• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do we drink more fluids than NTs?

Kerry_eire

I had a discussion with my friend who's 5 y/o son has severe Autism, about his constant drinking habits. He's going nowhere without his bottle filled with either 'My Waddi' or the occasional 'Seven Up'.
I asked her how much he would usually drink per day and her reply was about 5-6 of those half litre bottles. So up to 3 litres or almost a gallon per day.
The reason I was interested in it is that I would drink about the same amount a day. But haven't met anyone else who does it too.
I also never leave the house without a bottle of water in the bag and I get thirsty very quickly.
I know it might be a long shot, but who knows, maybe it might be linked with autism and our need to be hydrated to work well.

My 6 y/o nephew also drinks quite a lot. He also shows a few symptoms of Asperger's, but my sister in law doesn't believe me so far and doesn't want to get him tested yet. But that's another story...

And no, I am not diabetic, as I get tested regularly due to family history, or have any liver/kidney abnormality.

So, is there anyone here who also drinks that much (non alcoholic of course) in a day?

I do. Up until I read this post, I vaguely suspected my physician of being up to something, but I couldn't think of a motive. I drink all the time. Maybe it's the sensory hypersensitivity that lets us know when we are slightly thirsty.

What is your physical activity level? Diet may also play a role.

I used to be very sporty in my teens, but now in my mid thirties walking my dog is sadly the only daily exercise I am doing.

My diet could also be better, but I would call it normally balanced for Irish consumptions.

I used to be very sporty in my teens, but now in my mid thirties walking my dog is sadly the only daily exercise I am doing.
Motivation to exercise seems to drop as we age, especially if we are married with children! Kids add a whole new dimension to the term 'exertion'.

The only liquids I drink as a general rule are water and tea. Sometimes I drink soda or juice, but not very often. So that's basically two.

i drink beer sometimes when sugary drinks are really bland to drink. i eat whatever i see. except for india food.

Drinking a lot just is not the case with me. I do not drink enough. I am prone dehydration and I have to make myself drink more water in the summer. We always have a case of bottled water in the garage refrigerator and my wife drinks a lot of water. When she gets a bottle, she always gets me one and makes me drink it. I feel better when I drink more water.

I seem to be the exact opposite. I can go for days without drinking anything except coffee (which apparently has a dehydrating effect upon the body).

I drink a lot of water, I sip on some water almost constantly all day, but that may be more due to my Adderall (it dehydrates you) and my lithium (if you get dehydrated, your lithium levels can rise to toxic and potentially lethal levels).

I am constantly drinking. In part because I'm thirsty a lot, but also because I simply like to keep my hands occupied as well. As a result, I tend to guzzle too much coffee. I know when I've hit my coffee limit when I feel lightheaded or my heart rate feels accelerated. That's when it's time to switch to water.

Not me. I am prone to dehydration due to ten years of BPH. But in the last few years I've discovered just how toxic dehydration can be. Yet it remains a challenge for me to drink sufficient amounts of fluids.

Not one of my traits! I actually could go days without drinking, for I am rarely thirsty. Summer is a good time for me, because then I get thirsty and also, since I started to exercise, I find that a lovely glass of water is beautiful.

I drink more coffee than I drink water and occasionally will have a glass of lemonade.

I am actually glad when I feel thristy because my conscious is telling me that not drinking water is not good for me!

I struggle to drink and always have done. I cannot drink plain water unless the weather is really hot. My parents used to get so worried about this and said I would end up in hospital on a drip. I did, as an adult and a year or so ago I nearly had to be admitted again for the same reason.

I don't drink enough water. Occasionally, I'll go on a rootbeer kick, or iced tea, but I know I don't drink nearly as much water as I should, because I've been treated for dehydration several times. I've never considered this a spectrum issue, but my son (who should have been diagnosed as autistic but wasn't) used to devour popcycles at an alarming rate. I remember asking the doctor, because he would go through a box of 12 a day, and no one but me seemed to be concerned about it.

I would say my fluid intake is a bit lower then I need, but not excessively low. I'm not sure how much NTs drink. I drink about the same amount of tea as others in the office,

I drink a lot of fluids I also use to drink way too much cola which is not good for you while I still drink It it's no where near as much as I use to drink as for water I did drink a lot of that once too which I should get back into the habit of,my brother is also autistc and he drinks alot too he use to drink 8 cups of coffee a day we had to cut him back due to how the caffeine was affecting him.

New Threads

Top Bottom