• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do we live in such a shallow dating world?

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
When people are dating, some can't ever work on being friends with the person because they want to keep the two separate, even if nothing real bad ever happened between them. I think that that is really sad, especially if the people are lgbt. It's bad enough that the lgbt population is relatively small, but then to just diss people just because you don't like the way they look even though you might have a lot in common.

I agree. A lot of male customers at my job (half of them my dad's age) are attracted to me only because I'm pretty, and before I started changing my image to look less naive and innocent, they would hit on me in the form of teasing and other unwanted comments. (I don't get that so much anymore but I still get stares, which I'm currently fighting.) And there have been a few instances where men have straight up asked me to go out with them. (Fortunately those ones are usually pretty respectful.)

I'm not interested in relationships at all, but even if I were, I wouldn't go out with a complete stranger. I would be friends with them first, get to know them, see if I liked them enough to date them, then go ahead. Another risk of dating someone just because you like their appearance is that however attractive they are doesn't say anything about their personality or character. For example, guys may like my appearance, but if they really got to know me they'd probably be surprised to find I'm autistic, I'm obsessed with Disney characters, I battle anxiety from time to time, and I can have violent meltdowns, to name a few "weird" things. You just don't know who you're dealing with if you only look at their shell.

But then again, I don't think a long-term, meaningful relationship and possibly the lifetime commitment of marriage is what these guys are after. And that makes the whole thing even more superficial.

I don't get "dating".

Either someday someone I've been friends for a long time with will say "let's move in together and be life buddies" or I'll just grow old on my own. Or not grow old. Who knows if I care to.

Well I am asexual/aromantic, which most ppl find weird. I am very repulsed by sex & turned off by romance. I just love my friends & family & I do not get why I receive so much hate for not wanting a relationship like others want/have!

Too much pressure and expectations associated with "dating".

If I'm to establish a meaningful relationship with much of anyone it was never accomplished through pressure or expectations of any kind. It simply happened on its own momentum. Chemistry, I suppose. Without any social conventions created by others who don't and frankly never have mattered to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom