• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Ever Forget To Reply Out Loud?

Sometimes someone ask me something and take some time to understand and then i think what to say (which takes a long time) and then i just forget to tell him or i just say one simple word

Sometimes, in a conversation, I start to be quiet, and it goes until I be in complete silence. My thoughts get so intense I forget I'm in a conversation.

And sometimes, when I do it, I'm thinking about what should I say.

Do you ever not understand the question right then, but a long time later (hours, days, months), the question suddenly resonates and you have a driving urge to voice your answer?
I do this all the time. It's so frustrating! Grrr
As for the actual thread question, I do that too. I've gotten into little arguments over whether I actually said something or just thought about saying it, and usually I'm not even sure myself. :rolleyes:

So much indeed. I do this always that my mother thinks that I am talking to myself when I usually just remember some conversations I read and just mentally respond to the person mentally without realizing I am quite loud about it.

YES. I rehearse many conversations before I have them to make sure I don't miss any important points when we talk, and I guess sometimes I get so involved with the conversation that I forget that it didn't actually happen. I find it entertaining half the time though. Hard to get lonely!

When you say "forget to reply," do you mean direct questions, or just conversations in general? With me, the latter happens quite often; sometimes I just feel there's not much to be said, or the person has already made the point and I don't feel like a reply is necessary, and I have a hard time coming up with "filler."

Part of this is surely due to AS, but I am also on certain medications that can cause mild cognitive impairment. (No anti-meds rants here, please...it's my choice and better than the alternative.) While my brain is fine, it can be a little slow on the uptake when it comes to verbalizing what I am thinking.
I totally relate to this. I am on many meds and they help me a lot but sometimes they cause delays in my thinking and speaking and remembering. Also, I have AS! Great topic.

No! I never answer people in my head - but, I do have trouble comprehending what someone has just said if I'm concentrating deeply on something else.

It's like the words keep running through my mind but they just have no meaning until I fully switch over to thinking about what they've said for it to make sense and then I can respond but it drives me nuts. It's like you're right in the middle of being lost in what you're concentrating on and suddenly, you get ripped out of it trying to switch over to trying to comprehend what they're saying. A N N O Y I N G ! ! !

No! I never answer people in my head - but, I do have trouble comprehending what someone has just said if I'm concentrating deeply on something else.

It's like the words keep running through my mind but they just have no meaning until I fully switch over to thinking about what they've said for it to make sense and then I can respond but it drives me nuts. It's like you're right in the middle of being lost in what you're concentrating on and suddenly, you get ripped out of it trying to switch over to trying to comprehend what they're saying. A N N O Y I N G ! ! !

And I've got to say I agree whole heartedly. (I reply to my own posts now because no one else does :( )

Sometimes my answers to whatever are long and complex. I have these long pauses between parts while I'm thinking how to say the next phrase or clause that make people think I'm finished. As I get older, I'm beginning to say out loud that I'm not done yet. Let me finish my answer.
As a young man I was too shy to insist on being heard out. Quite often I would continue my response mentally with the hope of being able to whip out the whole answer next time that topic came up. It never did.
My wife always used to take the pause as the opportunity to make her own point thinking I was done. I've been asking her lately to try not to interrupt me just because I pause.
I have not worked up a good way to have people keep quiet while I work out my answer that doesn't get me looks and comments that I'm being rude.
If I don't give a complete answer, I feel frustrated, that I will be misunderstood. It's still puzzling to me after so many years of life experience that people will cut me off before I am finished.

This is the reason for 100% of misunderstandings between me and fiance. I leave out important details in conversation because mentally I already said it.

Spent many a night sleeping on the couch for this, I now over talk and the meaning is lost.

yes.... but not as much as I have gotten older... i pay more attention on the dynamics of conversation now...

I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now, though I constantly forget to (which I suppose is appropriate for this thread) :p

Do you find that being too inside your head, or too lost in thought, can sometimes lead to you replying to someone inside your own head, rather than replying to the person? Whether spoken, or written; I know I've been guilty of both before.
Oh definitely yes!!! I frequently have half the conversation in my head then say something out loud from further on in my internal conversation. The result is usually confusion and/or annoyance of the other person. Amusing really!!

Oh, yes all the time. Sometimes I even forget to reply to the person I'm having a conversation with becuase I'm too busy with my thoughts or I start whispering out half answers to conversations in my head.

I dont reply to anyone if im in a tinychat room. Tinychat rooms are like a whole nother world. Like a little town and u get caught up in it. And dont give a sht bout any one real

my only problem is not being inside my head enough. i do not think before i speak. i say what i wanna say when i wanna say it. it always comes back and bites me in the butt, however, so i really need to learn to be more introverted

I probably mentioned it somewhere already.... sometimes I have a half of conversation inside my head and then start speaking out loud. A person I talk to may become confused because they only hear a part of what they're supposed to hear. I'm aware of it now, but I still do from time to time.
That's crazy I do this all the time and it's alway really random when I voice it my gf is like what?!?.... Haha I just thought it was me

Is this a autistic trait I wonder or is it a coincidence

I also do this all the time. I think I replied but in reality I only replied inside my own mind. Mike
Totally agree with you and when I get asked again I'm like YES OK! And get a little frustrated as I hate repeating my self even thought I'm not lol

That's crazy I do this all the time and it's alway really random when I voice it my gf is like what?!?.... Haha I just thought it was me

Is this a autistic trait I wonder or is it a coincidence
Apparently it is a trait. Some people with Autism seem to assume that others can "read their minds" :) I do it, both of my kids do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom