• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disability, Difference, Or Both/Neither?

Is your autism a disability, difference, or both/neither?

• it is a difference

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • it is a disability

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • it is both

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • it is neither/something else (can and will you please explain?)

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
One of the frustrating things about terms like “disability” is that their meanings are altered to suit different agendas and contexts. And people often seem, to me, to define them mostly according to the subjective values and emotions that get attached to them instead of using concrete definitions.

Maybe I have a skewed/incorrect idea about what words like “disability” and “impairment “ mean. I truly do not know....it would not be the first time.

It is one of the reasons I hate words and would often like to disappear into the forest and never speak or write to anyone ever again, just stop trying to understand or be understood.

Feel you here. There are so many contexts to view the written word. Don't give up. l ask for clarification from people. I also learned to state what you want two different ways if people can't understand your first request. This really helps, and l am a better word person. Don't feel so discouraged.

I didn't say that was what they meant.
I was explaining the way the other post presented them.
Im sorry, tree, I know that you didn’t state this was your belief about what those words meant and I didn’t assume it was your belief about what those words meant. I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. I was trying to explain my confusion. Thank you for trying to help!

Im sorry, tree, I know that you didn’t state this was your belief about what those words meant and I didn’t assume it was your belief about what those words meant. I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. I was trying to explain my confusion. Thank you for trying to help!

I know.
I understand what you were saying.
It's ok.

Its not a problem of word choice.
If I can't convey my ideas effectively, it is.

I will try another way. Typically,
  • In our local school system, ASD1s stay in their regular classrooms with adjustments to their assignments. ASD2/3s require separate instruction/classrooms.
  • For disability benefits, ASD2s require a representative payee to oversee their money. ASD3s require a guardian. ASD1s require neither of those.
Even if the lines between these designations are unclear, they do exist.

Last edited:
If I can't convey my ideas effectively, it is.

I will try another way. Typically,
  • In our local school system, ASD1s stay in their regular classrooms with adjustments to their assignments. ASD2/3s require separate instruction/classrooms.
  • For disability benefits, ASD2s require a representative payee to oversee their money. ASD3s require a guardian. ASD1s require neither of those.
Even if the lines between these designations are unclear, they do exist.

Good job explaining. I know my eyes get strained reading regulations for schools, hospitals, goverment bureaucracies.

Yes the breadth of the spectrum makes this hard to draw conclusions from, as if we are ASD1 we may not have experienced the condition in the same way as someone who's ASD2 or 3.

But I also think that to a degree disability is imposed by society rather than owned by individuals. Most of what is disabling could be helped with better than it is, assumptions of what is supposedly 'normal' are disabling in themselves too, the world is organised to cater to perceptions of how most people supposedly are, which change according to fashions and current dominant beliefs.

Definitely a disability. I can see nothing good with it. Everything I can do, the average NT can do as well or better - and they don't have to put up with what amounts to chronic pain. (it's not really, as far as I can tell, it's just that I can't ignore all the regular forms of minor pain that everyone is in all the time but don't notice)

I don't even see how it's a part of my identity. If I was just a regular person who happened to be somewhat introverted, what would actually be different in my life, except that everything would be a lot easier?

I think it is both because some can control this better but others have more things attached to the ASD, like my son also has UC and bad migraines also his heart. Because of the UC he doesn't go out much, bathroom is a problem, also because of the high anxiety it is compounded where other's wouldn't feel the same. Asperger's makes it hard for him to talk to people much, and in this day and age getting a job is hard enough without adding the anxiety of that too. If you can't find work because you are attached to a bathroom and the anxiety of going out prevents you from being able to work then it is a disability.

I admit it's a little challenging for me to differentiate what's due to the autism and what's due to other things, but for me, it seems to be only a disability. I used to have the stereotypical Aspie memory as a kid, but years of severe depression stole that from me, and then ECT for said depression made things even worse. I am not blessed with a useful special interest, not anything I could ever turn into a career or make money off of or even often share with others. I suspect that if I were not autistic, I would not have selective mutism, and that is a huge challenge for me. It means I can't work even basic customer service jobs that people say "anyone" can get, because they require more social interaction than I can handle while still being able to speak. My sensory issues are also a major problem, and because of them, I have a tendency to partially shut down when I'm in public places. And I really can't think of anything positive I still have that results from my autism.

years of severe depression stole that from me
I'm sorry to hear that dragonfire42. I think depression, ptsd, anxiety and possibly other disorders affect memory quite dramatically actually. It's such a shame.
Do you at least find some enjoyment in your special interests? Even if they are not something you can earn a living from.

For me its the emotions. The fear and rage are powerful enough to cripple me for days.
Before wearing off. The other problem is not knowing what triggers them. It could litterly happen at anytime. Thats in addition to the anxiety of holding a job. Doing it right. Among other people who may or may not be in a good mood or want to do their job. Then making sure to get to work on time. Having enough money to get you there and pay the bills. Then hoping you can afford some kind of food.

I'm sorry to hear that dragonfire42. I think depression, ptsd, anxiety and possibly other disorders affect memory quite dramatically actually. It's such a shame.
Do you at least find some enjoyment in your special interests? Even if they are not something you can earn a living from.

Yeah, I heard something about how severe depression can cause actual brain damage, I think (although I don't remember where I heard that - maybe something on the radio?). I do get a lot of enjoyment out of my special interests, but at the same time I feel like it's a waste of time.

I do get a lot of enjoyment out of my special interests, but at the same time I feel like it's a waste of time.

Well that is good. Maybe you could focus on the enjoyment part. It doesn't seem like much when you would wish you could work etc but it's something. I can relate, by the way, so I'm suggesting it because over time I've tried to focus more on the enjoyment rather than hoping to be necessarily successful at something. I still wish I could be more 'successful'. In an NT sort of way. But I'm working on that because it's not realistic for me in many areas :/

For me its the emotions. The fear and rage are powerful enough to cripple me for days.
Before wearing off. The other problem is not knowing what triggers them. It could litterly happen at anytime.
For me, that has always been a delayed reaction. I can "set aside" strong emotions temporarily when I need to keep a cool head, but I don't think anybody can turn them off altogether. I just try to get to a quiet, safe place when I can finally let them play out (and prayer helps, too).

I've heard that is how police are trained to react to crisis situations, too.
full

For me, that has always been a delayed reaction. I can "set aside" strong emotions temporarily when I need to keep a cool head, but I don't think anybody can turn them off altogether. I just try to get to a quiet, safe place when I can finally let them play out (and prayer helps, too).

I've heard that is how police are trained to react to crisis situations, too.
full

Thanks.

I look at mine as a difference, although some of the comorbidities that came with mine can be disabling at times.
For my son however, it is both a disability and a difference.

New Threads

Top Bottom