• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you fear Doctors?

I was deeply afraid of doctors when I was a kid because I was so afraid of getting shots and also having them set broken bones was excruciating. It's hard not to be afraid of doctors when visits to them included experiencing physical pain. I've also had some really bad doctors over the years but would go to a new one when that happened.

The one I have now is good. I would say I'm only mildly afraid of the doctor at this point in my life. My least favorite part of a doctor visit is the prostate exam, but it's necessary and doesn't last long.

Pretty much sums up my perspective. I've got lots of issues that my family are trying to push me to see a doctor about.

Thing is I've tried so many times and I've determined it's a waste of time. Things are bad enough without having to deal with some condescending, gaslighting, twerp windbag that has confused himself with some sort of deity, who can very definitely, in his opinion, read my mind.

It's a waste of my energy and only makes me feel worse.

I wouldn't say I fear doctors really. More that I'm sick of them thinking they are special. Oh their jobs are "tough"? So is working at an abattoir and no one puts those guys on a pedestal.
Honestly, I recommend seeing women doctors. I have a great distrust of other men, and doctors are no exception. I have found that talking to women doctors tend to produce more favorable results, and they are easier to establish rapport with in my experience. They are more understanding and nurturing. I don't know your insurance or living situation, but if you can, try to meet different doctors. It really does make a difference ❤️

Honestly, I recommend seeing women doctors. I have a great distrust of other men, and doctors are no exception. I have found that talking to women doctors tend to produce more favorable results, and they are easier to establish rapport with in my experience. They are more understanding and nurturing. I don't know your insurance or living situation, but if you can, try to meet different doctors. It really does make a difference ❤️
My dad certainly agrees with this. I think you are probably correct for the most part. I have considered insisting on speaking to a female doctor but I do worry about female doctors being over worked because male doctors have a problem with being decent human beings. They are paid the same (or at the very least they should be) and the duties and expectations should be the same for all doctors regardless of whether they have an "outie" or an "innie".

My dad certainly agrees with this. I think you are probably correct for the most part. I have considered insisting on speaking to a female doctor but I do worry about female doctors being over worked because male doctors have a problem with being decent human beings. They are paid the same (or at the very least they should be) and the duties and expectations should be the same for all doctors regardless of whether they have an "outie" or an "innie".
That's why I prefer going to private practices

Yes. They always want to touch me and I don’t like it and they don’t have time to understand. Haven’t had a regular doctor for years.

I can definitely relate. Probably more so with the dentist, since I go to doctors more when it's an absolute need. But, all that picking and jabbing. "Does this hurt?" No, I jam metal in my gums all the time.

For a long time I didn't go to the dentist, as gross as that is. The first trip back was pretty painful, so now I make Sure they're regular.

Depends on the specialty. I see both an ND and an ND/MD and they are just wonderful. But there was a time just recently, when I went to certain doctors, and everything they did hurt. And so I avoided the doctor for a long time. Now I go to a team of integrative therapy doctors and they are managing my health so amazingly, and listening to my wants and needs, and only doing what I consent to. I've gained great health with their guidance. If your health plan will pay for it, I strongly suggest ND care.

I must be blessed. I've had a couple of bad experiences, but I won't judge an entire profession by it. I've never met a bad dentist. Another tough job with a lot of depression. I think psychology is the toughest one of all.

One time I went in with severe chest pain. The doc diagnosed it as heartburn and told me to go buy some Tums. Asked him how I could differentiate between that and a heart attack, and he said he wouldn't tell me because I'd start presenting those symptoms. That ticked me off.

When you get hit by a continuous stream of patients all day and many are either unreasonable jerks or whiners and some are in depressing conditions that can't be helped, emotional decoupling from them is a necessary defensive skill. And then you have administrative work you have to do between them.

Most doctors I've known seemed to have a good idea of what they were talking about. Definitely saved my life at least 3 times. Usually seemed like they listened to me. Sometimes they'd stop listening as soon as they got their diagnosis. That's not good, but it is understandable. The more access everyone has to inexpensive health care, the more demand there will be for it and the less time for patients. There's not going to be a dramatic increase in MDs.

Too many people go to doctors for situations better dealt with through e-mails and the phone. I love telemedicine.

Too many people expect cures when many conditions can't be cured. My orthopedist said that at my age we don't fix problems so much as we manage them.

Last edited:
I haven't bothered with dentists in decades. I watched my father go through this process, and all 3 of us kids inherited his bad teeth. He spent thousands and thousands on dentistry just to have them rot and break anyway.

With my first abscess the pain was scary and I went to a hospital for pain killers, but ever since then I've just looked after it myself with Clove Oil. Apply with a cotton bud.

It's a natural anaesthetic, in fact you'll recognise the smell when you open a bottle because it smells just like a dental surgery, that's what their professional anaesthetics are derived from. So it numbs the tooth and gums.

It's also an antiseptic, and it's a light oil. It will flow down the length of the tooth underneath the gums and into your jaw where it can kill what's causing the infection.

