• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you fear Doctors?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

In this video content I ask a question about whether if it's common for some autistic individuals do fear seeing Doctors.

Really in this video I only primarily explain how I had a painful foot wart that I self treated and my foot in the end got infected with ulcers. I even explain how I once knew this man in his 70's who was autistic, never went see any Doctors to have health checks, then died from not being diagnosed with diabetes.

If you don't watch or you don't like watching any of my videos, only one question to POP! DO YOU FEAR DOCTORS?

I don't fear them literally, but I fear any doctor that may be less than competent.

It's why Malpractice Insurance remains mandatory and is big business.

I don't have a fear of doctors but I've met very few that I have any respect for. With more than half of them I wonder to myself if they got their PhD in a legitimate manner. Some of them were so incompetent that I asked them outright.

I have met a few truly brilliant doctors, so I do know the difference. The good ones are quite rare though.

So mostly I don't go to doctors simply because 9 times out of 10 it's a complete waste of time.

I'm wary of the doctors, but afraid of the head nurse here, and of the administration. I caught that nurse making a mistake, so she got busy making me look like the problem.

I've met doctors I wouldn't see again on a bet and doctors who impressed the heck out of me.

Doctors suffer from dealing with sick and dying people and whiners over stubbed toes and hypochondriacs wasting their time. At the same time, there's insane pressure to crank through more patients and keep treatment costs down. Most doctors work for a medical establishment and do not have their own practice. The money is good once you've paid off a quarter million dollars in student debt. Unless they are a psychiatrist, an MDs is not trained in psychology. There's a lot of depression in the profession and a high suicide rate.

Lots of specialized training doesn't guarantee competence in any profession. I've met incompetent engineers and supremely competent plumbers. Same is true in the medical profession. Yet we demand they have the selflessness of Mother Theresa and the skills of House.

Even an incompetent doctor will diagnose most conditions correctly most of the time.

I don't have a fear of doctors but I've met very few that I have any respect for. With more than half of them I wonder to myself if they got their PhD in a legitimate manner. Some of them were so incompetent that I asked them outright.

I have met a few truly brilliant doctors, so I do know the difference. The good ones are quite rare though.

So mostly I don't go to doctors simply because 9 times out of 10 it's a complete waste of time.
Pretty much sums up my perspective. I've got lots of issues that my family are trying to push me to see a doctor about.

Thing is I've tried so many times and I've determined it's a waste of time. Things are bad enough without having to deal with some condescending, gaslighting, twerp windbag that has confused himself with some sort of deity, who can very definitely, in his opinion, read my mind.

It's a waste of my energy and only makes me feel worse.

I wouldn't say I fear doctors really. More that I'm sick of them thinking they are special. Oh their jobs are "tough"? So is working at an abattoir and no one puts those guys on a pedestal.

Not afraid of doctors, but rarely have the need. I investigate my own condition and reasonable courses of action. If I need drugs or a procedure, I go to the doctor.

A few months ago I diagnosed myself with chronic pancreatitis. I’ve made significant improvement with diet, but I’m still not healthy. I just gave myself a date certain; without significant improvement by then, I’ll go submit to the initial scans.

Just my observation, but we’ve been taught that doctors are the go-to medical solution. As punishment for believing that, we have weeks to wait for a visit with a doctor who only has time for a cookie cutter diagnosis and treatment plan. Or, there’s the emergency room. Don’t get me started.

If I wind up seeing a doctor for my pancreatitis, I’ll be given from one to three scans to confirm what I already know. Given my symptom set, they’ll want to determine whether the pancreatitis is caused by gallstones. If it’s not gallstones, they’ll give me drugs. If it is, I’ll need to be driven to have my gallbladder removed, but barring complications I’ll be home that night. But, whatever happens, every time I see a doctor, for the rest of my life, they are going to insist on another battery of tests. If drugs are working for me, I’ll have to submit to their cash cow lab tests… or they’ll threaten to withhold the drugs.

It’s also possible that I have pancreatic cancer. I have no intention of battling that killer, so waiting for a diagnosis doesn’t really change anything. A few years ago, the last thing I did for my lifelong wife was to serve as her primary caregiver until she passed of multiple organ failure. I’m not confused about the issues at hand.

Neither was my wife. As a hospital lab tech and phlebotomist, she watched many people die of cancer, including our friends. That’s why she chose not to give herself over to the doctors.

They gave her 12 months, 18 max, if she refused the big three (rad mastectomy, chemo, radiation). With all three, she stood roughly a 20% chance of surviving 5 years. She refused all three, radically altering her diet and lifestyle, and lived almost 9 more years. For 8 1/2 of those years, she led a full and happy life.

Had she submitted to the treatments, however much time she had doubtless would have been in and out of the hospital and with seriously compromised immunity, nausea, vomiting, weakness, etc. That would have been because every doctor she saw insisted it was the only way.

I’m not suggesting others follow the same course, but we had good family health for decades with only rare trips to the doctor.

I’m not afraid of doctors. I’m afraid of what can happen when we treat them as a special species. I’ve had a number of friends that are medical professionals; they’re just people hoping to keep their jobs.

As a kid, I did have a fear of doctors because I hated getting shots. I remember my mom would have to bribe me with candy and toys in order to get a shot. She alway kept her promise and it was fun getting a new toy each time I would go.

I grew out of my fear of doctors and needles when I was in my early teens. I know some doctors can be horrible and have bad bedside manners, so I understand why people would be afraid of going.

I'm not afraid of doctors, just tired of them.
I am afraid of certain things associated with health care such as surgery, anesthesia,
and I've never gotten used to needles.

@Shevek I totally get it about how nurses can be. Often more self-righteous than
a doctor. I've had the same experience a couple of times when in a hospital.
One started to give me the wrong medicine. Being a pharmacist, I knew it was not
a multi-vitamin.
I refused it and she was so hateful about it. Told me I didn't know anything and
that the doctor would set me straight when he came in. I told her to keep it in the cup and we'll see who gets set straight.
Turned out it was some antipsychotic not ordered for me. I feel sorry for people who just take things on faith because they don't have the knowledge to know better.

One thing I must say that has improved since then is they keep the pill in it's unit dose enclosed packet now. So, they must open it to give it to you.
You can now ask to see the packet it came from and read what it is before taking it.

Not really “afraid” of doctors, but tired of them being condescending and acting like I’m wasting their time when there actually is a serious issue going on with me.

Also tired of them using the BMI system which they’re finding more and more evidence isn’t entirely accurate.
I’m in better shape than a lot of people who weigh less than me.

Not really “afraid” of doctors, but tired of them being condescending and acting like I’m wasting their time when there actually is a serious issue going on with me.

Also tired of them using the BMI system which they’re finding more and more evidence isn’t entirely accurate.
I’m in better shape than a lot of people who weigh less than me.
I agree! My dad recently had neck and back surgery and I feel like they were quick to get rid of him. He recently found out he has bigger joints than an average person, which required him to take longer to recover. My dad was in a lot of pain and had to stay in the hospital longer. I remember seeing one of the head doctors roll her eyes at him as if he was being dramatic.
If there was no consequences, I would have smacked her so hard in the head her eyes would have popped out.

That was ridiculous and very unprofessional. Of course he’s going to be in a lot of pain because surgery is terrible. She was so condescending and my dad felt bad because he felt like he was wasting their time like you mentioned earlier. I feel like doctors these days can treat you like cattle and don’t try to get to know their patients.

I agree! My dad recently had neck and back surgery and I feel like they were quick to get rid of him. He recently found out he has bigger joints than an average person, which required him to take longer to recover. My dad was in a lot of pain and had to stay in the hospital longer. I remember seeing one of the head doctors roll her eyes at him as if he was being dramatic.
If there was no consequences, I would have smacked her so hard in the head her eyes would have popped out.

That was ridiculous and very unprofessional. Of course he’s going to be in a lot of pain because surgery is terrible. She was so condescending and my dad felt bad because he felt like he was wasting their time like you mentioned earlier. I feel like doctors these days can treat you like cattle and don’t try to get to know their patients.
Omg, that's so awful! I'm so sorry your dad went through that!
Luckily, the last time I had surgery (last October) I was treated very well, but there have been other times that it didn't go so great.
I hope your dad recovers soon!

I remember my mom would have to bribe me with candy and toys in order to get a shot.
Different worlds. :) All I got was my sister bending one of my fingers backwards and threatening to beat the crap out of me when we got home.

Nope. I self monitor well, know pharmacology, and am insistent on collaborating with my primary care physician to maintain my health. The past two years have been an ordeal with my health. Two of three procedures went well and the one ended with a common issue I was attempting to avoid. The last, though, uncovered when I was hospitalized with complications from the latter procedure, was an 80% blockage of the Left Anterior Descending artery that was on track to kill me. The open heart surgery for that has been an ordeal but I am now pain free and regaining my endurance. Now, with the heart monitoring showing no atrial fibrillation, I'm talking with the cardiologist to eliminate the beta blocker.

More than fear, i sort of have bad sentiments for some of them, see, i had a 'crisis' and the good pshych gave me benzos, the strongest ones, like clonazepam, those you can take maybe 1 week no more, i was years with it, when i realized it was affecting me badly, it was hell to get off of them, i think i still have consequences in my brain because of that. Some phychiatrists give them like candy, seeing it now i feel stupid for not knowing better.

I do not fear doctors, but visiting a doctor does elevate my social anxiety. Actually, visiting almost anyone elevates my social anxiety.

Instead of fear, I am generally angered by them. I resent being stereotyped and their attitude that they own or are in change / control of my health and physical and mental condition.

I do not fear doctors, but visiting a doctor does elevate my social anxiety. Actually, visiting almost anyone elevates my social anxiety.

Instead of fear, I am generally angered by them. I resent being stereotyped and their attitude that they own or are in change / control of my health and physical and mental condition.
Right? It’s so prevalent that it must come from their training. Maybe it’s good that they take responsibility, but they also tend to take authority. Next to modern politicians, doctors are the most officious profession; you go in for an ingrown toenail, but they’re on about your overdue stool sample.

I always go to the doctor to find out what they think, but they think I’m there to be told what to do. Insulting and arrogant. Good to know it’s not just me.

Yes. They always want to touch me and I don’t like it and they don’t have time to understand. Haven’t had a regular doctor for years.

Yes. They always want to touch me and I don’t like it and they don’t have time to understand. Haven’t had a regular doctor for years.
Reminds me of a few times I accompanied my g/f to see her chiropractor. One time he asked her to remove a garment...didn't seem quite right. Though she said it wasn't the first time. Just left me a little uneasy. And those cracking sounds made on her...OMG.

New Threads

Top Bottom