• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I or don't I ?

I think what's better is to just tell the job applicant your strengths and weaknesses, if something bothers you tell them.

As much as we should all want to celebrate neurodiversity in the workplace,I really don't think that the possibility of denying yourself employment due to misunderstanding of your condition is the right way to go ;)

As much as we should all want to celebrate neurodiversity in the workplace,I really don't think that the possibility of denying yourself employment due to misunderstanding of your condition is the right way to go ;)

Neurodiversity in the workplace will NEVER happen.

Not as long as there are morons out there who think anyone who isn't NT is retarded! I've been called that and worse over the years.

Not at this point in time no. Even though there are technically laws that make it illegal to discriminate against those with disabilities (at least here in US), we all know that those laws don't do much in terms of covert discrimination. The employer can still discriminate against you if they don't mention the real reason behind it (they don't understand/like your disability). All they have to say is that they found someone more suited for the job. I hope that employers become more informed and can get past their biases against neurodiverse people, but I have a feeling it won't happen anytime soon so for now most of us have to hide it.

Not at this point in time no. Even though there are technically laws that make it illegal to discriminate against those with disabilities (at least here in US), we all know that those laws don't do much in terms of covert discrimination. The employer can still discriminate against you if they don't mention the real reason behind it (they don't understand/like your disability). All they have to say is that they found someone more suited for the job. I hope that employers become more informed and can get past their biases against neurodiverse people, but I have a feeling it won't happen anytime soon so for now most of us have to hide it.

With the neurodiverse only making up an estimated 3% of the population,I wouldn't hold my breath on it being anytime soon.

As a former employer,I hired based on abilities and overlooked disabilities if the new hire was able to perform my required tasks.
One guy had polio and struggled to walk.
It was apparent because it was visible.
He got benchwork,but was a very reliable and valuable employee.

Hidden disabilities like what some may view as mental disorders are not as easy to spot or predict,so bringing it up in the beginning before being hired would most likely get your application trash binned.

I have an aspie who I work with on a volunteer basis who often cannot focus on a task at hand.

One day,he works like a well oiled machine,while other days,he spends hours on simple tasks.

I was put in charge of him in order to help him gain his focus because I understand a little bit about why he struggles some days on certain tasks.

He gets overloaded and falls apart,so part of my task is to try to make his job not so stressful.
If I see him struggling with something,I find him a better suited task.

Each of us on the spectrum has our own positives and negatives,but unfortunately,sometimes the deficits will overshadow the strong points in an interview.

Last edited:
I would definitely not put it in a job application or letter, because many people do have misconceptions. Almost *every time* I tell someone I am on the spectrum, they say that I don't *seem* like someone with autism. It's pretty frustrating.

As far as informing your place of work, if you think it would be beneficial TO YOU, then tell your potential employer or even current employer in person. At that point, you are right in front of them, a person. Not a piece of paper with information on it. You can learn a lot about whether or not the job is the right fit FOR YOU based on their reaction or how the application process proceeds.

I wouldn't worry about telling potential employers or collaborators with respect to being honest and upfront. I try to look at it as an opportunity to see if it is the right fit for me.
I wouldn't want to work somewhere every day where I feel like I have to hide all my oddities and sensory sensitivities. Even though I don't typically need accommodation (except in times of extreme stress), it really helps to know that if I'm acting extra weird, the people I work closely with understand it's just my autism showing.

To date and as far as I'm aware I don't need any special considerations or adaptations.

I care alot about the effort I put in, pride in what I do and like to see a result from my efforts (task complete - expectations met or superceded) ...

...if I'm left alone to get on with it and not asked to do several other things at the same time.

If someone wants the very best of me and at a quicker than average pace just let me get on with the job in hand.

I find it difficult to 'coast' in a task (skive) it's a waste of my time and I'm not going to see a result (job done)

I'm 'inflexible' in that I can't apply the focus and drive to several different tasks all at the same time?

So if I have a face like thunder when asked to "just jump on to" a different task by my bosses, it isn't because I think I'm something special or am lazy or don't respect the boss or take them seriously and have a bad attitude.

It's because I generally have a face like thunder when focused and I'm struggling to come down and out of one 'zone' in order to make the switch and decide what this new task requires of me in order to carry it out correctly and give of my best.

This happens alot in places I've worked. Misinterpretations and misunderstandings, managers drawing incorrect conclusions and judging me without understanding what's happening to my brain and how I 'open new tabs' for a new task.

They draw their conclusions based on what may be typical for a Non-aspie, not what's typical for an Aspie.

To date and as far as I'm aware I don't need any special considerations or adaptations.

I care alot about the effort I put in, pride in what I do and like to see a result from my efforts (task complete - expectations met or superceded) ...

...if I'm left alone to get on with it and not asked to do several other things at the same time.

If someone wants the very best of me and at a quicker than average pace just let me get on with the job in hand.

I find it difficult to 'coast' in a task (skive) it's a waste of my time and I'm not going to see a result (job done)

I'm 'inflexible' in that I can't apply the focus and drive to several different tasks all at the same time?

So if I have a face like thunder when asked to "just jump on to" a different task by my bosses, it isn't because I think I'm something special or am lazy or don't respect the boss or take them seriously and have a bad attitude.

It's because I generally have a face like thunder when focused and I'm struggling to come down and out of one 'zone' in order to make the switch and decide what this new task requires of me in order to carry it out correctly and give of my best.

This happens alot in places I've worked. Misinterpretations and misunderstandings, managers drawing incorrect conclusions and judging me without understanding what's happening to my brain and how I 'open new tabs' for a new task.

They draw their conclusions based on what may be typical for a Non-aspie, not what's typical for an Aspie.
:p

Unless it would someway affect job performance it's probably best to keep it to yourself. Most places of employment are not as enlightened as you think.

People may find this funny, but the amount of times I've been asked, "what's wrong?" or "why am I upset?" when I feel perfectly fine and my friend says I can actually look, "quite nasty" due to my facial expression even when I'm just relaxing. My resting face and lack of expression is often severely misunderstood and this definitely doesn't help me in many situations in life, especially when I struggle to control the level of my voice which sounds normal volume to me even when I'm told that I'm shouting (this alone is sometimes mistaken for aggression). All this is probably more common with autistic people and relating this to the original thread, it definitely wouldn't help in job interviews if it can't be controlled or when trying to relate to other people after getting a job, it's often difficult enough being autistic as it is and this only makes it worse. If people understood this better it could be helpful, but even if they did, reactions to facial expressions and/or body language is often done subconsciously.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on the job a lot. How much your asd would affect your ability to do the job?

From my experience.. I applied to become a personal support for autistic children who need daily support at school etc. So.. I thought my hfa would be seen as strength there, because experiencing what those kids are (on a milder level of course), is thousand times more important than just reading from papers, how one should help them. I mentioned it only when I was already invited to interview, but for my surprise, the interviewer didn't show any kind of reaction to that... I was hired though.
Then I proceeded to work with 2 families. To one of them I told about my asd (their kid is also asperger), the mother was really surprised, almost as she didn't believe me, because "you don't look autistic". And it never came up again. To the other family I haven't mentioned that, because they seem like more demanding type of people and I'm afraid they'd question my ability to take care of their kid.
So.. for the conclusion, from my experience, there's absolutely zero difference when I've talked about it and when I haven't. But again, it depends a lot on the specific job you're applying for.

One crucial element of any job application process is that you need to control as much of the dialog as you possibly can, because that's how you get your message across. Since you have no way to know how this possible employer would react to your spectrum disclosure, disclosing it would remove your control of your own narrative.

However, couching your strengths in a sharp and punchy version of what you have posted above, allows you to state your qualities very clearly, and establish yourself as highly competent, very focussed, efficient, motivated and dedicated to success. It will be far less important for this employer to know why you are these things as it will be to know that you are these things.

In the interview itself, should they remark on these qualities as being so unusual and valuable, and if you feel the dialog is going very well, you could decide to disclose at that point, though I don't think I would. I think that I would simply respond that you gain a great deal of a sense of reward from being engaged with your work - another positive attribute.

