• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Discrimination?

If it doesn't say it's replacing the usual tickets, then I would assume both digital and normal tickets were available.

Ed

...and would this forum be discrimination against anyone without an on-line device?

One can argue things like this are "non-essential". The concept of "discrimination" against a group of people can be a bit nebulous when one is speaking from this perspective. That is, if you don't have some sort of "social extension" in order to participate in whatever activity is presented,...transportation, communication device, physical aid, etc. At what point does it become "discrimination" in the legal sense and need some sort of intervention to eliminate the barriers.

I guess paperless tickets about the impact of using paper on the environment but not trying to show discrimination is a tricky balance.

...and would this forum be discrimination against anyone without an on-line device?

One can argue things like this are "non-essential". The concept of "discrimination" against a group of people can be a bit nebulous when one is speaking from this perspective. That is, if you don't have some sort of "social extension" in order to participate in whatever activity is presented,...transportation, communication device, physical aid, etc. At what point does it become "discrimination" in the legal sense and need some sort of intervention to eliminate the barriers.

people adhering to social distancing can meet outside a kind of forum but in person

Site seems to suggest you can book online or phone them. So the usual options remain available to anyone.

The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo | Covid-19 FAQs

I think "discrimination" is a bit of a loaded term in this instance. With regards to not owning a printer or computer - public libraries have both. Kristy used to go there when she needed to print something. Failing that, family or friends would probably be able to assist. Or, if you work in an office job, or the place you work has an office - there's always options available.

At the end of the day, if you choose not to own something, and then encounter a situation where you need one - that's your problem, not other people's.

Ed

I've sensed this for a long time

It's almost becoming impossible to not have a cell phone depending on what you do and where you go... I feel bad for some of the elderly people who have great difficulty adjusting to newer technologies with the world changing so rapidly, one guy I worked with yesterday who is only 57 told me that he doesn't own a computer, likely doesn't have an e-mail address I suppose... It sounds like he wants to learn but doesn't know where to start... He does have a cell phone but only a small flip phone...

But then I also know people, some on here, who simply don't want a cell phone... So much of the world is going electronic, and I choose to make as much of my life untraceable by anything on a computer, which is becoming harder by the day...

I get shut out by phone stuff all the time. Since my husband and I retired we share a phone. It makes perfect sense 98% of the tme. But Paypal wouldn't allow me to use the same phone number as my husband even though it was a different account. (I recall it was paypal anyway.)
I print boarding passes at the airport and choose to get event tickets at the "Will Call" window.

It's almost becoming impossible to not have a cell phone depending on what you do and where you go... I feel bad for some of the elderly people who have great difficulty adjusting to newer technologies with the world changing so rapidly, one guy I worked with yesterday who is only 57 told me that he doesn't own a computer, likely doesn't have an e-mail address I suppose... It sounds like he wants to learn but doesn't know where to start... He does have a cell phone but only a small flip phone...

But then I also know people, some on here, who simply don't want a cell phone... So much of the world is going electronic, and I choose to make as much of my life untraceable by anything on a computer, which is becoming harder by the day...

Great point, not everyone wants a cell phone!

Yes, this irritates me. Increasingly, there is a assumption that everyone has a smartphone - the majority do, but still there are plenty who don't, or who don't want to use it for that purpose. But services generally want to cater for the majority and not the minority, so the minority are often excluded, and this isn't fair.

Another one where I live, is that you pay for the state TV channels on your electricity bill. So it is assumed that if you have electricity, then you automatically must also have a TV, when that may not be the case. The TV licence system in the UK is fairer, as at least you only pay if you actually have a TV.

I don't expect everyone to have a smartphone. I got my first iPhone in 2018 lol. I had a flip phone and a Sidekick phone until 2015! And then I had a truly awful knockoff smartphone that only lasted a few years until it broke. My parents gave it to me to use at college.
The only reason I have a new iPhone now is because my dad got it for me for Christmas last year so I figured I should put it to good use. But other than that I really couldn't care less what kind of phone I have lol. I've also mentioned that I'm tech-illiterate. I only know how to use it for its basic functions but I don't mind!! I only need tech for very simple things.

So to stay on topic, yes, it's silly to expect everyone to use a smartphone. Some people don't need one or don't care.

Not just a cell phone, but a *smart phone* in a lot of cases. And a relatively up to date one too (as apps and QR codes are required).

My grandmother lives in rural Pennsylvania. She doesn't have internet. She does have a smart phone but all she knows how to do is call and receive texts. She had to have my aunt schedule her covid vax, and my aunt had to come up with her laptop and mobile hotspot so that she could do a required virtual medical appointment before her hip surgery.

You can't apply for a job anymore without internet access, a cell phone is expected, etc. There's a growing push to have internet access regulated as a utility in the US because, like phone, electric, water and (maybe) gas, you need it to function in society.

Not just a cell phone, but a *smart phone* in a lot of cases. And a relatively up to date one too (as apps and QR codes are required).

My grandmother lives in rural Pennsylvania. She doesn't have internet. She does have a smart phone but all she knows how to do is call and receive texts. She had to have my aunt schedule her covid vax, and my aunt had to come up with her laptop and mobile hotspot so that she could do a required virtual medical appointment before her hip surgery.

You can't apply for a job anymore without internet access, a cell phone is expected, etc. There's a growing push to have internet access regulated as a utility in the US because, like phone, electric, water and (maybe) gas, you need it to function in society.

In my opinion that's unfair, discriminatory and should be unlawful

The social reality of "discrimination" is that in itself it doesn't nebulously constitute a civil wrong. That it's dependent upon the circumstances as to whether or not it actually violates laws. Otherwise it's just another unfortunate- and ugly fact of life and little else.

Legally speaking in my country it's perfectly legal to discriminate if one operates a private club with distinct membership considerations. Where it wasn't ever intended to be available to the public at large.

Reminiscent of the Augusta National Golf Club which was unavailable for persons of color long after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But a fellow named Tiger Woods made them look bad, so they inevitably changed that policy in 1990. With the Dept. of Justice having never formally interceded on behalf of the civil rights movement.

Nationally embarrassing, but a perfect example of how discrimination in itself is not inherently illegal in the US.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom