• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I or don't I ?

Gracey

Mention High Functioning Autism in a job application?

I'm still drafting a cover letter.

I'm guessing I'm going to be up against some strong stereotyping and lack of knowledge (it's entirely possible I could be mistaken though)

I'm just trying to get my foot in the door.
Put a positive spin on the condition.

How might I word the following in a balanced way? (Not too humble and not too arrogant or presumptious):

" I won't focus on what I can't do, in my own circumstances I don't view these conditions as disabilities, I will bring my abilities to the role and with the right conditions be a valuable part of the team.

If the term "High Functioning Autism" means you're unsure about my suitability for this role and what it may mean for you as an employer and me as an employee I can bring a lot of current information to an interview for us to discuss"

Are you getting any immediate feelings from the above?
Too pushy? Smart-ass? Teaching the manager to suck eggs? Pointing out the manager may be ignorant or prone to stereotyping?
Or
Polite but assertive and to the point?

I'd appreciate any opinion or input
Thank you.

Legally in most countries if you're capable of doing the job they're not allowed to be prejudice against you because of any "disabilities", in other words they're supposed to look at how suitable you would be for the job without specifically considering your condition. I quoted "disabilities" because even though higher functioning autism is often considered a disability it's not always the case and it can also be advantageous in some ways with higher intellect that often specifically excels in a special interest. Whether they are prejudice or not however is a totally different question and if they are, then unless they're ridiculously blatant it's unfortunately extremely difficult to prove. You didn't state what type of job you're applying for, but if for example it involved using the telephone in a customer services position and you found using the phone very difficult, then they are obviously still allowed to consider you unsuitable for the position whether high functioning autism has anything to do with it or not, but if you were good on the phone which is still possible and they just assumed that you weren't because of your condition, it would be prejudice, but as I said proving it would be another matter. If you did have any "disabilities", for instance if you couldn't cope in noisy environments with lots of people, then it would still be fair to reject you for a job in for instance a very busy and noisy bar, but this shouldn't be relevant if the job involved working in a quiet environment. In a similar way a person in a wheelchair wouldn't be considered as a good candidate for a position that involved working in a warehouse if they needed to lift, carry and reach high shelving on a regular basis, but they should be equally as good in an office job that involved working on a computer and doing paperwork, so in this position being in a wheelchair shouldn't be treated as relevant when considering the best person for the job.

I would state your condition, but as you've said I would only be positive about it and mention the good things, I'd also specifically try to enthesize any good qualities about you that are specific to the job. If possible mention the condition later, after stating why you're good for the position just in case the person reading it does happen to be prejudice and rejects your application before reading further, also I would keep this part fairly short because by rights it's not something that is too important and you don't want the reader to think it is either. If the job does involve anything that someone on the higher functioning end of the autistic spectrum would often struggle with, E.g. if there's a lot of human contact involved, you need to show them that it isn't an issue for yourself or perhaps that you've learnt to overcome it, if it does effect you however, then I'm afraid as I stated earlier they can still consider you not suitable even if your condition is the reason why.

If you state your condition, employers in most countries are also supposed to take reasonable measures to help you perform your duties if it's needed, for instance if you unknowingly kept annoying other employees they should do everything they reasonably can to help, educate and mediate in the situation, often over time people on the autistic spectrum can become better understood and accepted (this happened to me in an office job). Similarly if a person in a wheelchair found it difficult to get to their office desk due to obstructions that were easy for walking people to avoid, it would be reasonable to expect an employer to make the minor adjustments necessary to make life easier for the employee and something like this that can be resolved with a little extra care and effort shouldn't legally affect their chances of getting the job in the first place. If however you didn't state your condition and you unknowingly kept annoying other employees, the employer wouldn't be considered unfair if they assumed you were annoying people on purpose and took the appropriate disciplinary action against you and even if you informed your employer at the time the issue was bought up, you could be criticised for withholding the information in the first place, if this still happened when they were initially informed however, you'd at least be in a position to complain.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mention it at all unless they specifically ask for it. They may say that they accept people with ASD publically, but in private they are biased.

won't focus on what I can't do, in my own circumstances I don't view these conditions as disabilities, I will bring my abilities to the role and with the right conditions be a valuable part of the team.

If the term "High Functioning Autism" means you're unsure about my suitability for this role and what it may mean for you as an employer and me as an employee I can bring a lot of current information to an interview for us to discuss"

I dont like the bit about current information - your sucking eggs thing may apply here.
Emphasise your experience in the job and try to rewrite and minimize it.

An informal chat,to meet and learn more about the company..

You bring yourself. Then he'll see HFA mean WOW....
Shes just like a... PERSON.

The first sentence maybe put abilities first, then the disabilities bit last (background)
Reword 'i wont focus on what I can't do'
Negative statement or implication.
Ot take it out.

Or just write HFA KICKS ASS
At the bottom, followed with a big heart drawn in crayon.

Just a couple of suggestions.. some more serious than others.
Suggestions only, adding to different ideas, hopefully.

GRACEY KICKS ASS

Last edited:
In a job application, it's best to turn the negative into a positive. Then, you can put yourself in the best possible light, while maintaining intregrity.
" I won't focus on what I can't do, in my own circumstances I don't view these conditions as disabilities, I will bring my abilities to the role and with the right conditions be a valuable part of the team.
"As a person with ASD, I feel that I have a lot to offer and can bring my personal strengths, (insert strengths) to the workplace (or firm), and become a valuable member of the team."
Cut this part out. If you feel you should mention ASD, you should avoid over-emphasising the fact that you have it, and any reference to it should be in a positive light.

Put a positive spin on it. You can gain quite a if you mention it. But you need to put it in a positive light. Mention the fact that companies of the likes of the BBC, Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Ford and many others have realised the potential of people on the autism spectrum and the boons they bring to the workplace. You've got to sell yourself.

I personally wouldn't mention it, mentioning any form of disability, especially neurological, brings up immediate red flags to a potential employer IMO, meaning they'll bin your application form.

That being said, because I'm too honest for my own good sometimes, I declare my disabilities and being Aspie every time, and consequently I never get the jobs.

I have a meeting with an Autism specific employment company in Town next week, maybe that will lead to something meaningful, however I refuse on principle to be plonked into some government sponsored scheme where the workers are all on benefits and can only earn about a tenner a week without sanctions.

I haven't spent the last 25 years in voluntary work to end up going down THAT road.

Last edited:
I remember once I applied to a teaching position. The application form asked if I had any medical issues I thought they should know about. I, in my naivity, mentioned that I had had psychotherapy. I then wrote a hugely long note about how it had helped me and made me a stronger person, etc. Needless to say, they never got back to me. I now know that this was most definitely oversharing, but at the time, I had this idea that they could check my medical records (I now know that they can't, medical records are strictly confidential, but I got really convinced at the time that they would check my records, they'd find out and I'd be revealed as some sort of fraudster).

I would not, but that is just me. For some it is a good thing!

I personally wouldn't mention it, mentioning any form of disability, especially neurological, brings up immediate red flags to a potential employer IMO, meaning they'll bin your application form.

That being said, because I'm too honest for my own good sometimes, I declare my disabilities and being Aspie every time, and consequently I never get the jobs.

I have a meeting with an Autism specific employment company in Town next week, maybe that will lead to something meaningful, however I refuse on principle to be plonked into some government sponsored scheme where the workers are all on benefits and can only earn about a tenner a week without sanctions.

I haven't spent the last 25 years in voluntary work to end up going down THAT road.
Totally agree.

Also agree about Gigging people on disability who want to work---that screws everyone. It makes no sense and is a form of social engineering.

What is your purpose in mentioning it? I mean, if you anticipate you will need some accommodations on the job then, yes, mention it as a positive (i.e. how having ASD will benefit them due to the unusual abilities it gives you such as being able to hyper focus, think out of the box, problem solve in unusual ways etc.). But if you don't anticipate needing accommodations then what's the purpose of mentioning it? You haven't said what type of job and setting you are applying to so it's difficult to really answer your question.

Without writing an entire wall of text about the pros and cons of it,I'll just say no because most of the population will see it in a negative light.

It's kind of worrying that a lot of people have said don't mention it, but surely you're then being dishonest on your application form if it asks about any illnesses or disabilities which many will (I don't like it, but ASD is usually classed as a "disability"). What does that say about you? Even worse this shows that many people are frightened of "admitting" that they have ASD for fear of the reaction, almost like it's admitting to something awful like a very serious criminal record, but if we keep being embarrassed about mentioning it nothing will ever change and more people will wrongfully be prejudiced against us. We should all be as open about it as possible, it's definitely NOT something to be ashamed of, in fact in some ways we can often be proud. Also as I stated earlier, if an employer finds out later and you haven't stated it, this could be detrimental, especially if the condition is causing an issue and they're much less likely to be sympathetic in those circumstances.

At best you'd be asked only in an equal opportunities monitoring section of the application (I've seen this a lot in the UK at least), if that's the case the employer isn't supposed to even read this and you should definitely be honest there. If that section does exist then you don't have to mention it elsewhere, but personally I still would towards the end of a written section, E.g. in other supporting information, after stating every good reason why you'd be suitable for the job and as I said in my reply earlier it should be done in a positive way, E.g. "like many people on the autistic spectrum I am considered very intelligent" and make sure you've stated anything relevant that you're good at that many people on the spectrum wouldn't be, E.g. you might be perfectly fine working with other people, then if a special interest is relevant to the position you can even talk about this.

PS: I've just thought of an amazing scenario, you mention it on the application, you attend an interview and the interviewer who would be your future boss mentions that they're on the autistic spectrum too, wouldn't that be brilliant? It could happen, but I doubt we'd be that lucky. :D

Last edited:
Without writing an entire wall of text about the pros and cons of it, I'll just say no because most of the population will see it in a negative light.

What he said. The one consideration we have no real control over, regardless of alleged civil legal protections from one country to another.

The more personal information one provides to a business entity, the more they are apt to use it against you rather than for you. Fundamentally not in your best interest, IMO.

I wouldn't unless it's absolutely necessary. My current job is specifically for a person with a disability but if it wasn't for that I wouldn't mention my disability unless I had to.

So in my mind, the resume and cover letter is simply a means to get the interview. Human resource managers spend an average of six seconds reviewing an individual resume. You want your resume to be specific to the role your interviewing for. Customize it. It needs to contain developed and obvious correlations between your experience/skills and the responsibilities of the role/team needs. I completely agree with prior commenters including Sportster and Judge. Do not share that you are an HFA. The lack of knowledge and understanding that most human resource professionals have will assure your resume wont make it six seconds. Doing so will assure that you will not get the chance to interview face-to-face where you can really shine and point out the companies needs and your unique qualities (including the value of HFA traits) to fill those needs. I desperately want to tell you to celebrate your gift of autism in this process. I cannot. The point is to get the interview and then go get the job. I do not feel I am recommending misrepresentation. I do hope this wasn't too much. I appreciate you reaching out to the community. This is a very important topic. Thank you, Gracey.

Huge heartfelt thanks for your collective responses and experiences/opinions. I do value them.

I wanted to mention HFA because I'm honest and it will come up during an interview in order to explain a gap in my work history.

I didn't want to drop the 'A bomb' mid interview and flummox the interviewer. (If they have little experience or knowledge of the condition, they may automatically think 'rainman' and in their mind the interview is already over)

I was hoping to slip the word in during the application process, surround it with many, many positive examples of skills and abilities and previous examples of doing exactly the same job only for a different company.
(Pre-breakdown)

Why mention it at all?

I'm going to presume my aspie-ness will start leaking out of me at some point.
I can't keep up the pretense of "expected behaviour" indefinitely.(although I will do my best)
I can't control the opinions of others but it would be a relief to be tolerated rather than disliked in a workplace.

Throw in the word Aspie and some people who know a little bit about the condition attribute any quirks to ASD and not to being an offensive, insufferable know it all. (Judged against what is usual for NT, not what is usual for Aspie)

Quietly I feel quite saddened that I perhaps ought not to mention it at all.

I wouldn't mention it on the application. I would only focus on your strengths and skills. These days most jobs get so many applicants, they will be looking for any excuse to weed some out.
If you get an interview and you feel like you're making a good impression, maybe bring it up then. If it's the type of job that will likely require several interviews, I wouldn't bring it up until necessary or appropriate. By that stage, you will be a serious contender. It's not being dishonest, it's just being smart about it. I'm sure none of the other applicants will be deliberately bringing up a potential negative.

New Threads

Top Bottom