• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Disagree" Feature

Ste11aeres

The "disagree" feature is really getting on my nerves.
Without it, people were forced to explain exactly why they disagreed. This led to discussion.
People sometimes click that button after my posts, and I am left unsure of what they mean.
Sometimes posts are complex, and say several things, and then it is unclear which of the stated points the other member is disagreeing with.
Sometimes the post might be simple, yet it is still unclear what "disagree" means.
Here is one example. In a discussion that had veered into gender, and men's prejudice against women, I wrote "It depends on the individual man in question". This meant that some individual men are prejudiced, but others are not. Someone pushed "disagree". Now I don't know if they mean that they think all men are prejudiced, or if they think no men are.
I'm not trying to blame anyone in this post, or anything. It's just that this feature makes disagreements more confusing, not less.

I kind of agree with you here, actually. The "disagree" button is a little bit mysterious to begin with...personally, if someone thinks I'm wrong, I like to know why.

Without it, people were forced to explain exactly why they disagreed. This led to discussion.
Did it? I haven't been here long, but I hardly ever see anyone express much disagreement. I fully expect to see more disagreement expressed via clicking the Disagree button than we'd otherwise see via discussion.

I honestly would never use the disagree button, seems weird like not adding to any value to anything. Why make a comment at all, if it's not adding to the conversation?

But it may not deserve such validation. Why resort to clicking a button to support it? Why not require a post explaining why agreement has occurred, as you asked of the use of the disagree button?
I am stating that invalidation has no value, however that is my perspective. Sorry if disagreeing was important to you, my personal view differs.

I suppose I"m a bit late for the party but I have a few words to share about something like a "disagree" or "dislike" feature.

I've heard this debate over and over on Facebook as well how people want a dislike button as well, though fact is, that it's easy to dislike something with the push of a button. Granted, it's similar to liking something but it just seems a bit more childish to just dislike stuff from the get go. Also considering we, on this forum, don't have a way to anonymously like something, I can see how it will get an argument up. Quite sure some people will eventually just call someone out asking why something of theirs is being disliked. It's the kind of criticism many people are not ready for. Leaving a response out and flat out ignoring something you don't like is something most people can tolerate. However, it's when people actively make an effort to show them they don't like it, when the proverbial excrement hits the rotating air transportation apparatus. Not to mention how one dislike can spiral into a giant maelstrom of dislikes for no other reason than the get behind someone who is disliked it in the first place. That already is something I notice with these likes on facebook.

That, and I guess there's something psychological to addressing something as positive which people can deal with a lot better than when their ramblings, postings and whatever they share are being addressed as overly negative, despite it might not be in their intention to make them look like a downer.

But it may not deserve such validation. Why resort to clicking a button to support it? Why not require a post explaining why agreement has occurred, as you asked of the use of the disagree button?

Because sometimes it would just be a repeat of the original post.

I'm late on this, too, but just wanted to give my opinion. I actually preferred the "disagree" button. Another poster and I just got into it yesterday because she posted something negative in regards to my post and I posted something negative back, etc. It really would've gone much better had she just clicked the disagree button and went on to give her own advice to the OP, ignoring my post entirely. I mean, I assume that's what the disagree button was there for, to document one's disapproval in a respectful way. So, anyway, I think it was a good idea, but I can see where some might consider it a negative thing.

I like that side of the conversation. Lets see if we can't come up with a better and less negative word than Disagree?

Brent, I appreciate your willingness to allow people to disagree again, but to my mind there is possibly no more benign word to apply here. To have to post why you don't agree just derails the thread and often starts an argument, whereas to just click a button to disagree allows for the thread to move on.
I believe the word "disagree" should stand as the title of the button and as the Op states they think people should be Forced to explain why they disagree, perhaps if the person being disagreed with wants somebody to elaborate, they can either PM those not in agreement or start a new thread on the topic of the disagreement.

It's the kind of criticism many people are not ready for.
Exactly! I see this as a supportive community. I certainly don't come here for conflict, arguing, criticism, disagreements, grammar correction, or negativity.
There is more than enough ugliness in real life!
I am glad it's gone. Some folks are shamelessly argumentative and have no hesitation to spread negativity and conflict. I prefer to keep people like that in The real world and not bring drama here.
I think it says a lot about a persons character to be arguing and distributing "disagree" votes. I would have given a dozen or more to someone, if I were willing to sink to such levels. I have a higher standard for positive behavior and prefer to keep this place a Happy one. :)

I also think, as Aspies, we worry enough already, about our communications with others, without adding an element of worry that people will disagree here too. Causing a user to not post at all, or be reluctant to share feelings/ opinions.

I received two dislikes while it was up, and being hypersensitive at times, this was profoundly hurtful and disruptive to me. Good riddance.

Thanks for banishing that feature Brent. :D

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying that
people should be Forced to explain why they disagree.

My feelings are that just disagreeing with someone has no apparent purpose. E. G. If we were having a face to face conversation it would not go like:

"I think the world would be better if unicorns were still alive."
"I disagree" ....Person walks away.

There is a whole lot to disagree with, although an explanation would be necessary for clarity, I truly believe people can hold their tongue as opposed to just out right stating "Your Wrong!".

Long story short it's rude. But being inquisitive, or enlightening is fine. I think this all goes back to mama telling me if I don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. Nobody likes an argument and nobody likes to be told they're wrong.

Post Script: There are at least 2 things wrong the unicorn statement, but some people might disagree with me on that and that's ok ;)

I havent actually noticed the disagree button:p
But I'd like to say that the reason I have stopped posting on social networks such as Google+ and even in real life conversations is because people instead of trying to keep a civil debate want to make you feel insuperior and in the case of him not having a valid argument attack you personally. I fear people not understanding, being disappointed and annoyed by me. Here I feel like people share a kind of unity in thought, and we deal with things with extreme understanding, civilness (not a word, I made it up) and most of all "from our hearts". But I'm still kinda new here and am still in the "this is amazing" phase.

New Threads

Top Bottom