and handed them in - along with 3 pages of handwritten notes to about half the questions :tearsofjoy:

I have to sit and think about specific examples to prove or disprove each suggestion! Haha, so it does take a long time.

I'm lucky that my partner read them outloud to me and was able to give me lots of examples for the obvious ones, and discuss the more ambiguous ones with me.

I also have this perfectionist tendency with quizzes. Even dumb "what Ice cream are you?" Type quizzes. The pressures even harder when it's for a diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom