• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you believe in IQ?

I know how to control colour using single number, probably could use similar method to sort of measure brain power. Keep in mind every colour is different.

Yes. I am a special education teacher and IQ helps determine a student's classification which in turn helps identify necessary accommodations and placement for school. It's just ONE measure, but an important one in my experience. I feel in a school that does it right, IQ is used to determine strengths and needs. It's not used to negatively label a student.

An I.Q. test measures your capability. It should be as non-bias as possible. The WISC-IV is the best one I have taken that holds the least bias.

It measures generally your processing speed, pattern recognition, memorization, and very little education.
Vocabulary
Similarities
Comprehension
Block design
Picture concepts
Matrix reasoning
Digit span
L–N sequencing
Coding
Symbol search

I.Q. is the main factor in a persons success in life. But it is not the only one. It is the potential power of the mind. Everything else modifies that. It does not measure wisdom or social intelligence.

You can be really smart, have anxiety, sensory issues, depression, and painful physical disabilities that all impair your ability to think and succeed. I know at least one person like this that is a genius.

A perfect example is that you can be an introvert, have anxiety, and ADHD, and be a genius. You can be an excellent computer programmer and earn a solid living working by yourself.

But a neurologically balanced person with a 90 I.Q. will not be able to get a good job or manage a business even if they have high social intelligence. It just won't work. They just don't have the capacity and this will become quite apparent very quickly.

It is important to provide the most healthy environment to a child so they can maximize their I.Q. I know this from personal experience from both ends.

Many successful people I meet have an I.Q. roughly around 120-130 and excellent social skills with no neurological disabilities. They are smart enough to go to college, be able to communicate down to the common man and understand enough with the geniuses while being charming.

.. let me also say this..

Your I.Q or any act of volition is apart of your identity.. this is unavoidable....

BUT

whatever the number.. high or low..it has NOTHING to do with your intrinsic self-worth.

I've done a few IQ tests recently, and I want to do some more... not only to see where I'm at, but because they teach me how to find simple patterns.

The IQ tests I've done only measure a few different things. There's so much more to intellect than logic, so I hope that I find some more in-depth ones. I'd especially like to see some which are based on music and emotion.

So, it really depends on the tests you've taken. The one's I've taken measure how fast I can find simple patterns, which is more of a test of "how helpful to society I can be" rather than how intelligent or even logical I actually am.

Do you have a direct link? I'm not sure if links are allowed here or not.

I just did a test I found searching online for "wais iq test". It was the simplest one I've ever done, but like the others they will tell me how smart I am for just $22.99. :rolleyes:

Do you have a direct link? I'm not sure if links are allowed here or not.

I just did a test I found searching online for "wais iq test". It was the simplest one I've ever done, but like the others they will tell me how smart I am for just $22.99. :rolleyes:
It is the one that psychologist/psychometrists give.
They are expensive out-of-pocket, but insurance can pay for them or a school psychologist might give you one (for free), if you are a student.
There is no home/self test version.
(That one sounds like a scam.)

Autistics tend to score better/more accurately on non-verbal IQ tests like Ravens Matrices or the Test of Non-Verbal Intelligence [TONI].

Before I retired i worked with colour, mainly colour difference I could control this with one number called delta E similar to IQ tell you nothing about individual colours.

I wouldn't even be concerned with what an IQ score is, there is much more to intelligence than that score.

Too much is made of IQ scores. However Moral Quotient (MQ) and Emotional Quotient (EQ) are very important in determining a persons outcome in life. Long before I heard of MQ or EQ, I would mentor my sons in each, to bring their awareness to a higher level of function.

I believe that though many on the spectrum cannot pick up cues in social situations, we are acutely aware of what is moral and emotional. Just because in a tense circumstance you may not respond 'correctly', does not mean upon standing back and taking inventory of such, that you lack awareness emotionally. In fact, I think many on the spectrum are oversaturated with emotions.

I attract those of higher IQ into my life's path. That said, I find I am touched deeply by those who MAY lack that IQ, and are focused on improving this world we live in. I find I have deeper connections with those who have a moral or emotional heightened perspective.

I firmly believe that they're bloody stupid.

Case in point: I did one a few years ago, for... some reason, done by a professional.

One of the things they asked was "list a bunch of animals". Okay, sure. I like animals, so I spit out a gazillion different words like cats and yaks and armadillos and various exotic things too.

This clearly has an effect on the score, or they wouldnt have asked it. However, it is stupid.

Why? Because it has nothing to do with intelligence... it's just memory. That's all. All it means is that I memorized a bunch of animals, specifically because I have an interest in animals.

Just... ugh. The process just got dumber from there. There were certain bits that did seem to fit the main concept, but... yeah the fact that something like that was in there says the concept really isnt very well thought out.

I don't think I have ever taken an actual IQ test. But in school I always scored 99-95 percentile in the Iowa Basics test, so bright but not more. For my SATs I also scored high. But as someone pointed out, these tests are easy. I am very good at guessing the correct answer without knowing a thing. I opperate more like an opportunistic feral cat than king of the jungle.

from using the my perspective using the colour analogy, IQ has more in common with the intensity of the colour.
That is an interesting analogy. By intensity do you mean shade or hue? Perhaps savants are best desctibed as the invisble end of the light spectrum. "You should meet Geordie. He is a real infared!"

That is an interesting analogy. By intensity do you mean shade or hue? Perhaps savants are best desctibed as the invisble end of the light spectrum. "You should meet Geordie. He is a real infared!"
thier is two colour contol systems CIE Lab and CIE luvshade and hue and hue are part of the luv system more used by artits
us industrial guys used CIE lab I was refering too colour strenght.

New Threads

Top Bottom