Bush Dentistry

My jaw bone is throbbing
With clove oil I'm swabbing
From sleep it is robbing

My stomach feels hollowed
From clove oil I've swallowed
In pain I have wallowed

From work I'm abstaining
Concentration keeps waning
No point in complaining

Eventually pain ends
And calmness descends
But one comprehends
It’ll happen again

I haven't bothered with dentists in decades. I watched my father go through this process, and all 3 of us kids inherited his bad teeth. He spent thousands and thousands on dentistry just to have them rot and break anyway.

With my first abscess the pain was scary and I went to a hospital for pain killers, but ever since then I've just looked after it myself with Clove Oil. Apply with a cotton bud.

It's a natural anaesthetic, in fact you'll recognise the smell when you open a bottle because it smells just like a dental surgery, that's what their professional anaesthetics are derived from. So it numbs the tooth and gums.

It's also an antiseptic, and it's a light oil. It will flow down the length of the tooth underneath the gums and into your jaw where it can kill what's causing the infection.

Bush Dentistry

My jaw bone is throbbing
With clove oil I'm swabbing
From sleep it is robbing

My stomach feels hollowed
From clove oil I've swallowed
In pain I have wallowed

From work I'm abstaining
Concentration keeps waning
No point in complaining

Eventually pain ends
And calmness descends
But one comprehends
It’ll happen again
I've filled dental cavities with pine pitch. The filling stayed in for two years. And the natural antiseptic properties of pitch prevented any infection.

Although there's no replacement for good dentistry, there are natural treatments at home that can prevent plaque, treat caries, and prevent and treat other infection, as well as whiten your teeth.

I don’t fear doctors or dentists. I just don’t trust dentists very much after one office I was going to literally made me wait hours in the chair every single time I went there and they also messed up a crown three times with each having serious flaws. After that I had trouble trusting in any dentists other than a family friend but he didn’t take the insurance that I had for a few years and I didn’t want my dad to pay the bill since I couldn’t afford to pay them myself.

I've filled dental cavities with pine pitch. The filling stayed in for two years. And the natural antiseptic properties of pitch prevented any infection.

Although there's no replacement for good dentistry, there are natural treatments at home that can prevent plaque, treat caries, and prevent and treat other infection, as well as whiten your teeth.
That's genuinely interesting. I wonder if someone could make a tooth-powder or something out of pine pitch.

Yes. They always want to touch me and I don’t like it...
Same here.

Every doctor visit adds traumas on top of traumas. So, last year, I had a thought. I would send my doctor a letter explaining my autistic sensitivities with the hope they might understand. I was told that it was too long and no doctor would read it. Well, that was also part of my test of the doctor. I felt that any doctor that doesn't have time to read a letter about my health would also not have time to be of any benefit to me. Additionally, if the doctor does not have enough interest or patience to read a letter about me then they would likewise not be interested in my health.

So, I sent the letter. When I arrived for my appointment, I was greeted with multiple thank-yous from my doctor and the staff. I found that not only did my doctor read it, but everyone in the practice read it; all of doctors, nurses and even all of the office personnel. The appointment went so much better and I was so amazed that people can actually be interested when given the information. The doctor thanked me for the letter because it would help them care for their other autistic patients. She said that was never taught in medical school.

Might be worth mentioning that the entire practice is all female; doctors, nurses, office - everyone. Perhaps that helps?

Attached is the letter I sent...

Attachments

• Ken's Doctor's Appointment Anxiety.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 68
Same here.

Every doctor visit adds traumas on top of traumas. So, last year, I had a thought. I would send my doctor a letter explaining my autistic sensitivities with the hope they might understand. I was told that it was too long and no doctor would read it. Well, that was also part of my test of the doctor. I felt that any doctor that doesn't have time to read a letter about my health would also not have time to be of any benefit to me. Additionally, if the doctor does not have enough interest or patience to read a letter about me then they would likewise not be interested in my health.

So, I sent the letter. When I arrived for my appointment, I was greeted with multiple thank-yous from my doctor and the staff. I found that not only did my doctor read it, but everyone in the practice read it; all of doctors, nurses and even all of the office personnel. The appointment went so much better and I was so amazed that people can actually be interested when given the information. The doctor thanked me for the letter because it would help them care for their other autistic patients. She said that was never taught in medical school.

Might be worth mentioning that the entire practice is all female; doctors, nurses, office - everyone. Perhaps that helps?

Attached is the letter I sent...
This is a wonderful idea! I am definitely going to try this when I work up the courage to make an appointment. My psychiatrist is already part of the practice in which I will see a doctor, so that is very helpful, and she is helping me. But, a letter is a great way to solve the problem of not being able to voice my opinion and sensitivities at the time of the appointments. Thank you for sharing.

I was told that it was too long and no doctor would read it. Well, that was also part of my test of the doctor. I felt that any doctor that doesn't have time to read a letter about my health would also not have time to be of any benefit to me.
Imagine how this would play in most any M&M or malpractice hearing. Worse in a formal civil suit in a court of law.

If you were to say something like that to your physician's face, they just might change their tune.

New Threads

Top Bottom