• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you agree that Technology is going too far?

It's only a matter of time before someone tips it over.
Or steals it. Wondering how dogs would deal with it. "Robohydrant" ?

My opinion? Only laughter at the moment. Which might change if I were to encounter one. Too bad they don't have them dressed as a bobby sounding like Graham Chapman bellowing, "What's all this now?"

Last edited:
I want Robocop patrolling my the streets of Detroit. That was such an amazing movie. I was not allowed to watch it when it first came out because it was originally rated X for violence.

Actually if used correctly it would be great, i mean, is not going to be used for 'real justice' in this world, but
imagine an AI that can report suspicious activity, and then the cops decide to come or not.

I want Robocop patrolling my the streets of Detroit. That was such an amazing movie. I was not allowed to watch it when it first came out because it was originally rated X for violence.

I think it was ok they not allowed you to watch, i watched it, i got traumatized as a kid. The scene when they shot the protagonist, and the brains inserted in robots and they suicide because they were no longer human etc.

I am not against it if it is just passively gathering information.
It is benign to innocent bystanders while looking for true threats to public safety.
(It looks like the lovechild of R2-D2 & a Dalek...!)
As it was passing me, you could see the cameras raising up to get a good shot of my face. And then the bot turned in sort of a little arc, to capture my image in its other cameras too.
Did you make that video...?

I think it was ok they not allowed you to watch, i watched it, i got traumatized as a kid. The scene when they shot the protagonist, and the brains inserted in robots and they suicide because they were no longer human etc.
Well, yeah, I was eight when it first came out. The satire would have flown right over my head.

I think it's an invasion of privacy.
There is no privacy in public places. You can be looked at by anyone (or any thing) any any time outside your home, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Just ask any reasonably attractive woman who has felt the "Male Gaze" upon her the moment she steps outside.

I'm firmly against this robot-AI surveillance awfulness. Sure it's good to stop criminals but that thing is watching everyone. I haven't done anything wrong so why should I put up with robots filming me all the time.

And where does this stop? Soon we'll get a message on our phones if we cross the road on a red light, "A fine has been deducted from your bank account for jaywalking and your social score has been lowered to 56 points". :fearscream:

Last edited:
I've been feeling "off" all day since I saw it. Kinda messed me up. I didn't know they were in use.
I am shuddering to think of it. I'm already creeped out enough by the ones in the grocery store where I live. It makes strange movements and loud beeping sounds. It's intimidating and confusing. I've watched Robocop far too many times to feel comfortable with this idea (but an amazing moving as @Metalhead noted).

And I am obsessed with robots.
But imaginary ones that learn how to wonder and love.

b4f6d6def06e481b911dc23b1e71859f.jpg

I was crossing the street to go to the bus stop this morning, when I came upon an A.I. Security Robot.

Being on the spectrum, does this kind of technology worry you? Do you feel like technology has gone too far?

What's your opinion?

I’ve never considered that my opinions on the subject are related to my autism.

My mind goes to wondering what would happen if a human cop walked around the city taking endless photos of people and running them through the database, tailing them until they had been cleared for human contact. I suspect this would not be tolerated and could only be implemented by an authoritarian regime careless of human feedback.

My opinion is that people in general have already waived and forfeited the right to privacy and it will take nothing short of violent revolution to pry their clutching fingers from our bones. I neither promote nor expect such violence, and so believe this is our future.

It will surprise me not a bit when interfering with one of these voyeurs becomes a jailable offense, nor when they are then armed with ‘self protective’ weapons, which are then finally declared usable against civilians in ‘certain critical situations’. People laugh at such predictions, just as their parents scoffed uproariously when some goofball predicted that one day the government would send out squads of robots to monitor civilian activity.

Just remember the mantra of the authoritarian: ‘If you haven’t done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear.’ Those words are what strike fear into me.

They should make Ai trash cans that follow all the lazy people who can’t seem to figure out how to put trash in a can .

We have CCTV cameras mounted on and around our house. Anyone walking through the field of view of any one of these cameras is automatically recorded. These recordings are over-written 24 hours later. In the mean-time, I can replay, copy, archive, and send any video record or still image of the person, and I do not need their permission to do so.

If a police officer requests copies of my records, then they need a search warrant because the records are kept inside my home. However, If I know that a crime has been committed, and some of my records may show the perpetrator(s), then I will voluntarily offer those records to the District Attorney.

As I posted earlier, there is no such thing as privacy in public spaces (i.e., beaches, parks, plazas, sidewalks, streets, et cetera), so claiming that one's privacy was violated in a public space is simply ridiculous.

I am shuddering to think of it. I'm already creeped out enough by the ones in the grocery store where I live. It makes strange movements and loud beeping sounds. It's intimidating and confusing. I've watched Robocop far too many times to feel comfortable with this idea (but an amazing moving as @Metalhead noted).

And I am obsessed with robots.
But imaginary ones that learn how to wonder and love.

View attachment 125931
But, I do like Arthur.

Watch that moving, beeping camera for a while. If there is no correspondence with the other visible variables, like suspicious characters, it is just a fake to spook people.
My friend Steve had a really tricked-out bicycle with a motion detector and a Ham radio. He'd sit in a cafe, and watch the action. The bike would attract a small crowd, and then someone would touch it, setting off a very stern, robotic sounding warning. Street kids would all scatter, but when he had it parked in an auditorium in an engineering faculty, the same warning got it swarmed by curious geeks.

New Threads

Top Bottom