• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I Like Stuffed Animals More Than People?

inkfingers

21 year old artist
I have always collected stuffed animals, to the point where my bed has been overtaken by plush animals, and my closet harbors a small village of stuffed animals. Here's the thing: I kind of personify my toys, and get really mad if my siblings touch them, and I sleep with them, and love them to death. Am I using them as a substitute for real friendships? I don't really want to pursue a friendship, because people in general are hard to talk to and they make me tired. Is it ok to be more attached to stuffed animals than people? (I wouldn't put them over my family, though).

Seems fine to me. People suck. Hate most of them.

Couldnt freaking pay me to go to something like a social event. Heck with that. The very idea is disgusting. Much rather spend my time with dogs or cats.

I think the rule in life is that anything which makes you happy without harming others is okay to do.

I love stuffed animals, too, but not to the extent that you describe. And I mostly just love Winnie the Pooh and ducks, so not just any ol' stuffed animal!

But they're all cool, because they're fluffy and stuff. :eek:

It sounds like you are using them as a substitute for people, and avoiding growing as a person.

If this is how you feel then who`s to blame you dear ? So NO youre not wrong hon. Im the same with my pets actually they are my LIFE and reason im still breathing :)

Each one of us have our way of managing pieces of our life. Personification of inantimate objects happens all around us. My NT neighbor refers to his truck as big red Ted and carries on active conversations with it. He loves the truck. My NT neighbor has personified the truck. My NT neighbor has no one he can safely share his honest feelings with. He mostly needs to just say things out loud and get his thoughts said. Riding around in his truck provides him that outlet. This seems normal, although it would be nice for him to know a person he could talk with. As men these safe people can be difficult to find and trust. I think your personification of stuffed animals and characters is just fine. On the other hand don’t be afraid to take the step toward self actualization thru human contact again. Granted the result sometimes can be painful, but when human contact is unconditional and mutual the result can be incredibly rewarding. Thank you for your post.

Last edited:
Who doesn't? I've never met a mean one yet!:bearface:
Plushies.jpg

Stuffed animals are very comforting and they'll never be rude or nasty to you. So yeah, I understand why so many of us prefer them over other humans. Especially since I own enough to open a small toy store, including some that I made by hand.

@inkfingers Sounds perfectly normal to me. If you model your "personal growth", as an individual, on others in this world then you open yourself up to be like they are. Who wants that? I prefer my pets over people - always have and always will. People suck!

Seems like I've read somewhere that those on the spectrum seem to like objects more than other people. I understand the stuffed animals - they're so soft and cute these days, it's hard for me to resist them - and sometimes I can't, so I do have a few here and can use the excuse of having them for grandkids to sleep with when they come. lol But I like them, too. But, just as bad - blankets have become so soft and pretty that I find them hard to resist and I can't come up with a legitimate reason for all the blankets I have - never will that many people spend the night here. But for me, it's the softness - can't get enough.

Stuffed Animal Love, my brother had a security blanket, he also had a bunny l bought him when he was younger that he loved to death, much like his blanket. Think it's a great idea, but don't get a dog, because dogs don't understand stuffed animal cuteness. Cats however love stugged animals. They will adopt a cat stuffed animal.

New Threads

Top Bottom