Mention High Functioning Autism in a job application?

I'm still drafting a cover letter.

I'm guessing I'm going to be up against some strong stereotyping and lack of knowledge (it's entirely possible I could be mistaken though)

I'm just trying to get my foot in the door.
Put a positive spin on the condition.

How might I word the following in a balanced way? (Not too humble and not too arrogant or presumptious):

" I won't focus on what I can't do, in my own circumstances I don't view these conditions as disabilities, I will bring my abilities to the role and with the right conditions be a valuable part of the team.

If the term "High Functioning Autism" means you're unsure about my suitability for this role and what it may mean for you as an employer and me as an employee I can bring a lot of current information to an interview for us to discuss"

Are you getting any immediate feelings from the above?
Too pushy? Smart-ass? Teaching the manager to suck eggs? Pointing out the manager may be ignorant or prone to stereotyping?
Or
Polite but assertive and to the point?

I'd appreciate any opinion or input
Thank you.

To me, the term “high functioning autism” can mean a broad range of things, to me though it was not an official diagnostic label it technically means someone with Autistic Disorder with an IQ of 70 or above, however two people with the same diagnosis and IQ can still vary greatly in their oral and/or written language skills, reaction or non-reaction to sensory stimuli or ability to deal with changes, social skills, and their abilities, strengths and challenges. Honestly, unless you describe how HFA affects you, to me, although I am diagnosed with Autistic Disorder and have been assessed to have an average IQ and can have a conversation which I suppose makes me “high-functioning” (to me the term “high functioning” just means that someone with autism has an IQ in the normal or above normal range), doesn’t really tell me that much because I don’t know you.

If you were diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome or PDD-NOS, you may want to use those terms instead because that may sound “milder” than HFA (I’m not saying it is necessarily “milder” or that employers would necessarily view them as “milder” but I think there is the possibility, especially with Asperger’s if an employer is knowledgeable about it and knows that it means no clinically significant delay in language, cognitive and self-help skills). If you were diagnosed with PDD-NOS and have good verbal ability or other areas of strengths that are relevant to the job, you can mention those. However, the term PDD-NOS does not necessarily mean that one has a normal IQ, but if you want you can mention that or mention proof of academic or intellectual strengths (e.g. completion of an academic diploma or degree, ability to problem-solve).

If you feel that you may need reasonable accommodations, if I were you I may consider putting it on the application and be clear that you would still be able to perform all the essential duties of the job with accommodations. However, if you do not think that you would need any accommodations, I may reconsider it especially if it is for a competitive company or job just because I’d want to get hired, unless you feel that’s help your interviewer understand you (sometimes may be better for the interviewer to understand you may have difficulties with social interaction or (if applicable) verbal comprehension and communication etc.

Also, if you just say “I won’t focus on what I can’t do” without being more detailed or specific on your strengths and how those will outweigh your challenges, unfortunately if I were an employer (which I don’t think I’ll be) I might start wondering just what is it that you can’t do. It needs to be considered too that not all employers may be knowledgeable about ASDs, though I can’t say that I believe an employer being knowledgeable about ASDs would necessarily increase the prospects of you getting employed if you mentioned it.

However, personally I think that in some jobs in some cases sometimes having an ASD could aid you in understanding the perspective of others in a similar or difficult situation, or could enable you to be very focused in the job tasks if you are interested in the job, so in that way you can present it as an asset. However, the employer may not necessarily hold the same view, although if for example I was applying to a job as a special Ed teacher (a career I am considering) and the school rejected me solely based on that information or disclosure I’m not sure I would be comfortable with the school’s apparent attitude to autism in the first place, but I wouldn’t have any real proof that they rejected me based on that and there are often many qualified applicants.

It is your choice, however personally if I did want to mention it and it would not be obvious at the interview I may want to consider mentioning it at the interview instead (unless for whatever reason there is no interview). I may also consider just how much I want this job and just how much getting it is important to me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom